Is there a cap for coordinators in the NFL?

Is there a cap for coordinators in the NFL? 

We all figure Brian Daboll will likely get crazy offers for head coach next year. I really don't want to loose him. The Bills offense is so fun, well thought out, and productive. How much would you have to pay a coordinator to pass on a badass job, and is there a cap for team administration?

Don't recall any teams outbidding a prospective team looking for a headcoach, and that guy not moving towards the big boy job.

Probably wrong, but interested to know.

If Daboll deserves a head coaching gig, he should absolutely pursue it and I'm sure McDermott and everyone else in the organization would be happy for him.

McDermott knows this day was coming. He has a plan. He is very well thought of around the league. He would have no trouble getting another bright, young coordinator to come in and do a great job. Or that person is already on the staff.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

If Daboll deserves a head coaching gig, he should absolutely pursue it and I'm sure McDermott and everyone else in the organization would be happy for him.

McDermott knows this day was coming. He has a plan. He is very well thought of around the league. He would have no trouble getting another bright, young coordinator to come in and do a great job. Or that person is already on the staff.

Even if it isn't Dorsey which I think it probably is with Allen and the weapons around him this is a very choice spot for OCs to want to come.

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Call it a weird feeling— but I don’t think Daboll Will generate much interest. I also am not sure he is all that interested in leaving what seems to be a great gig in his hometown with a QB he loves. 

I don't know what he's going to do but there is a chance he picks his shot and if the right fit isn't available or doesn't pick him he may wait here with an offense that's rolling and a chance to bring a SB to his hometown.

I have known Dabs for over 40 years (I am not a personal friend of his so relax ... we just have the same circle). He doesn't want to go anywhere. He loves being back in Buffalo around family and friends. Obviously,  IF an amazing chance comes up (aka Andy Reid retires and Mahomes is still in his prime) then I would think it would be different.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Call it a weird feeling— but I don’t think Daboll Will generate much interest. I also am not sure he is all that interested in leaving what seems to be a great gig in his hometown with a QB he loves. 

If the Bills make a run in the playoffs I think he will get a lot of interest.  But I agree with you.   Unless it is a really great offer I don’t feel he will be motivated to leave. 

7 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

I have known Dabs for over 40 years (I am not a personal friend of his so relax ... we just have the same circle). He doesn't want to go anywhere. He loves being back in Buffalo around family and friends. Obviously,  IF an amazing chance comes up (aka Andy Reid retires and Mahomes is still in his prime) then I would think it would be different.

There are a couple good opening probably coming up Texans and Chargers. Both teams have young QBs with a familiar playstyle.

• Like (+1) 1

So when Gruden was hired for Tampa back around 2002, the Glaziers were concerned as he was considered then an offensive hit shot, but the Bucs were known over 10 years (not then when he came into the organization, but later overall) for their punishing defense.  Monte Kiffin was offered $4 mil. To stay as defensive coordinator and that kept him from taking offers for a head coach in D1 college.  He did later, but the point is as mentioned above there is no cap, but owners don’t usually want to pay coordinators that much money.  Besides Kiffin was getting older so he accepted to basically run the defense for the Bucs.  Daboll is younger (I think 45) so it’s not $ that will keep him here.  He may for reasons of wanting to get a ring under his belt before he accepts a HC offer, but he will go one of these years.  Now he might interview for positions even if we don’t win the SB just to get experience interviewing for HC jobs.  There is nothing we can do about it so why worry.

A good leader wants to develop his people, so it’s a plus if McD helps Daboll get his own team.  It also helps McD as hot assistants who are valued will want to be on an explosive team like the Bills, and know they will have a HC who will help develop them for their team someday.

43 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

There are a couple good opening probably coming up Texans and Chargers. Both teams have young QBs with a familiar playstyle.

I'd pry go Chargers (Herbert), Texans (Watson), Bengals (Burrow), Jaguars (Fields), and Jets (Lawrence) in that order.

55 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Chargers would be a very enticing position. Talent on Offense and Defense and basically a Josh Allen clone at QB. Not much rebuilding needed and great weather too.

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

Chargers would be a very enticing position. Talent on Offense and Defense and basically a Josh Allen clone at QB. Not much rebuilding needed and great weather too.

Texans having given the Dolphins their number 1 pick the Chargers are the clear better spot for sure. Though maybe Watson having been more established across multiple season compared to the hot start Herbert is on balances it out some.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Texans having given the Dolphins their number 1 pick the Chargers are the clear better spot for sure. Though maybe Watson having been more established across multiple season compared to the hot start Herbert is on balances it out some.

Watson ATM is the better and established QB but after seeing what Daboll did with Josh it seems like a great fit. Chargers have much more talent as well. They're an immediate playoff team with the right coach.

It really depends which teams want to interview Daboll. As the OC of a team Quarterbacked by Josh Allen he isn't gonna be a one year candidate. The chances are the Bills O is gonna be good for the next 4 or 5 years at least and so he will continue to be an interesting candidate. If the only job he is offered is say, Atlanta, where you need to start a rebuild and have a Quarterback coming to the end then maybe he thinks he can pass on that and wait. Houston and LAC are more attractive but there are ownership questions in LA (the Spanos family doesn't want to pay a coach well or pay for free agents as a rule) and Houston you are gonna have to suffer a bit through the first year even if their situation really opens up to be successful from 2022.

A few people have said it here already; he's home.  He saw the world, did his thing; now he's back, doing what he loves for "His team".  He grew up in Buffalo, as a full blooded Bills Fan.  He's one of us.  If YOU had a successful career in coaching and had a chance to be the Bills Offensive coordinator on the cusp of probably a 5 year Super Bowl Window would YOU move to some other city just to be head coach of a team that's years away?   HC is a lot different; maybe he's all good?

Edited by Irish Dave
  • Like (+1) 1