AJ Klein: Tremaine Edmunds "a True Mike"

Thurman#1

Earlier in the season teams were killing us through the air over the middle. It seemed like there was nothing we could do to stop it. We haven't seen nearly as much of it the past few games. My sense is that Edmunds getting healthy again is a big reason for that, but what do I know.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We have our regulars who are persuaded that Beane, McDermott, and Frazier, despite their track record of strong defense especially last year, are pig-headed about Edmunds and perennially misuse him by keeping him at Mike. I don't feel I know enough to second-guess them.  I'd certainly buy that so far, Edmunds is no Luke Keuchly.

I agree with this.  Certainly no Keuchly, but McD is no dummy.  I'm sure he knows Edmunds is not the same guy as Keuchly.   And he knows Edmunds is the classic, old-school Mike.   What I think is going on with McDermott is that he sees that Edmunds is a special physical player (not unlike Allen in the sense that Josh, too, is a special physical player), and McDermott's sense is that he can a build a defense in which Edmunds can have the kind of impact, although in different ways, that Keuchly has had.  That is, in the same way McD looked at Keuchly and thought "I can win with that guy,"  McD looked at Edmunds and told Beane "I want that guy."   Edmunds is still learning and growing, physcially, and McDermott is still figuring out exactly how to play Edmunds.   

If McD was correct, Edmunds' best days are still ahead of him.  I expect the Bills will extend him after they extend Allen.   

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t like the idea of having any one true player as a Mike. I like versatility at LB. It’s much harder for offenses to determine what you’re going to do if all three of your LBs can play all three positions. Much easier to disguise blitzes and which players are going to drop back in coverage. Why not put Klein in at Mike in running situations and Edmunds in at Mike in passing situations? Let’s not be too concerned with titles, they matter not. Move everyone around, switch positions and duties based off of what the offense is giving us. This is why I think Buffalo oughta draft another LB with positional versatility. Much harder for offenses to figure out what we’re doing..

In terms of his run defense,  either you have the instincts or you don’t.  He clearly doesn’t, and another year or two or three, isn’t going to change that.  

Most of the time, he looks like a man without a position...too big to be a safety, poor instincts to be a MLB, and not physical enough to be a pass rushing OLB. 

Buyer beware...come contract time. 

1 minute ago, Back the Blue said:

In terms of his run defense,  either you have the instincts or you don’t.  He clearly doesn’t, and another year or two or three, isn’t going to change that.  

Most of the time, he looks like a man without a position...too big to be a safety, poor instincts to be a MLB, and not physical enough to be a pass rushing OLB. 

Buyer beware...come contract time. 

I think Edmunds has mega potential at Will and Sam. In passing situations he is a very good Mike. I disagree that he can’t blitz. I’ve seen him get good pressure and even push offensive linemen backwards when he rushes. Is he Luke Kuechly? Hell naw. He’ll never be a top 5 elite MLB. He’ll never be a Ray Lewis. He does have great versatility though which is extremely valuable. He can play Mike, Will and Sam at a pretty decent level. He should be moved all over. He is not an elite MLB, but he’s a good LB. I hope his contract reflects that. If he’s willing to take $9M-$10Myr I’d love to have him back when it comes time.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

I don't believe this.   Football at this level is all about developing technique and developing an ability to read offenses and respond with the scheme the coaches have implemented.   

I keep thinking about White's two interceptions, where he left his man and dropped into underneath coverage, right in the passing lane.  That's not instinct.   He's taught to recognize the situation and make the break in certain circumstances.   And the other defenders also are taught to recognize the same thing and understand that when the circumstances arise, White will be dropping and their responsibilities will change accordingly.  

Playing the mike in the defense that McDermott wants to run.   It's study film, recognize, and react.   If you have a superior athlete, he's able to react.   That's where Edmunds is headed.   He never played defense like that in college.   He's had as much to learn on the defensive side as Allen has had on the offense.  Allen isn't done, and Edmunds isn't either. 

• Like (+1) 1

Edmunds is fine. He’s not a thumper, but he’s usually a sure tackler, and that wingspan not only changes zone depth but changes rushing lanes. If the kid could catch we’re talking about sports center highlights instead of his defaults. 

