Is there a cap for coordinators in the NFL?

Don't want to lose Daboll, but it seems like Dorsey is his natural successor.  He's been marinating and I'm sure contributing heavily to this offense for two years.  Why would they look elsewhere?  Every OC got his first OC job somewhere and this seems like an ideal situation to elevate a smart QB coach to maintain continuity 

Edited by cage

41 minutes ago, Irish Dave said:

A few people have said it here already; he's home.  He saw the world, did his thing; now he's back, doing what he loves for "His team".  He grew up in Buffalo, as a full blooded Bills Fan.  He's one of us.  If YOU had a successful career in coaching and had a chance to be the Bills Offensive coordinator on the cusp of probably a 5 year Super Bowl Window would YOU move to some other city just to be head coach of a team that's years away?   HC is a lot different; maybe he's all good?

Personally, yes. I mean my own soccer coaching career was at a semi-pro level but I left a club I had played for previously and where I thought of the guys who ran the club as like family for the chance to go and pursue a head coaching role. When you get that opportunity it is hard to turn down IMO. I don't think Daboll is desperate for a job and I don't think he HAS to take one in this hiring cycle. There will be other chances while he is running a high octane Josh Allen led offense but I do think eventually he will want to be a Head Coach and as I have said elsewhere I have been told he has had the feelers out to position coaches and potential coordinators in terms of building a staff. As much as I'm sure he loves being the Bills OC he is balancing that against the chance to get to the summit of his chosen profession. If the right opportunity arises and the right job is offered to him I think he will take it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

A good leader wants to develop his people, so it’s a plus if McD helps Daboll get his own team.  It also helps McD as hot assistants who are valued will want to be on an explosive team like the Bills, and know they will have a HC who will help develop them for their team someday.

This is such an important point that people miss.  I am sure McD would love to keep Daboll and continue to grow and succeed, but all good leaders want to see their people develop into leaders in their own right.  Leaders also have succession planning in place when possible - so they know - if someone moves on who should move up and are they ready or what can I do to help them get ready.

McD - I believe (and am quite sure already does) should already have a list of internal and external people to replace not only Dabol, but several other staff members in case of hiring.  McD should also be working with these guys during the off season to get them experiences and connections to help them grow.

Additionally  - if Daboll is looking to move on (which interviews suggestion he is willing at least in the right spot) he should be working with guys like Dorsey and Hall potentially (or other offensive assistants) and talking about what he sees and certain play calls.  The coaches spend a ton of time in the off season reviewing tape and they should be talking about the playbook and why plays work.  Daboll (if he is a good leader and eventually a good HC) will be trying to develop his team to replace him if he moves on in the same way.

I am not convinced Daboll leaves unless he gets a good fit and a GM he can work with.  He sees how it works in Buffalo and how it didn’t work in his other stops like Cleveland.

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally, yes. I mean my own soccer coaching career was at a semi-pro level but I left a club I had played for previously and where I thought of the guys who ran the club as like family for the chance to go and pursue a head coaching role. When you get that opportunity it is hard to turn down IMO. I don't think Daboll is desperate for a job and I don't think he HAS to take one in this hiring cycle. There will be other chances while he is running a high octane Josh Allen led offense but I do think eventually he will want to be a Head Coach and as I have said elsewhere I have been told he has had the feelers out to position coaches and potential coordinators in terms of building a staff. As much as I'm sure he loves being the Bills OC he is balancing that against the chance to get to the summit of his chosen profession. If the right opportunity arises and the right job is offered to him I think he will take it.

This is all about growth - I am sure as he has interviewed before - McD and Beane have most likely talked with him and provided pointers about what GMs and owners are looking for.  My guess is they probably have also used their contacts to help him get in touch with some different coaches that are free to have those types of discussions (as typically an owner/GM wants to know your plan for coordinators and such).

I am sure there was lots of discussion in the last off-season about this exact scenario and probably even within Berne’s team about which guys get a potential GM role - who are they interested in on staff to help the Bills plan.  Those types of talks and discussions should be part of the year end review and close out.

Edited by Rochesterfan

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Call it a weird feeling— but I don’t think Daboll Will generate much interest. I also am not sure he is all that interested in leaving what seems to be a great gig in his hometown with a QB he loves. 

I'm sure he loves being here, but if he's offered a HC position, there's no way he's turning it down unless it's an absolute mess of an organization from top to bottom (like the Jets). 

Add to the fact he can point to Allen's dramatic growth in year 3, and any team that has a young QB or is looking to draft one will absolutely see him as the solution for their HC gig. 

