Week 13 Bills @ 49ers in Phoenix PreGame Thread

Chandler#81

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The former.  Most people haven't seen us.  They're still in meme-land where Allen is a QB who can throw the ball through a brick wall, but might have trouble hitting said wall.  If anyone did see us, it was Titans and KC, our 2 worst games.

The SF49ers are the defending NFC champions seen as bravely battling through injury and getting a couple guys back therefore improving.

Shanahan is seen as a coach who can confuse and bemuse young QB and bait them into mistakes, as can Belicheck.  Allen is seen as a QB who can be confused and bemused and throw picks (I'm not saying I agree, just saying how I see it) 

AND we're seen as a team that has a poor defense especially against the run, the play action and the screen, while SF is seen as an offense built for all 3 of these.

Add in that we didn't show up against the Titans and Chiefs and got "dunked on" by Zona, and folks are thinking the defending SB champs should be able to take us out.

Pretty sound argument (although the Bills' D has been improved the last couple of games).

Just now, par73 said:

Pretty sound argument (although the Bills' D has been improved the last couple of games).

Again, I'm not saying I agree with any of that.  I'm just saying that's the general perception. 

"Josh Allen Inaccurate Cannon Arm" and "Bills got embarrassed by Tenn and KC ran all over them" are what most of the country knows about us.

Nate Geary weighs in:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Again, I'm not saying I agree with any of that.  I'm just saying that's the general perception. 

I know. I am agreeing that it is likely the general perception.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Josh Allen Inaccurate Cannon Arm" and "Bills got embarrassed by Tenn and KC ran all over them" are what most of the country knows about us.

Nate Geary weighs in:

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Just reading an article about this game from the main page, and it said the Bills lead the league in penalty yards this year!! Did anyone else find this to be surprising? 

I knew we were up there - the fact that we're actually leading is a bit surprising.

The penalties are driving me crazy, for the most part.   I can't remember a Bills team that was Offside so much.

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I’m still trying to figure out why this game continues to be billed as a coin toss? Everyone picking or preview articles are couching it this way. They’re 5-6 and we’re 8-3. Do people still not respect us or is this a way to hype up a kind of mediocre matchup? 

San Francisco was easily considered one of the best teams in the NFL going into the season, but were absolutely destroyed by injuries.  They have also had a brutally tough schedule.  They finally got back some key players last week, and they responded by beating the Rams.  I think there is a growing expectation that the 49ers are much better than their record and can make a late-season/desperation push for the playoffs.

Meanwhile, the Bills are a team that (unfortunately) screams overrated.  They often struggle against mediocre/bad opponents, and only have 3 victories of more than one-score.  They consistently blow first-half leads, looking sloppy and unfocused for long stretches of time.  And in both primetime matchups this season, they looked totally unprepared and played absolutely terrible.

My question is why you think the Bills should be strongly favored, when they can't soundly beat anyone (including the Jets) and always seem to tank in primetime?

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

The one thing I’m certain of... if the Bills have 10pt lead in the 3rd quarter, the flags against us will start flying fast and furious.

I will say, however, that most of those 2nd half flags against us that I've seen have been correct.  There is at least one second half offensive drive every dang game were we seem to find our way to 20-35 penalty yards.  Drive killers.  Officials don't necessarily need to pile on our self inflicted penalties.

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Does anyone have ESPN and know what was actually said in the Taysom Hill/Josh Allen comparison?

I normally never watch their Sunday Football Countdown, but I did yesterday out of boredom. 

Rex Ryan made the comparison between Taysom and Josh at one point when they were ragging on Taysom, he said something along the lines of “Taysom reminds me of a young Josh Allen, can hurt you with his legs, can make some wow plays... you just need to stick with him.” 

It was sort of a compliment, saying that Josh has graduated past that... it was an odd comp though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

It seems to me that the Bills do better as underdogs.  Does anyone know if research supports this?  I googled and got Buffalo News and don't want to pay them money.

Well they have been underdogs for the better part of two decades so there's probably a lot to dissect. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

San Francisco was easily considered one of the best teams in the NFL going into the season, but were absolutely destroyed by injuries.  They have also had a brutally tough schedule.  They finally got back some key players last week, and they responded by beating the Rams.  I think there is a growing expectation that the 49ers are much better than their record and can make a late-season/desperation push for the playoffs.

Meanwhile, the Bills are a team that (unfortunately) screams overrated.  They often struggle against mediocre/bad opponents, and only have 3 victories of more than one-score.  They consistently blow first-half leads, looking sloppy and unfocused for long stretches of time.  And in both primetime matchups this season, they looked totally unprepared and played absolutely terrible.

My question is why you think the Bills should be strongly favored, when they can't soundly beat anyone (including the Jets) and always seem to tank in primetime?

I don’t completely disagree with the view, but those  weren’t actual prime time games. Those were necessary because of COVID, they weren’t planned and almost every team in that situation has looked sluggish. 

Maybe historically they tank in prime time, but what do Dick Jauron’s collapses have to do with this team? They beat Dallas in Dallas on Thanksgiving and Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh on SNF last year. Not quite tanking in prime time. 

I’m concerned for tonight’s game for various reasons, but none of them are media driven storyline reasons like “Bad in prime time” or “Don’t have any blow out wins” 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I don’t completely disagree with the view, but those  weren’t actual prime time games. Those were necessary because of COVID, they weren’t planned and almost every team in that situation has looked sluggish. 

Maybe historically they tank in prime time, but what do Dick Jauron’s collapses do with this team? They beat Dallas in Dallas on Thanksgiving and Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh on SNF last year. Not quite tanking in prime time. 

I’m concerned for tonight’s game for various reasons, but none of them are media storyline reasons like “Bad in prime time” or “Don’t have any blow out wins” 

Say more?

In addition to Covid, I personally believe Matt Hasselbeck knows a thing and maybe playing with a linebacker brace on his L shoulder kinda hindered Josh passing in the Tenn and KC games, especially at the beginning of the game before he got his adrenaline going enough to "feel no pain".  He had notably low completions in the 1Q each of those games.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Love your objectivity here, but be careful...people around here will be coming for you with shivs when you aren't looking.

7 hours ago, The BLUES Brothers said:

ATTN: Long Time Bills Fans:

Remember when the late 80s/early 90s it was always the Bills and the 49ers near or at the top of their conference?

The No Punt Game against them ended with us winning 34-31 and do not think the defenses tonight will let the scores get that high this time, but hoping for the same kind of outcome...

Go Bills! 

Remember the no punt game so well. Listened on a radio deep in the Adirondacks. We were at a camp on a lake. Sat around drinking and playing cards all afternoon glued to the game. Great memory. Bills went into virtually every NFC place and won during that era but couldn’t win a Super Bowl. Sigh

• Like (+1) 1