If we’re honest..... Bills fans have complained about every MLB since Chris Spielman. Only reason they didn’t complain about him is that bitching about a three time all-pro makes you look like a moron. 

29 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't believe this.   Football at this level is all about developing technique and developing an ability to read offenses and respond with the scheme the coaches have implemented.   

He’s been in the league and started almost 3 full years(with the same HC and DC).  At what point does he learn how to read a running play and not go to the wrong spot?

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sounds to me like maybe AJ just likes getting chances to rush the passer and shorter routes to wide bouncing RB's etc..

I doubt he wants to go back to playing MLB like he did in Carolina.

Didn't he mostly play Sam in Carolina?  I know he played MLB when Kuechly was injured, but he played more than that...

Luke Keuchly, now after the 2015 and 2016 seasons, there's a guy we'd kick out of bed around here for eating "Injured Too Much" crackers.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sounds to me like maybe AJ just likes getting chances to rush the passer and shorter routes to wide bouncing RB's etc..

I doubt he wants to go back to playing MLB like he did in Carolina.

Well.. Once again, I don’t think we should give anyone titles.. Between playing Will, Mike and Sam we’ll likely see percentages. If it’s 3rd and short, why not have Klein at Mike and blitz him up the gut? If it’s 3rd and long, why not plug Edmunds in at Mike? Whomever is playing Mike should be determined based off of the situation. Mix it up and vice versa.

This only confirms he played very poorly until recently. I think the bare minimum you can say about a first round pick is "He is a true (insert position)"

I'm glad his play has improved. Hopefully the regression was due only to injury. I really wanted the Bills to draft this guy and have been very disappointed this season until recently.

Edmunds catches a lot of hate around here but there’s a lot worse options out there. 
Add in the fact that this is a tough defense to play as a MLB. Devin White looks amazing in Tampa, sometimes. But he’s just as easily swallowed by blockers on runs and out of position in pass coverage like what happens to Edmunds sometimes. The general trend on this board is we are WRONG most of the time judging these players. 
7-8 weeks ago we would of cut Bass, Klein, Edmunds, Levi, go back farther and we’re cutting Star who we are mostly all suddenly loving and missing. Where would we be today if fans had majority vote on roster decisions?

Tremaine is a good player and has shown he has not peaked yet at an early age. There’s no real reasons to replace him or draft a replacement yet.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

People need to recognize that he was playing injured earlier this season. Not hurt — injured. It has a huge effect.

Again he was playing one-armed earlier this season.

He was and the fact he is healthy certainly seems to have improved his play and he is back to his 2019 level. The confusing thing for me is the parts of the game he was struggling with were not necessarily the parts you would immediately put down to the injury he had. More than shedding blocks he struggled with reads and drops against play action. Maybe he was just so physically comfortable that it affected everything. It can happen. Regardless, it is just good to see him back to his best. Our D is much better when he is on form.

Edit: and just to add given the subject of the thread I have never wanted to move him from the mike. Some people have really old fashioned views of what a Mike should be.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Edmunds catches a lot of hate around here but there’s a lot worse options out there. 
Add in the fact that this is a tough defense to play as a MLB. Devin White looks amazing in Tampa, sometimes. But he’s just as easily swallowed by blockers on runs and out of position in pass coverage like what happens to Edmunds sometimes. The general trend on this board is we are WRONG most of the time judging these players. 
7-8 weeks ago we would of cut Bass, Klein, Edmunds, Levi, go back farther and we’re cutting Star who we are mostly all suddenly loving and missing. Where would we be today if fans had majority vote on roster decisions?

Tremaine is a good player and has shown he has not peaked yet at an early age. There’s no real reasons to replace him or draft a replacement yet.  

The only player I would have cut is Star and I still wish we would have. You love giving credit to the professionals. You know no one on here thinks they're going to affect a change or become a GM, but we are well within our right to discuss how a roster move/signing/draft pick turned out.

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Didn't he mostly play Sam in Carolina?  I know he played MLB when Kuechly was injured, but he played more than that...

Luke Keuchly, now after the 2015 and 2016 seasons, there's a guy we'd kick out of bed around here for eating "Injured Too Much" crackers.

Yea mainly Sam, some Mike, even a bit of Will.