AJ Klein: Tremaine Edmunds "a True Mike"

Thurman#1

45 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I think Edmunds has mega potential at Will and Sam. In passing situations he is a very good Mike. I disagree that he can’t blitz. I’ve seen him get good pressure and even push offensive linemen backwards when he rushes. Is he Luke Kuechly? Hell naw. He’ll never be a top 5 elite MLB. He’ll never be a Ray Lewis. He does have great versatility though which is extremely valuable. He can play Mike, Will and Sam at a pretty decent level. He should be moved all over. He is not an elite MLB, but he’s a good LB. I hope his contract reflects that. If he’s willing to take $9M-$10Myr I’d love to have him back when it comes time.

The past few games are probably the only 3 game stretch of Edmunds career where he has played consistently well inside.     He typically has a game here or there where he is excellent and gets people's hopes up but then disappears for a month.  

With his physical gifts he should be a DPOY candidate in this defense.  

But instead we are told to be overwhelmed by the ordinary.

He's capable of creating turnovers and wreaking havoc, IMO.

Yet he has 1 interception and 0 forced fumbles in his last 30 games........3 TFL's on the season(compared to fellow 2018 draftee Roquan Smith with 15).

I mean he's more talented than this and people who say he's doing great at MLB are selling his talent short, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chemical said:

The only player I would have cut is Star and I still wish we would have. You love giving credit to the professionals. You know no one on here thinks they're going to affect a change or become a GM, but we are well within our right to discuss how a roster move/signing/draft pick turned out.

That doesn't stop a vocal minority from thinking they are smarter about all thing Buffalo Bills related from ownership to the ball boy.

• Like (+1) 2

There are many issues when it comes to player evaluation on a message board. 

The first being nobody knows the assignments unless they break down the film. I can count on one hand how many people are sitting down and watching film in it’s entirety from all 16 games. 

They next is nobody really puts anything in context with the rest of the league. Most people go “I watch every Bills game, every week, all the way through! I know whether a player is good or not.” Which is great, I actually believe that’s important and you just pick up on a lot from seeing the team so much... but are those same people able to watch every other game, every week all the way through in order to pick up on the deficiencies of other teams and recognize their trends? I don’t think so... most folks see 3-4 games of a team and think they know a player and want them over who we have without knowing if they can actually do what we need them to do. It’s dangerous territory. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Didn't he mostly play Sam in Carolina?  I know he played MLB when Kuechly was injured, but he played more than that...

Luke Keuchly, now after the 2015 and 2016 seasons, there's a guy we'd kick out of bed around here for eating "Injured Too Much" crackers.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea mainly Sam, some Mike, even a bit of Will. 

He moved around but 9 of his last 13 starts in Carolina were at MLB in place of Kuechly........he was Kuechly's backup the last two seasons.........his production there got him the contract in New Orleans.   

• Like (+1) 1

Fans need to remember these comments are made to the media, you know, the ones always looking for an angle and something to put down on paper(oops, wait, we are of the digital age now). It's a chess game, teammates will beef up their brothers in arms. As i mentioned in another thread, I don't get to see any Bills games and have to rely on what Iread or highlites. So I can't make a knowledgable assessment of the teams play.

I agree with Edmunds needing to be more physical, hey I'm old school. Jack Tatum, Willie Lanier, Butkus. That kind of physicality is long gone(unfortunately). Edmunds has to command the defense with guile and intell from video. Keep these boys in the trenches together for the rest of season and you'll see a continuity that results in whoop$$%%^!! Oh and never show your hand to the enemy. Every team on the schedule is the enemy. 

20 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

There are many issues when it comes to player evaluation on a message board. 

The first being nobody knows the assignments unless they break down the film. I can count on one hand how many people are sitting down and watching film in it’s entirety from all 16 games. 

There may be a few more than you know, not all of whom post very much or not any more.  You might need to use both hands and take at least one shoe off.

It's a point that sometimes people think they know something from broadcast film and they're mistaken.  We saw kind of an extreme example of that with the convo about the Allen to Diggs INT where some thought there was an unblocked blitzer uncovering Beasley and Allen should have read it and immediately thrown to Bease; film shows the safety moved to pick Beas up and at the snap, Harris had 2 guys positioned to block him - he just treated Williams like a Linda Ronstadt song (why yes, i do know I'm not nearly as funny as I think I am, why do you ask?)

