Mitch Morse Quote

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Don't struggle with this one, doc.  He has confirmed that the staff didn't think he was cutting it so they sat him.  Had nothing to do with some sort of magic double secret concussion protocol....or whatever you keep pushing.

And yet he’s back starting and will remain there. Go figure.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

Boettger is a better option right now.  

From the fans eyes I’m with you. Apparently the guys that evaluate disagree with us. I was wrong on Klein in a big way. If I’m wrong on Winters by half that I’ll be 😃 

8 hours ago, matter2003 said:

They said "Your 96% pass block win rate, which is 4th best in the NFL for Centers isn't good enough!"

Then must be they don’t like his run blocking. Good news is we ran well vs Chargers, hope MM stays pissed !

23 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sure, but let’s not act like these guys are perfect in their evaluations.... they loved them some Nathan Peterman and Vlad Ducasse at one point in time. Winters has always sucked....even with his days with the Jets. 

Gotta agree on this one. They've stuck with some substandard players longer than anyone can reasonably justify, especially in the three cases mentioned. Head-scratchers.

55 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

From the fans eyes I’m with you. Apparently the guys that evaluate disagree with us. I was wrong on Klein in a big way. If I’m wrong on Winters by half that I’ll be 😃 

Then must be they don’t like his run blocking. Good news is we ran well vs Chargers, hope MM stays pissed !

With Klein, it was a matter of him learning a new position.  Winters had been playing RG for the previous 5 seasons with the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Gotta agree on this one. They've stuck with some substandard players longer than anyone can reasonably justify, especially in the three cases mentioned. Head-scratchers.

How about "Turnstile" Mills at Right Tackle that used to cause "auto-scrambles" for Tyrod?

Dude would get the shotgun snap and just start scrambling because he saw Mills getting abused on a play before he even got the snap.

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's not as simple as who blocks more guys.

The Center has a lot of responsibility for making calls and adjustments for the line. If he isnt making the right reads and right calls, then that could be far worse than Winters missing a block. Heck, it could be WHY Winters has missed blocks.

If Feliciano is doing a better job reading the D and setting assignments at the line, then that's all we need to know.

When I read the comment about him being the 4th best pass blocking center, it made me wonder how responsible he might be for the lackluster run blocking.

11 hours ago, Doc said:

And yet he’s back starting and will remain there. Go figure.

Hard to believe Coach forced Morse back into the lineup, risking his life,  so quickly after his most recent concussion!  

Anyway,  none of this was a medical mystery after all.  McD made his point: Bench a lackluster “star” and he picks up the pace.  Go figure, right?  A real head scratcher of a coaching move huh doc?  

I’ll say it again, none of you guys know what goes on in the trenches like the coaches do. None of us know the line calls and such.  

McD said they liked the lines play in the games that Morse sat out so they stuck with it another game.  Feliciano graded higher at C and they liked they overall line play and wanted it to continue.  What more do you need for a reason when the coach just gave you the reason?   

The noise about injuries, salaries, is fan drama.  

Edited by Bob in STL

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hard to believe Coach forced Morse back into the lineup, risking his life,  so quickly after his most recent concussion!  

Anyway,  none of this was a medical mystery after all.  McD made his point: Bench a lackluster “star” and he picks up the pace.  Go figure, right?  A real head scratcher of a coaching move huh doc?  

Like I told you, it was more the missed time, including a practice that week, than the concussion.  While the team had won the 2 games he missed.  So continuity with the side benefit of giving him more time to rest considering there was a bye coming up.

But few think Feliciano is a better C than Morse. Much less that Felciano with Boettger and Winters is a better combo than Morse with Feliciano and another OG.  Forget his salary, that's just silly to mention.  However why they consider Winters to be a starter is a cause for concern.  As is thinking they need to bench a C with the 4th best pass block win rate, if that's indeed what happened.

49 minutes ago, Doc said:

Like I told you, it was more the missed time, including a practice that week, than the concussion.  While the team had won the 2 games he missed.  So continuity with the side benefit of giving him more time to rest considering there was a bye coming up.

But few think Feliciano is a better C than Morse. Much less that Felciano with Boettger and Winters is a better combo than Morse with Feliciano and another OG.  Forget his salary, that's just silly to mention.  However why they consider Winters to be a starter is a cause for concern.  As is thinking they need to bench a C with the 4th best pass block win rate, if that's indeed what happened.

I'll listen to what McD and now Morse have said on the topic.  Stay strong though!

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I'll listen to what McD and now Morse have said on the topic.  Stay strong though!

I don't have to "stay strong."  Being the 4th highest-rated center in pass-blocking is hard to argue against.  Again if McD or whoever truly benched him, and thinks Winters is a starter, we have bigger problems.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I don't have to "stay strong."  Being the 4th highest-rated center in pass-blocking is hard to argue against.  Again if McD or whoever truly benched him, and thinks Winters is a starter, we have bigger problems.

Get up in his DMs

20 hours ago, ganesh said:

When Ford comes back from IR

Ford is out for the rest of the season

17 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

When I read the comment about him being the 4th best pass blocking center, it made me wonder how responsible he might be for the lackluster run blocking.

There's some film cutups out there on Morse run blocking.  There are some types he doesn't do so well at and other types where he excels.

18 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I referred to Nate Peterman as "catnip for QBcoach/OC" in the QB room.  Only explanation I can figure there, and it's not just OUR coaches.

Keep in mind Gruden is still in love with him.  Get a load of this depth chart:

image.thumb.png.a3c37e2b3fb739625adf16021b0e85f6.png

Vlad Ducasse was there to teach Juan Castillo's blocking techniques and scheme.  Hard to bench the dude you've been holding up as an example.  Even so, he lost his job to Wyatt Teller 9 games in.

On Winter, the only thing I got is maybe the coaches figure a certain amount of his mistakes are on someone else.  I'm not savvy enough in blocking schemes to make that call, but (for example) Mitch Morse claimed responsibility for the Barkley sack that could have been looked at as an abysmal blow-by on Winters.