To be Blount the Bills Run Game has Beane in a Slump !

T master

We all thought with the Bills drafting Moss that the run game would be at least as good as last year but to this point something in the run game just hasn't meshed very well . I think Moss being a rookie he just might need some time but i did notice that he really isn't a big change of style type back from Devin .

One RB i wish the Bills would have brought in at some point or could even still bring in (recently retired) and has been available a few times the last couple of years with one hell of a resume which would be a totally different style back than any on the team now and that's Lagarrett Blount .

The dude is straight up a 250 lb down hill in your face RB and has 3 SB rings to his name and helped every team in his area of expertise while on those SB teams to win the Championship is there some reason why not many have looked at him ? I know his last gig in Detroit well need i say more 😕  they didn't use him(or any other players) to his potential but He is the type of back the Bills need IMHO to make the run game more feared .

If Beane could bring him out of retirement i think the Bills may be unstoppable with his talent and change of pace style in the run game ! He's been off for a while so his body should be all healed up and once he got the play book down if they used him sparingly could make the play offs very interesting it would be almost like adding Henry to the Bills back field .

Is there another back available with Blount's skill set that could Beane bring in to help the back field out in a play off run not to mention his being a veteran with a lot of NFL knowledge to help Moss in his transition  ?

Good grief - when will people recognize that the team, as currently constructed, is playing the way that modern NFL teams want to play?

Our young RB's are in the roles that they should be in, and getting the right amount of touches that are appropriate for a PASSING offense.  

Are they perfect?  No  

Are they learning on the job?  Yes

Are they costing us games?  No

Are they young, affordable and getting better?  YES

So no, we don't need every established and expensive RB that comes on the market.  Money better spent on the OL, WR's, and ultimately Josh's second contract

That is all

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think Rb is more a concern for fans than it is for the team.  It is weird.  The better part of 2 decades Buffalo could hang their hat on a good runningback.  Its a disposable position.  I expect Beane and Mcdermott to place minimal investment in it.  Two games when they felt they could run and gameplanned it, they rushed for 250 and 190.  Its not the driving force of the offense, it is more complemantary.  Like Ne for 20 years.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Good grief - when will people recognize that the team, as currently constructed, is playing the way that modern NFL teams want to play?

Our young RB's are in the roles that they should be in, and getting the right amount of touches that are appropriate for a PASSING offense.  

Are they perfect?  No  

Are they learning on the job?  Yes

Are they costing us games?  No

Are they young, affordable and getting better?  YES

So no, we don't need every established and expensive RB that comes on the market.  Money better spent on the OL, WR's, and ultimately Josh's second contract

That is all

And as currently constructed will only win a game or maybe 2 in a play off run you need a really good running attack despite what the experts say about the NFL running backs being a dime a dozen . Just look at the teams Blount was on when they won the SB's he was a big part of the puzzle when they won .

And the Bills RB's aren't producing like they should or at least like they thought they would . I was hoping they would draft AJ Dillon this year .

Blount (or a comparable back) could be brought in for the last part of the season on a relatively cost effective contract and would be a lot better change of pace back the kind of back you need to hold a lead and just run the ball down the opponents throat which to this point the Bills haven't had .

27 minutes ago, T master said:

We all thought with the Bills drafting Moss that the run game would be at least as good as last year but to this point something in the run game just hasn't meshed very well . I think Moss being a rookie he just might need some time but i did notice that he really isn't a big change of style type back from Devin .

One RB i wish the Bills would have brought in at some point or could even still bring in (recently retired) and has been available a few times the last couple of years with one hell of a resume which would be a totally different style back than any on the team now and that's Lagarrett Blount .

The dude is straight up a 250 lb down hill in your face RB and has 3 SB rings to his name and helped every team in his area of expertise while on those SB teams to win the Championship is there some reason why not many have looked at him ? I know his last gig in Detroit well need i say more 😕  they didn't use him(or any other players) to his potential but He is the type of back the Bills need IMHO to make the run game more feared .

If Beane could bring him out of retirement i think the Bills may be unstoppable with his talent and change of pace style in the run game ! He's been off for a while so his body should be all healed up and once he got the play book down if they used him sparingly could make the play offs very interesting it would be almost like adding Henry to the Bills back field .

Is there another back available with Blount's skill set that could Beane bring in to help the back field out in a play off run not to mention his being a veteran with a lot of NFL knowledge to help Moss in his transition  ?

If the problem with the run game is the OL not being able to block for runs between the tackles and not coordinating with the WR/TE to block outside the tackles, bringing in 10 star running backs won't fix it.

League average this season is 116 rush YPG.  Bills have exceeded that in 3 games now, and been within 90% of average in 2 additional games.  So 7 games rush yards well below average.  Two of those games with below average rush yards, Seattle and SF, the game plan was clearly to "lay a load of Josh Allen on ya".  Two of those games with above average rush yards, the game plan was clearly to "run down your throat until you stop us"

I don't think it's the backs, entirely, or it would never work. 

• Like (+1) 1

I still like Singletary and I'm not willing to give up on him after one down season. Haven't really seen much from Moss, but he is also a rookie.

I'd say if we were to add a running back (in the off season), I'd want a speedster.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We need speed. Not an old slow thumper.

I will agree with this.  Our current running backs are fine as is, we are a pass first team now.  However, neither Singletary or Moss has good speed and it does show.   If we we had an RB with elite speed that could also catch that would scare the heck out of teams, and probably bring our O the next level.  Travis Etienne out of Clemson would be a dream pick late first round. 

• Like (+1) 2

Here are the reasons we don't run for more yards:

1) We don't run the ball frequently. When we commit to the run, we rush for more yards (Patriots and Chargers games, 190 yards and 173 yards each).

2) Our O-Line doesn't open up good running lanes frequently.

3) Moss and Singletary are good but not great. Only a GREAT running back would make a difference.

If running backs are getting hit behind the line and still making guys miss, LeGarrette Blount doesn't help you at all.

Also ... he's 34 years old and hasn't played football in two years. In his most recent season (2018) he averaged 2.7 yards per carry.

Simply put, this is a bad take.

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 5

If you told me Singletary would never fumble a football again id lock him up for the rest of his career.

Hes very agile and makes a lot of people miss at the point of contact...add that he has this strength that would not believe he has. 

I really like the way he runs off tackle. Its just watching him hold a football scares the crap out of me. 

2 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

If you told me Singletary would never fumble a football again id lock him up for the rest of his career.

Hes very agile and makes a lot of people miss at the point of contact...add that he has this strength that would not believe he has. 

I really like the way he runs off tackle. Its just watching him hold a football scares the crap out of me. 

Yeah but he has poor speed for the position. He's a great complementary piece but not THE guy.  To take our offense to the next level, we a primary back that can impact the game with only 10 carries, and be a threat to take it to the house every time they touch the ball and otherwise catch well.

54 minutes ago, T master said:

The major issue I have with this is that it's a terrible idea.

• Haha (+1) 4