It's also a point that even people who are breaking down film don't necessarily know the assignments so we blame the wrong guy for a breakdown.

They next is nobody really puts anything in context with the rest of the league. Most people go “I watch every Bills game, every week, all the way through! I know whether a player is good or not.” Which is great, I actually believe that’s important and you just pick up on a lot from seeing the team so much... but are those same people able to watch every other game, every week all the way through in order to pick up on the deficiencies of other teams and recognize their trends? I don’t think so... most folks see 3-4 games of a team and think they know a player and want them over who we have without knowing if they can actually do what we need them to do. It’s dangerous territory.

You mean like the chappy who was informing us there were 20 safeties in the league better than Poyer, but when asked, couldn't name 'em? 😁

Buddy Nix had some things right and one of them was his saying "if you listen to the fans, you'll find yourself sitting with them".  We're not helped around here by the knowledge that there was about a decade where the draft choices of 3 or 4 of our more knowledgeable folks would LITERALLY have been better than the players the Bills drafted - but that reflects more poorly on the quality of the Bills FO at the time than anything else 😥

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was and the fact he is healthy certainly seems to have improved his play and he is back to his 2019 level. The confusing thing for me is the parts of the game he was struggling with were not necessarily the parts you would immediately put down to the injury he had. More than shedding blocks he struggled with reads and drops against play action. Maybe he was just so physically comfortable that it affected everything. It can happen. Regardless, it is just good to see him back to his best. Our D is much better when he is on form.

Edit: and just to add given the subject of the thread I have never wanted to move him from the mike. Some people have really old fashioned views of what a Mike should be.

He's been a step slow reacting all season.........surprisingly more so in pass defense.

His passer rating allowed is a ghastly 132+ and he's allowed 4 passing TD's.......including a play last week where he was all over the receiver but just seemed like he had no idea the ball was coming.    

The mental aspect of his game hasn't been where you'd expect and thus his reactions have been late and disappointing at times and it's costing him big plays that this defense should be putting him in position to make.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There may be a few more than you know, not all of whom post very much.

It's a point that sometimes people think they know something from broadcast film and they're mistaken.  We saw kind of an extreme example of that with the convo about the Allen to Diggs INT where some thought there was an unblocked blitzer uncovering Beasley and Allen should have read it and immediately thrown to Bease, while the truth is the safety moved to pick Beas up and at the snap, Harris had 2 guys positioned to block him - he just treated Williams like a Linda Ronstadt song (why yes, i do know I'm not nearly as funny as I think I am, why do you ask?)

It's also a point that even people who are breaking down film don't necessarily know the assignments so we blame the wrong guy for a breakdown.

You mean like the chappy who was informing us there were 20 safeties in the league better than Poyer, but when asked, couldn't name 'em? 😁

Buddy Nix had some things right and one of them was his saying "if you listen to the fans, you'll find yourself sitting with them".  We're not helped around here by the knowledge that there was about a decade where the draft choices of 3 or 4 of our more knowledgeable folks would LITERALLY have been better than the players the Bills drafted - but that reflects more poorly on the quality of the Bills FO at the time than anything else 😥

Yeah, you’re right. I should clarify I meant a handful of guys I actually know sit down and watch like that on here. 

Also a great point, even watching the film you don’t necessarily know. It’s hard to tell unless you know the call and the assignments (I.e. you’re on the coaching staff and have 20+ years coaching defense and were the mastermind behind the 15-1 Panthers defense) 

I was just about to bring Chappy up... he was so matter of fact with that statement and still hasn’t replied... everyone gets notifications when they’re quoted... weird. 

Haha I agree with you... I try not to take it too extreme with that. I think there are a few knowledgeable fans that could work in front offices and be more successful than the folks there. At least in baseball, I know that for a fact,  believe me I’ve come across some less than inspiring folks in my time! But more often than not, you’re right, fans don’t know all of the circumstances unfortunately and can’t be relied on for great decisions individually... but FanGraphs the baseball website “crowdsources” fans every year to find out what contracts they think FA will get... the large sample of fans are usually pretty close to the true value/value given out. 

Interesting enough the new Mets owner has been asking fans on Twitter who they want the team to sign. I think it’s an interesting tactic... 

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's been a step slow reacting all season.........surprisingly more so in pass defense.

His passer rating allowed is a ghastly 132+ and he's allowed 4 passing TD's.......including a play last week where he was all over the receiver but just seemed like he had no idea the ball was coming.    

