Week 14: Steelers at Bills on SNF

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Great point, Daboll does a solid job mixing run and pass out of those 3 and 4 WR looks to keep the defenses guessing. And sub-package or not, Pittsburgh is going to have less talented and experienced back up ILBs on the field who we need to take advantage of. 

In this game, I'd hope to see more of Knox and Lee Smith lined up next to Darryl Williams to help block TJ Watt with the occasional chip and slip for a TE screen. TJ Watt might be the DPOY this season, but if he has one weakness, it's his size (6'4" and 252 lbs). I'm sure this is overly simplistic and Watt being a bit lighter allows him to be so quick and agile, but I'd use Williams and a TE to just pound him into the ground on every play and hopefully tire him out. 

Then use every misdirection/jet motion/RPO trick we have in the book and make it difficult for those LBs to trust their eyes and stay disciplined in their gaps. 

Logan Thomas was lined up on the end with TJ Watt and chipped him all game long last week when the Redskins beat the Steelers.  We need to mirror that.  We can't have another Joey Bosa fiasco this week.  If the O-line can give Josh a chance to go through his reads and throw the ball the Bills will win this game.  I really think it's that simple.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ben is the quickest in the league in getting rid of the ball this year mainly because he doesn’t want to get hit. He’s only been sacked 10 times more for that reason than his OL protection. He’s a different Ben than we are used to seeing. Still effective in the passing game but he’s not dropping back, scrambling, throwing deep downfield as much. 

This.  He's become almost Brady-esque in the "live by the blitz, die by the blitz" tendency to know exactly where to go with the ball and get it there ASAP.  What's likely to be more effective is to make him uncomfortable in the pocket - enough pressure that he feels he has to get it out quick, confusing pressure where he's not sure who's rushing and who's dropping back - while clogging the middle and taking away those quick throws or stuffing them for minimal YAC.

I think it's also possible that Ben may feel inspired to emulate the young gun on the other side, so we might get a few surprises.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Interesting.  I wouldn’t have thought that, but I guess that’s because I always have nightmares of Fitzmagic games where he simultaneously catches the snap and throws.  

Fitz always gives us Fitz.  The fact that he's played for and against us for so many years the guy is just too smart to not take advantage. 

I know different oc/dc/HC but I feel like he's always in the zone when we've played him. 

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Adam Schein's convinced.

I agree.  Bills & Steelers are very similar teams.  

Both have good defenses.  Both have elite WR groups.  Both have mediocre RB/TE play.  Bills have an edge in OL.  

The main difference between the teams..

They have the best defensive player - TJ Watt. 

We have the best offensive player - Josh Allen. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I really believe JA needs to take a page out of the captain checkdown— Alex Smith’s—playbook. Dump off passes to RB’s and TE’s. He needs to get the ball out fast. Dink and dunk it. 

That is how Brady neutralized the Steelers for years, and how Alex Smith was able to move the ball last week. 

Watching that game I said to my buddies Washington will never win this because Smith refuses to throw past 5 yards. Once he started push it alittle farther downfield the momentum of that game shifted. Just saying. It’s good to play smart, not cowardly. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Both have elite WR groups.  

Not sure I would call Steelers WR elite (though having 3 in the top 40 of yards is obviously good).  I have Bills, Falcons, Hawks, Rams, Chiefs, Cowboys, texans with top two pairings that are better in terms of yardage.  It is interesting that they have 3 inside the top 40 but none inside the top 30.  However I'm not sure I'm ready to call them elite since they dont really scare me at the top end.  It should be noted Big Ben also leads the league in attempts and completions.

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Watching that game I said to my buddies Washington will never win this because Smith refuses to throw past 5 yards. Once he started push it alittle farther downfield the momentum of that game shifted. Just saying. It’s good to play smart, not cowardly. 

good point.  That one late throw he had (the 1-handed catch) was really the play of the game.