I doubt Daboll will leave for a franchise with bad ownership. Add a pay raise and OC/Asst HC promotion, and Daboll will be in a position to bid his time and cherry pick opportunities for a few years. However, he’s going to leave at some point. When we look at his background it’s kind of obvious that he’ll be able to put together a solid staff. The guy’s got solid connections with staff from Saban, McD, Belichick, and Zimmer. That coupled with his experience will allow him to put together one hell of a resume. 

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

There are a couple good opening probably coming up Texans and Chargers. Both teams have young QBs with a familiar playstyle.

Why would any coach be interested in the Texans? They are in Cap hell with zero draft capital and really only have a franchise QB.  

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I doubt Daboll will leave for a franchise with bad ownership. Add a pay raise and OC/Asst HC promotion, and Daboll will be in a position to bid his time and cherry pick opportunities for a few years. However, he’s going to leave at some point. When we look at his background it’s kind of obvious that he’ll be able to put together a solid staff. The guy’s got solid connections with staff from Saban, McD, Belichick, and Zimmer. That coupled with his experience will allow him to put together one hell of a resume. 

We already have an Assist HC. Leslie has that title. The staff point is true though. I have heard Patricia as a DC name on the Daboll ticket. I think that is an attractive combination for owners to at least think about hiring. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, MJS said:

If Daboll deserves a head coaching gig, he should absolutely pursue it and I'm sure McDermott and everyone else in the organization would be happy for him.

McDermott knows this day was coming. He has a plan. He is very well thought of around the league. He would have no trouble getting another bright, young coordinator to come in and do a great job. Or that person is already on the staff.

You're exactly correct. I believe Ken Dorsey is still on the staff as the QB coach and will probably be the replacement.  They shouldn't miss a beat.  As you indicated, getting a good young coach to back fill the QB coaching job should be easier given McD's reputation.

You do not get to the level of a Daboll without wanting to be the top guy. I can say though that he won't jump at just any position unless the fit is good most likely. I am hoping the Chargers don't offer because I think that team is set up to be good for some time with a good coach. 

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd pry go Chargers (Herbert), Texans (Watson), Bengals (Burrow), Jaguars (Fields), and Jets (Lawrence) in that order.

a south buffalo guy with a large young family would make a major mistake going to LA, Houston or NYC .  Cinci maybe

• Like (+1) 1

I've always wondered if there were successful coordinators who just didn't want to be a head coach. If you love calling plays and focusing on the offense, and you are good at it, you're almost never under the gun, and everyone loves you around the league. You don't have to do all the things a head coach needs to do. 

It's probably not many, because people want to advance their careers, but I'm sure there are examples. 

If Josh Allen is the QB we think he is... it won't matter.  As others have said, if you put weapons around him the offense will be fine.  

For as many great play calls that he has, he also has some bonehead ones too.  He is a good coach, but like everything, it all comes down to the talent and the head coach. 

14 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

a south buffalo guy with a large young family would make a major mistake going to LA, Houston or NYC .  Cinci maybe

I think you skipped the tragedy and went right into the first stage of grief.

If Daboll leaves and they don't find a suitable replacement it won't be because there aren't enough of them.........Daboll has a long track record of getting dead-last kinda' results from less than ideal talent situations..........so we aren't talking about someone who makes lemonade out of the lemons.      

18 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I've always wondered if there were successful coordinators who just didn't want to be a head coach. If you love calling plays and focusing on the offense, and you are good at it, you're almost never under the gun, and everyone loves you around the league. You don't have to do all the things a head coach needs to do. 

It's probably not many, because people want to advance their careers, but I'm sure there are examples. 

I think a lot of guys get there...… AFTER failing once as a Head Coach. Like I don't suspect Jason Garrett will ever be an NFL Head Coach again and I suspect it won't bother him that much he will have a nice career as a solid coordinator. We know McDaniels has turned down multiple chances to get a second bite at the Head Coach cherry to stay in New England.

I know Daboll will be on the list of coordinators who get head coaching interviews but you never know who will actually get a job. KC's offensive coordinator has been on this "short list" in 2019 after Mahomes breakout season and again in 2020 after he coordinated a Super Bowl winning offense. And he didn't come away with a job. So while I do think there is a great risk of losing Daboll in the off-season to another team you just have to wait and see. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We already have an Assist HC. Leslie has that title. The staff point is true though. I have heard Patricia as a DC name on the Daboll ticket. I think that is an attractive combination for owners to at least think about hiring. 

Blitzed on that in my precoffee state. I could certainly see a Patricia hire at DC, although I think there might be better options. Honestly, I’m kind of curious if Daboll has a defensive scheme preference.