To be Blount the Bills Run Game has Beane in a Slump !

T master

5 hours ago, Kwai San said:

No old guys.....please no old washed up RB's.  Been there done that have a closet full of tee shirts.....ya want one?

No More Old FAT OUTA SHAPE RB's.....

Yes sir! the road to improving the RB position in the modern NFL is through young, fresh legs -- not old & burned out legs.

In addition - most of the young legs are also cheaper - possibly an increasingly significant issue given potential COVID-19 impacts on upcoming salary caps.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Good grief - when will people recognize that the team, as currently constructed, is playing the way that modern NFL teams want to play?

l

Not buying in to that at all. I will agree that spread high flying offenses seem to be the way game plans are set but having a competent run game is crucial. It doesn't have to be the focal point like Tennessee, Cleveland and Minnesota but it should be respected.  You shouldn't always have to line up in Shotgun formation on 3rd and 2. We are pathetic on short yard runs because this line as good as it is in pass pro can't push defenders off the ball. I've said it so many times. If we had a respected run game this Offense especially the way Josh is playing would be absolutely filthy and unstoppable.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If the problem with the run game is the OL not being able to block for runs between the tackles and not coordinating with the WR/TE to block outside the tackles, bringing in 10 star running backs won't fix it.

League average this season is 116 rush YPG.  Bills have exceeded that in 3 games now, and been within 90% of average in 2 additional games.  So 7 games rush yards well below average.  Two of those games with below average rush yards, Seattle and SF, the game plan was clearly to "lay a load of Josh Allen on ya".  Two of those games with above average rush yards, the game plan was clearly to "run down your throat until you stop us"

I don't think it's the backs, entirely, or it would never work. 

Both Singletary & Moss have learning to do. First lesson is to Not fumble. Its literally the worst thing a RB can do. Moss almost had 2 against the niners and Devin's fumble v the Chargers. Neither of these guys are breaking any 60 yard runs. But considering they're identical in size and style you gotta get your 4 ypc any way you can. OL has to block better. It's not all on Devin or Zack. Gimme 50 from both of them and that's more than enough to set up the play action. 

20 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Not buying in to that at all. I will agree that spread high flying offenses seem to be the way game plans are set but having a competent run game is crucial. It doesn't have to be the focal point like Tennessee, Cleveland and Minnesota but it should be respected.  You shouldn't always have to line up in Shotgun formation on 3rd and 2. We are pathetic on short yard runs because this line as good as it is in pass pro can't push defenders off the ball. I've said it so many times. If we had a respected run game this Offense especially the way Josh is playing would be absolutely filthy and unstoppable.

You usually can't have it both ways.  A lot of it has to do with the type of OL play that we have.  Currently, the guys we have are pretty good at pass protecting, which in this era, I value a lot more than a bunch of filthy Incognitos.  Again, we're trying to score 30+ points per game, not play Jauron-ball and win 17-16 but have a glorious edge in time of possession

• Like (+1) 1

I have not been that impressed by Moss this year but he is a rookie and maybe he gets better as time goes on. Singletary has been looking better as of late so that is a good sign. If there is one thing I’d like to add is a medium to bigger sized speed back that can be used as a change of pace. Just another back that has an extra gear after hitting the hole and may be able to get some more chunk plays out of the running game. However, we don’t have that player on the roster and have reserved that for a special teams rb. The back I’m talking about does not even have to be that special but a perfect fit for this regime might be a player like Cordarllle Patterson who can play special teams and fill in at rb spot. He is a threat to break a long run. Another player that would fit the bill was a special teamer and now full-time rb in Raheem Mostert. Maybe we could identify a player like that can help in running game and special teams. 

I wonder if much of the Bills running issues are the result of lack of use.  When you know all week from practice and seeing what the game plan is, and you see you are likely very little part of it, how's that affect you?  Not that it's an excuse, but reality may be when they do call a running play, after starting a game with what was it against Seattle 19of the first 20 plays were passes, how ready are you really going to be?

8 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I think it’s pretty clear by now the skill set that Beane values from a RB, he seems to like guys who are elusive.

Across his final two seasons at FAU in 2017 and 2018, Singletary trailed only David Montgomery in broken tackles on the ground (179). As a rookie last season, he forced 42 missed tackles on just 181 touches, once again making him one of the most elusive backs among his peers. 

Broken tackle % (broken tackles)

Edwards-Helaire - 34% (73)

Zack Moss - 31.6% (74)

Ke'Shawn Vaughn - 29.8% (59)

Eno Benjamin - 26% (66)

Cam Akers - 26% (60)

J Taylor - 25.9% (83)

AJ Dillon - 24.5% (78)

J Dobbins - 22.9% (69)

D Swift - 20.9% (51)

Joshua Kelley - 13.5% (31)

There has to be something about the skill set that they believe is more valuable than speed itself. Maybe someone can come up with why they’d value broken tackles over speed? 

Would you rather have Spiller or Jackson?  That is the job of the running back, dont get tackled.  Sure maybe you get that big run but god help you if you dont.  Ironically, thats PFFs primary running back stat, they say correlates the most to NFL success accross all rounds.