Problems with short yardage runs

LabattBlue

The struggles with 3rd and less than 2, and 4th and less than 2, have to be fixed.  You can't rely on the pass the entire game.  Not saying we need to be running for 150 yards a game, but the OL can't be blown up more often than not every time a run is called, and they can't gain a yard.

Hopefully this can be improved on by playoff time.

The Bills actually went into the game with a 71% Power Success Rate which was 10th best in the NFL. It isn't that big of an issue this year. Last year we were bad at power runs, near the bottom with a success rate of like 53% or something. 

This year it hasn't been that big of a problem. You are confusing the struggles with last year's team most likely in your mind.

Edited by matter2003

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The Bills actually went into the game with a 71% Power Success Rate which was 10th best in the NFL. It isn't that big of an issue this year. Last year we were bad at power runs, near the bottom with a success rate of like 53% or something. 

This year it hasn't been that big of a problem. You are confusing the struggles with last year's team most likely in your mind.

No I dont think poster is confused with last year, I think the poster is reflecting on the San Fran game and I would agree with him/her.

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

...maybe a few plays last night that got blown up skewed my view.  We will see how things go down the stretch.

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I cant find the stat line, but at one point recently we were leading the league in picking up short yardage 1st downs. Not that worried about it.

San Fran's DLine is very good. They get paid to make plays too.

That stat has to be put in context. To the eye, when they run Josh he usually gets it, for a variety of reasons. When they try to run Motor or Moss they are often stuffed. I liked the option to Singletary on a short yardage yesterday, which worked for the first down, if only to make other teams have to prepare they may go wide on those plays. Our run blocking, for the most part, has been terrible this entire season. Sure they get a couple 10 yard runs a game, but mostly our runners are hit immediately on the majority of regular and short yardage runs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yes that was the one great flaw offensively last night.  I formerly thought J Allen on short yardage QB sneaks was borderline unstoppable...wasnt the case last night. Granted San Fran line is very good.  I saw Morse get beat several times yesterday.

San Fran is so stout inside. I don’t know if anyone else is close. 

6 minutes ago, ogham26 said:

without knowing for sure i would guess our statistics on this are skewed from allens qb sneak conversion rate being near perfect.  on actual hand offs on those short yardage situations we seem to struggle.

short yard hand offs seemed to get TFLd all night. Maybe they need to try an TE or Some other horse at fullback. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No I dont think poster is confused with last year, I think the poster is reflecting on the San Fran game and I would agree with him/her.

One game doesn't make it a trend or make it an issue for the year. Also, a team is not going to make every 3rd or 4th and short run. The 49ers got stuffed by us quite a few times also. Just how it works. Sometimes the defense makes a play too.

However, our league leading 3rd down conversion rate has been pretty consistent throughout the year at around 50% which will keep the chains moving a lot, as our franchise record streak of 12 games and counting with 20+ first downs will show.

Also, ironically in a game where the poster brings up our inability to get a 1st down in one situation, the Bills rolled up 31 first downs, setting a franchise record for a regulation game.

Singletary is not a good short yardage back.  He’s little and goes down on first contact.  Moss has more potential but they clearly didn’t trust him after the fumble.  I’m not even sure why they list Taiwan Jones as a RB if the guy never gets in the game as a RB even in a situation like last night where Moss was benched. 

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

One game doesn't make it a trend or make it an issue for the year. Also, a team is not going to make every 3rd or 4th and short run. The 49ers got stuffed by us quite a few times also. Just how it works. Sometimes the defense makes a play too.

However, our league leading 3rd down conversion rate has been pretty consistent throughout the year at around 50% which will keep the chains moving a lot, as our franchise record streak of 12 games and counting with 20+ first downs will show.

Also, ironically in a game where the poster brings up our inability to get a 1st down in one situation, the Bills rolled up 31 first downs, setting a franchise record for a regulation game.

I didnt say or intimate one game makes a trend or issue for a year.  As for the poster and our inability to get first downs bring that up with him/her, not me.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Singletary is not a good short yardage back.  He’s little and goes down on first contact.  Moss has more potential but they clearly didn’t trust him after the fumble.  I’m not even sure why they list Taiwan Jones as a RB if the guy never gets in the game as a RB even in a situation like last night where Moss was benched. 

Singletary makes the first guy miss all the time. He's also pretty strong for his size and moves the pile. He gets engulfed immediately a lot because of the OL deficiencies more than his.

54 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

The struggles with 3rd and less than 2, and 4th and less than 2, have to be fixed.  You can't rely on the pass the entire game.  Not saying we need to be running for 150 yards a game, but the OL can't be blown up more often than not every time a run is called, and they can't gain a yard.

Hopefully this can be improved on by playoff time.

ONeFan.jpg

Relax the OL is coming together nicely with Winters on the bench. That was an impressive win that we should take at least 24 hours to savor and enjoy.

Edited by ProcessAccepted

After Poyers interception, it was very telling that we didn’t even attempt to run it on 1st and goal from the 5.  Seems like short yardage running is a problem for most NFL offenses and play callers have no faith that they can successfully run the ball in goal line and short yardage situations.