Bills QB Josh Allen was once brutally snubbed by an SF Giants player, and has never forgotten it

20 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Funny how Kent is the douche for fighting the biggest cheater in the history of sports.  Home Run King my a$$.  Bonds couldn't hold Henry Aaron's jockstrap.

Bonds was Hall of Fame level the day he got traded from Pittsburgh.   That dude could play.  But I understand your sentiment about Hank Aaron’s record.  That era of baseball was rife with cheating though.  I wouldn’t say Bonds was worse than Arod or Roger Clemens or Rafael Palmeiro or McGuire or Sosa or the dozens of others.  It was all bad, but baseball officials liked the results it gave: fans and money.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

So happy we have Josh as the face of the franchise going forward.  Those brief experiences as children last a lifetime. 

My Grandma worked at the Aud as part of the cleaning crew.  One New Years Eve she had my parents and I come to a game, and after she brought us outside the locker room... then out walked Hasek and I’m standing there, I believe 11 years old, with my program all wide eyed and then I remember there were these two hot blondes outside in the hall vying for his attention. He says he has time for one picture, I remember thinking “well he’s not picking me, I wouldn’t pick me” and then waves me over, posed for a picture and signed my program...

Pat LaFontaine would always be signing stuff for her and giving her whatever, programs, pucks, sticks. The game used stick he autographed to me is probably my most prized possession, can’t put a price tag on something like that.  And yes, my gram was definitely the most bad ass ever.  Her stories about when WWF would come to town, her and Andre actually had a lengthy conversation, I wish I could’ve been there for that one.

Cal Ripken jr. however totally blew me off... I remember how awful that felt, even if he did have a lot of balls in his face...

You win some you lose some.  Seems Buffalo has a pretty good history with its top professional athletes being fan friendly... Atleast for the most part, so long as you don’t ask any kids who went to Jim Kelly’s Football Camp.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Like (+1) 1

I have met  a lot of famous people in my life.  Early on, I used to get really excited, and it if was somebody I really liked, I would ask them for an autograph.  I stopped asking years ago...but in my time, only two people ever said no.  Lou Reed, and Kareem Abdul Jabarr. In retrospect, of course Lou Reed would say no.  That is (was) Lou Reed.  I was just so excited to meet him, it didn't dawn on me, in hte heat of the moment, that he wouldn't be cool with autographs.  

Kareem was a whole other thing. 

It was in 1988 (or maybe 1989) when I was living in NYC. I was working as a manager at a Tower Records store at Lincoln Center. It was a cold, rainy miserable Sunday morning.  Kareem came into the store.  It was a massive store, but you could see him a mile away.  It had recently been in the news that he had  had a massive home fire, and his legedary, huge jazz vinyl collection had been destroyed.  I asked him if he needed help...he was planning on buying a fair amount of stuff on CD.  I got him a basekt to carry stuff in...I even took some of the stuff from him, and put it behind the cash register so he wouldn't have to carry it.  He was there a couple of hours.  Some people said hello, he was cool.  He wasn't rude, but it was clear to everyone, he just wanted to shop.  Cool...I understood.  

As some of you who have been here a long time, you know, I am a huge Celtics fan.  Particularly back then...it was at the end of the intense Celtics/Lakers rivalry of the Bird/Magic era. Kareem was a massive part of that history.  I had seem him play at the Aud, against the Braves in the 70's.  I had helped him quite a bit, and it he seemed to appreciate it. I didn't talk to him about hoops or anything like that...more talk about Dexter Gordan and Ron Brown than Bird and Magic.  

So, when he was ready to check out, we opened up a seprate register for him, so he wouldn't have to wait in line. It was common for celebrites that came in the store.  It just so happened that I had a copy of a basketball magazine in my office at work..it had been in my desk for about 3 years. On the cover, was a great photo of Kareem and Robert Parrish, arms locked, scrapping under the net, during the 1986 finals. I thought, what the hell, I will ask him to sign it.  

He just looked at it, with what I detected was a little disdain, and ignored my request.  I didn't push it, but I felt super dumb.  As much as I hated the Lakers, I have a huge appreciation for the the history of sports, and a ton of respect for Kareem.  I think he proabably looked at and thought, "another ####### who is going to get this thing framed, and try to make a buck off my name".

It was kind of humiliating...but i get it.  What made it even worse, as he was walking out, a hadnful of employees (some clerks and some security guards), all African American, approached him...he shook their hands, and signed autographs for them.  Of course, one of the security guys, Al, thought it was hilarious....he told Kareem ":don't sign for him, he's a Cleltics fan".  The story got a lot of run at the store. Everyone got a good laugh. In fact, they even purchased an autographed Kareem photo (a fake I am pretty sure) for my birthday.

