Line Shift in SF Game: Bills now Underdogs

Casey D

1 minute ago, Back the Blue said:

The goal of oddsmakers is to get even amounts of money bet on both sides.  

1 minute ago, Back the Blue said:

The goal of oddsmakers is to get even amounts of money bet on both sides.  

Of course.  But that is a dramatic shift. Moves are gradual in the line, unless something significant happens, e.g., a QB in or out. 

Just now, The Avenger said:

So why all the money on SF?

That's what I was hoping someone knew.  Garrapolo back?  Allen out?

I think the 49ers can still score. 

With Aiyuk coming back, Samuel and Mostert already back, they are going to move the football. 

The Bills don't have the same gear offensively without Brown despite Davis' best effort as a fill-in.

So a tight game is to be expected, especially on the road. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Was there some major development for this to happen.  Josh's injury?

No, more than likely a lot of money was bet on SF and this is to try and "balance the money" so the book doesn't take a huge hit...at the end of the day, the books want to try and make it so there is a near equal amount bet on both teams so they don't take crazy losses.

In effect, the lines have more to do with gamblers at times than with who they think is going to actually win.

Edited by matter2003
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

No, more than likely a lot of money was bet on SF and this is to try and "balance the money" so the book doesn't take a huge hit...at the end of the day, the books want to try and make it so there is a near equal amount bet on both teams so they don't take crazy losses.

In effect, the lines have more to do with gamblers at times than with who they think is going to actually win.

Could be right.  Maybe I missed a day of movement too.  But right now it is pick or SF -1 at most sites.  Just thought there could have been a big development, but usually if that happened the line would just be suspended, i.e., off

1 minute ago, Casey D said:

Could be right.  Maybe I missed a day of movement too.  But right now it is pick or SF -1 at most sites.  Just thought there could have been a big development, but usually if that happened the line would just be suspended, i.e., off

From what I heard the initial line was getting a vast majority of people/money betting on SF, so this is to try and discourage that and have money come in on the other side...

• Like (+1) 1