Would You Pay $7 A Month For Ty Dunne’s Newsletter

This week former BN writer Tyler Dunne was making the rounds trying to promote his newest venture which is called Go Long.  It’s a subscription based email newsletter.  For $7 a month, you receive an article every few days of so.  There’s no app or website - all content is delivered straight to your inbox.

The direct link is here: 

http://golongtd.com

It’s part of a new service for independent  journalists called Substack.  Writers can set up an email newsletter and charge a monthly fee to subscribers.  Substack takes 10% and then the processor Stripe takes 3%.  I think in light of recent downsizing from media companies, you’ll be seeing many more journalists adopt this model.    

Each writer sets the price and Dunne charges $7 a month.  My question to you is.... would you subscribe to Dunne’s newsletter or a similar NFL related Substack?

Personally I don’t think I would and compared to what the Athletic delivers for $10 a month, a $7 Substack is a bit of a tougher sell.   I’m sure someone will accuse me of being a cheapskate 🤣
but between all of the services we’re paying for these days, at some point you have to consider the value add and say “no mas!”

But for the future of sports journalist what do you think?  Will people need to pay a premium service?  Also could you get behind the delivery model of an email newsletter, as opposed to self-selecting news from social media/website.  

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

$3.50 a month for the Rockpile Review. 

I get Netflix for $8.99/month.   The idea of paying $7.00/month for one person's emailed sports thoughts is laughable to me.

I wasn't too taken with the quality of his first article even though I really liked Ty Dunne when he was here, so probably not.   One advantage of a group of writers as with the Athletic, is

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This week former BN writer Tyler Dunne was making the rounds trying to promote his newest venture which is called Go Long.  It’s a subscription based email newsletter.  For $7 a month, you receive an article every few days of so.  There’s no app or website - all content is delivered straight to your inbox.

The direct link is here: 

It’s part of a new service for independent  journalists called Substack.  Writers can set up an email newsletter and charge a monthly fee to subscribers.  Substack takes 10% and then the processor Stripe takes 3%.  I think in light of recent downsizing from media companies, you’ll be seeing many more journalists adopt this model.    

Each writer sets the price and Dunne charges $7 a month.  My question to you is.... would you subscribe to Dunne’s newsletter or a similar NFL related Substack?

Personally I don’t think I would and compared to what the Athletic delivers for $10 a month, a $7 Substack is a bit of a tougher sell.   I’m sure someone will accuse me of being a cheapskate 🤣
but between all of the services we’re paying for these days, at some point you have to consider the value add and say “no mas!”

But for the future of sports journalist what do you think?  Will people need to pay a premium service?  Also could you get behind the delivery model of an email newsletter, as opposed to self-selecting news from social media/website.  

I wasn't too taken with the quality of his first article even though I really liked Ty Dunne when he was here, so probably not.

One advantage of a group of writers as with the Athletic, is that when one writer has an off day and produces a stinker, there are probably articles by a couple other journalists covering our team and maybe I like them, I can go read articles by journalists covering our opponents etc.

I also don't like more stuff that I have to organize and keep track of in email, though that wouldn't stop me if I were enthralled.  If I'm paying for your work, how about you do the work of maintaining it somewhere online if I want to go back and read something 6 months from now?

• Like (+1) 2
3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

$3.50 a month for the Rockpile Review. 

Right... goes back to my original point.  As a consumer it’s getting to the point where you’re going to have to decide which services are essential and which ones just aren’t delivering enough value 

Just now, whatdrought said:

I don’t much care for Dunne. With guys like Talbot and Fairburn putting out so much high quality content for free, it’s hard to justify paying for meh.

Right to be fair though, that’s what I thought about The Athletic.  I never thought I would pay for it, but because of all of the coverage it delivers a high value for $60 a year.  I don’t know if these independence Substacks can compete 

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I don’t much care for Dunne. With guys like Talbot and Fairburn putting out so much high quality content for free, it’s hard to justify paying for meh.

Do you mean Parrino?  Fairburn writes for the Athletic

• Awesome! (+1) 1
1 minute ago, clayboy54 said:

Print journalists getting desperate as they watch their careers go the way of the dinosaurs.

No thank you!

In the case of a writer like Dunne, I think he’s very talented.  I’m just not so sure if I’d pay that much to subscribe to his Substack.

There are many who believe that a service like Substack will be the future platform for independent journalists.  Kind of like what a Patreon is for podcasts.  I’m not as bullish on it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I subscribe to Matt Taibi and Glenn Greenwald via sub stack but I think they deliver some in depth analysis I can’t get elsewhere. I don’t think I’d pay for a sports subscription as there are so many other sites where you can get the same or similar information. Ty Dunne is ok but idk if he’s good enough for many people to pay $7/month for his articles.

• Like (+1) 1

So, he writes an article every few days which means you're paying almost $1/article?  That seems quite expensive to me.  As someone said, you can get the Athletic for $10/month (I thought it was cheaper), or basically an entire newspaper for ~$1/day (probably less?).  Both offer several writers for the price.  As I recall, he work on BN was decent, but nothing that warrants a premium over content available elsewhere for less.

7 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I subscribe to Matt Taibi and Glenn Greenwald via sub stack but I think they deliver some in depth analysis I can’t get elsewhere. I don’t think I’d pay for a sports subscription as there are so many other sites where you can get the same or similar information. Ty Dunne is ok but idk if he’s good enough for many people to pay $7/month for his articles.

I used to hang out at the bars in Allentown back in the day with Taibi. He used to be the editor of The Buffalo Beast, a local newspaper here thats kinda like Artvoice.

Crazy to see how big he's gotten now. 2 good choices

3 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

So, he writes an article every few days which means you're paying almost $1/article?  That seems quite expensive to me.  As someone said, you can get the Athletic for $10/month (I thought it was cheaper), or basically an entire newspaper for ~$1/day (probably less?).  Both offer several writers for the price.  As I recall, he work on BN was decent, but nothing that warrants a premium over content available elsewhere for less.

Yeah, was going to say, I pay $5 a month for the Athletic, and you can get a promotional rate for less (I am in my second year, so no more promotion).  

35 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The direct link is here: 

I get the athletic for $1 month so yeah no.

So many attempts to sell services that I have become numb to the concept.

M$ tried that with their software so now I have open software and old software on old machine which is not updated so M$ cannot stop me.

I learned the hard way that is much harder to cut them office when I got laid off a number of years ago so I try to just spend now rather than something I pay into future.

I got cancel fees I never saw when I signed up and often they were added after the fact as an update.

Good luck on basing an economy on it.