Edited by Buftex
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

I have met  a lot of famous people in my life.  Early on, I used to get really excited, and it if was somebody I really liked, I would ask them for an autograph.  I stopped asking years ago...but in my time, only two people ever said no.  Lou Reed, and Kareem Abdul Jabarr. In retrospect, of course Lou Reed would say no.  That is (was) Lou Reed.  I was just so excited to meet him, it didn't dawn on me, in hte heat of the moment, that he wouldn't be cool with autographs.  

Kareem was a whole other thing. 

It was in 1988 (or maybe 1989) when I was living in NYC. I was working as a manager at a Tower Records store at Lincoln Center. It was a cold, rainy miserable Sunday morning.  Kareem came into the store.  It was a massive store, but you could see him a mile away.  It had recently been in the news that he had  had a massive home fire, and his legedary, huge jazz vinyl collection had been destroyed.  I asked him if he needed help...he was planning on buying a fair amount of stuff on CD.  I got him a basekt to carry stuff in...I even took some of the stuff from him, and put it behind the cash register so he wouldn't have to carry it.  He was there a couple of hours.  Some people said hello, he was cool.  He wasn't rude, but it was clear to everyone, he just wanted to shop.  Cool...I understood.  

As some of you who have been here a long time, you know, I am a huge Celtics fan.  Particularly back then...it was at the end of the intense Celtics/Lakers rivalry of the Bird/Magic era. Kareem was a massive part of that history.  I had seem him play at the Aud, against the Braves in the 70's.  I had helped him quite a bit, and it he seemed to appreciate it. I didn't talk to him about hoops or anything like that...more talk about Dexter Gordan and Ron Brown than Bird and Magic.  

So, when he was ready to check out, we opened up a seprate register for him, so he wouldn't have to wait in line. It was common for celebrites that came in the store.  It just so happened that I had a copy of a basketball magazine in my office at work..it had been in my desk for about 3 years. On the cover, was a great photo of Kareem and Robert Parrish, arms locked, scrapping under the net, during the 1986 finals. I thought, what the hell, I will ask him to sign it.  

He just looked at it, with what I detected was a little disdain, and ignored my request.  I didn't push it, but I felt super dumb.  As much as I hated the Lakers, I have a huge appreciation for the the history of sports, and a ton of respect for Kareem.  I think he proabably looked at and thought, "another ####### who is going to get this thing framed, and try to make a buck off my name".

It was kind of humiliating...but i get it.  What made it even worse, as he was walking out, a hadnful of employees (some clerks and some security guards), all African American, approached him...he shook their hands, and signed autographs for them.  Of course, one of the security guys, Al, thought it was hilarious....he told Kareem ":don't sign for him, he's a Cleltics fan".  The story got a lot of run at the store. Everyone got a good laugh. In fact, they even purchased an autographed Kareem photo (a fake I am pretty sure) for my birthday.

Great story. Screw Alcindor!

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Reminds Me of when in 1987, Scott Norwood snubbed me, by not giving me an autograph. He had to get to practice and told me and the kid next to me, he only had time to sign one more, and so signed his. Yet, we were the ONLY kids there— would have taken him 3 seconds to sign for me too. 

Was the other kid standing off to your right?

• Sad 1

John Fina was my child hood snub. After training camp at Fredonia. I remember my Dad laying into him pretty good. Like wtf man. I get you just had a long practice and just want to get home, but you have lines of kids there lined up with the biggest smiles in the world and you just walk by like you dont see them. I got Marcellus Wiley and Antowain Smith's autographs that day with a slew of others, but i just remembered Fina as a dick after that.

I always Liked Steve Young. I still do but when he was announcing the Monday Night Game against the Cowgirls.  They were in the endzone it seemed like at every break he would turn his chair around and face the field instead of sitting there and interacting with the fans, a bit disappointed with the way he acted but I still like him as a football player. 

GO BILLS

This is personal.  I hope all of the Buffalo Bills know the story and hold the city of San Francisco and all of its sports teams personally responsible.   It's time to show no mercy to these heartless barbarians.

8 hours ago, Wacka said:

OJ stab you?

Too soon ;)

7 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Some guys are gigantic douche, but even an obvious good guy like Josh will have bad days or not enough time, and thus some fans will feel the same.

I was told i couldn't get an autograph because I didn't have a football jersey and that he wouldn't sign my t-shirt. I was poor and like 8 years old.

Prick

14 hours ago, Buftex said:

It was in 1988 (or maybe 1989) when I was living in NYC. I was working as a manager at a Tower Records store at Lincoln Center. It was a cold, rainy miserable Sunday

I have an apartment on 66th and Amsterdam..  Tower became Circuit City (similarly doomed).  Now a Raymour and Flannigan.  Got some mattresses there...

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/6/2020 at 6:11 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

Funny how Kent is the douche for fighting the biggest cheater in the history of sports.  Home Run King my a$$.  Bonds couldn't hold Henry Aaron's jockstrap.

Can't decide between: Bonds was the greatest 5 tool player ever, before he started juicing.

OR

Gotta think at least half the nfl is juicing, so...