The mental aspect of his game hasn't been where you'd expect and thus his reactions have been late and disappointing at times and it's costing him big plays that this defense should be putting him in position to make.

I'd wondered if they were giving him pain meds that were affecting his thought process and reactions.  Toradol usually doesn't, but if you need your pain suppressed enough to slam your injured shoulder into people 20x a game maybe they give you a cocktail.   At the NFL level, I'm sure the line is very slim.

• Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'd wondered if they were giving him pain meds that were affecting his thought process and reactions.  Toradol usually doesn't, but if you need your pain suppressed enough to slam your injured shoulder into people 20x a game maybe they give you a cocktail.   At the NFL level, I'm sure the line is very slim.

That could be the case.   I don't think we really know that his shoulder is "healed" really do we?   If it was a rotator cuff issue that's not healing in the season that's a surgery.   Maybe they just started mixing in some aderall with his toradol the past few weeks.

1 hour ago, Chemical said:

ok cool, I'm fine with that as long as they have logical reasoning with receipts and/or proof of their ball handling skills .

For years now I have been lobbying for OBD to pick up "Radio" to fill a critical role.

Nothing has been done!  I blame the Pegula's.

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This op Ought to bring all the negative nancies out of the wood work explain how Klein must not understand McDermotts defense and that Edmunds should br some olb role that doesn’t exist or a dime Will or safety or some other non sense 

Lorenzo Alexender, Edmunds' mentor, would like a word with you...

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Maybe the bye gave him a chance to heal his shoulder.

Something changed his game day performance more recently.
Both Klein and Tremaine are playing faster and efficiently. Do not care why.
Go Bills

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree with this.  Certainly no Keuchly, but McD is no dummy.  I'm sure he knows Edmunds is not the same guy as Keuchly.   And he knows Edmunds is the classic, old-school Mike.   What I think is going on with McDermott is that he sees that Edmunds is a special physical player (not unlike Allen in the sense that Josh, too, is a special physical player), and McDermott's sense is that he can a build a defense in which Edmunds can have the kind of impact, although in different ways, that Keuchly has had.  That is, in the same way McD looked at Keuchly and thought "I can win with that guy,"  McD looked at Edmunds and told Beane "I want that guy."   Edmunds is still learning and growing, physcially, and McDermott is still figuring out exactly how to play Edmunds.   

If McD was correct, Edmunds' best days are still ahead of him.  I expect the Bills will extend him after they extend Allen.   

thIs feels like thoughtful perspective on the McD/ Edmunds relationship.
Both are still learning their craft :)

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The past few games are probably the only 3 game stretch of Edmunds career where he has played consistently well inside.     He typically has a game here or there where he is excellent and gets people's hopes up but then disappears for a month.  

With his physical gifts he should be a DPOY candidate in this defense.  

But instead we are told to be overwhelmed by the ordinary.

He's capable of creating turnovers and wreaking havoc, IMO.

Yet he has 1 interception and 0 forced fumbles in his last 30 games........3 TFL's on the season(compared to fellow 2018 draftee Roquan Smith with 15).

I mean he's more talented than this and people who say he's doing great at MLB are selling his talent short, IMO.

They are plenty of defenders to defend either position about T Edmunds

But i am not sure wreaking havoc will ever be his thing. Sure tackling would be enough for me  lol

he has not developed as quickly as Fans wish. I think we can agree upon that.
The question is will he.
 How he finishes the season and if he can maintain the last two weeks type of play (very good) ? I will feel pretty good about him.

Klein and Edmunds suddenly look connected and playing well

coaching 

41 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

They are plenty of defenders to defend either position about T Edmunds

But i am not sure wreaking havoc will ever be his thing. Sure tackling would be enough for me  lol

he has not developed as quickly as Fans wish. I think we can agree upon that.
The question is will he.
 How he finishes the season and if he can maintain the last two weeks type of play (very good) ? I will feel pretty good about him.

Klein and Edmunds suddenly look connected and playing well

coaching 

Preston Brown was a sure tackler............that's a pretty low bar.😄

7 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

His speed and size are amazing. But I wouldn't call him physical and he can't get off blocks consistently.  Let's see how he does these next few weeks. He's much better against passing teams. 

Let’s keep in mind this kid just started drinking legally last year.  I would assume that they are willing to slightly sacrifice during the present for massive gains in the future.  Trust the process! 

• Thank you (+1) 1