Is there a way to measure the “violence” level of a defense?

Here is the only metric that matters: number of players who end up on the injury report due to contact, not talking about those non-contact ACLs. Bernard Pollard, Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater, Mike Singletary, Ray Lewis, = violent. 

As for the Steelers, I feel their reputation provides some bit of cover for them to make hits that many finesse teams aren’t allowed. To that end you need players who are fast and big. Remember Seattle’s Legion of Boom secondary? The broadcasters bought into that labeling, and as a result they were allowed to hit players more dangerously than many secondaries. This ultimately cost Cam Chancellor his career as he suffered a neck injury to the impact of many violent collisions.

Defenders known as “hitters” aren’t made of steel. Eventually they all breakdown, victims of their playing style. The best defensive units are therefore better measured by how tactical they are, and how good they are as measured by; yards against, and points against. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, All I Need is Hope said:

Appreciate the perspectives.  I think the turnover +/- is a good surrogate metric for aggressiveness and maybe violence.

I would disagree. Many turnovers are INTs and plenty of times they have more to do with things that aren't correlated with violence. Look at Tre White coming off his own route on his last two picks and covering a different guy by  reading the QB's eyes. Or a DL seeing he's not going to make it to the QB and laying back and timing his jump to deflect the ball up into the air for someone else to hopefully intercept.

Plenty of fumbles also aren't so much about violence as they are about well-timed slaps on an RB or QB who doesn't see you coming.

I don't think there's anything that is a good surrogate or a good way to measure it.

About all we have is the eye test, and we all seem to see the same teams as the most violent.

17 hours ago, Beast said:

I think you answered your own question. The way to measure it is to see it. When you see it, you know it.

The Steelers and Ravens come to mind when I think of violent defenses.

Beast, sometimes people over complicate things with too much analytics and searching data to support an argument.  You made the best point.  The best data comes from eyeballs if you know what you’re looking at and know football, whether you played, or coached.

• Like (+1) 1

The Steelers mystic on defense is real.  They have had 3 coaches since 1969.  Three.  That is mind blowing.  

The Iron Curtain of the 70’s might be the best defense ever (sorry Bears) and with just a fews downs to go with the up years, such little turnover helps make it possible to keep the same consistent style and build a mystic. 

McD has made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years while rebuilding the team and changing the culture - and yet many fans here don’t like him and want him out.  I find that to be extremely short sighted.  If coaching/front office turnover is consistent the wins will not be.  

20 hours ago, All I Need is Hope said:

Appreciate the perspectives.  I think the turnover +/- is a good surrogate metric for aggressiveness and maybe violence.

I agree that some players just have it, like some that have been mentioned.  I would say that the Bills that play with violence are Milano and Hughes... maybe Oliver. 

turnover differential is a tricky one as fumble recoveries are a bit random. 

id venture something like forced fumbles and qb hits would be more indicative than fumbles recovered and interceptions caught