Playbooks staying and leaving with Daboll

29 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think 95% of coordinators on both sides of the ball desperately want to be head coaches, even and especially after they have failed. They all believe they would be great head coaches, and we should want them to. .

True, 

On the other hand I don't think the opportunities go away If you turn down offers and go on to achieve more with an organiation like winning a championship.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Doesn't pretty much every offense regress over time?  That's why coaches are fired like it's a turnstile.  It ebbs and flows with talent level too.  I think the only offense that always stays consistent is Andy Reid.  No one can ever figure him out with certainty... and then he gets his hands on Mahomes...

Andy Reid is constantly evolving though.  He was a west coast guy - and has evolved as it made sense to do so.  He coaches to his talent.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This is something I should know but I don't. And thought the concept of playbooks deserves its own thread. 

I assume that Dorsey has been compiling his own playbook for a few years, as he would be preparing to one day be an offensive coordinator. Most all of these guys do. And would be inclined to install it if Daboll leaves and he takes over.  

But would it be unusual for a team to just keep the Daboll offense and playbook intact as a Josh has now had three years with it and begun to master it, and then have Dorsey just take it over if and when he is named OC? While Daboll takes the same offense and playbook to his next job?

And then Dorsey could add his own unique plays and tweaks to it as they go. That is surely what I would lobby for. If Daboll leaves, which I think is only 50-50 chance ( he will be a hot name and interview but not sure he gets a job first time out), hire Dorsey and don't change the offense at all. 

Agree, teams may more look for a guy who also has worked wonders with multiple QB's.  On one hand you could argue Josh was never expected to do well so doing it with him is extra impressive, though think Allen's improvement is more on Palmer and Dorsey.  On the other hand could argue once Allen had the mechanics down, with his cannon arm and size, Daboll's job was easy.  Think he'll get interviews but not sure he's a sexy enough candidate to get hired this year.   Teams are going to want more than one year proven track record. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

In order for you to reach being a top coordinator you need to be a very competitive guy. If you’re a very competitive guy, you want to be the top guy and in charge. 

You also want to succeed because If you don't the next opportunity may never come. 

I think watching McD complete the process ( championship ) and being a big part of why gives Daboll the kind of platform he needs for sustainable success in the NFL IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Depending on how things go, the Lions and Falcons could be very attractive landing spots.

Ryan and Stafford are both very good, IMO.

Either could really flourish with a change of scenery. Put Matt Ryan with Shanahan in SF and it would be fun to watch. 

I think Daboll would covet the Chargers gig more than any other.. Herbert in my mind has top 5 QB in the NFL potential.. I think if Mike McCarthy is a one and done in Dallas, that may be a good spot for Daboll as well.. But the Lions, Bengals, Falcons, Jets and Texans? Yikes.. Better off waiting for a good organization to come calling..

3 hours ago, Figster said:

Innovative coaches have evolving playbooks that they adjust to the players avaiable given the skill sets they offer IMO.

Losing Daboll would be such a huge loss for the Buffalo Bills...

On a side note Ryan Fitzpatrick has future OC material written all over him IMO. It will be interesting to see how well Fitzy coaches up Tua. ( scary ) The bearded one loves Buffalo.

I'm just saying...

I'm sure there are competent OC candidates that would be drooling to draw up plays for Josh Allen and Co.  

A loss, but not necessarily huge.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

This actually raises an interesting legal question.  Does the standard NFL coaching contract detail who owns the intellectual property of a coach?  Are the plays works-for-hire, so they are Bills property?  Does anyone at TBD know?

At the end of a season, you could probably leave a copy of any team's playbook on an unguarded park bench and every opposing team's staff would walk up to it and sniff: "meh,  I've seen that already"....

Edited by Mr. WEO

The first thing Josh always says when asked how he has improved so much is that he’s been in the same offence for three years now, and his relationship with coach Daboll and their understanding of each other now after 3 years together is huge.

So if Daboll does get a head coaching position somewhere. How much will it affect Allen and who is out there for a replacement? 

(No idea how to spell Daboll sorry if incorrect)

6 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

(No idea how to spell Daboll sorry if incorrect)

I wish there was some kind of a comprehensive resource available to the general public in which you could research this kind of basic information in the same amount of time it took to type that sentence.

• Haha (+1) 3

On 12/8/2020 at 3:21 PM, Coffeesforclosers said:

Why would Daboll want to leave?  How freaking good are him and Josh?

I know coordinators are supposed to become head coaches, but why not stay here with a franchise QB and build a dynasty?

Because he could go to a place like Houston and be the HC of a team who also has a franchise QB?

I don’t get how people think they can just poach a coordinator and think they’ll be able to get the same production. 

We have a good line, great receivers, and a qb that can do things not many guys out there can do. 

Daboll’s fine but I think it’s more of a case of the guys making him look good than him making our guys good.