OMG - He said what? Adam Gase admits he hasn't helped Sam Darnold develop as NFL QB

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Similar things were said about Tannehill under Gase.

At times, Darnold still makes plays that are special.  I think another team will pick him up and give him a chance.  There are several teams that are winning too much to have a shot at a high draft pick QB, but are currently helmed by an aging vet whose fueltank is almost on fumes.  He'll go somewhere and get another shot.

You got that right!  

9 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Very true, but I could make an argument that many bad coaches got hired through riding the coattails of great players. The real joke was the Jets hiring Gase. It was clear that Manning made the guy after he failed in Miami. Why would anyone hire him after that failed stint ? There should have never been another big unearned payday. 

He got hired the same way Rex Ryan got hired in Buffalo after taking over a Jets team with talent and running that talent away.

Teams are looking for a particular skill set and sometimes these retreads happen to fit exactly the niche’ that you want.

The Bills wanted a larger than life presence at coach after having Marrone there.  The Jets wanted an offensive leader to replace their defensive HC.  Both teams got what they deserved in those signings - you ignore the obvious (rumors of Rex not putting in the time near the end of the Jets days and players wanting badly to get away from Gase) and the fact the the record got worse and worse.  You focus on well they started off great - it will be better here.

I will take it a step further - there were several people on this board (I am sure we can find the threads) that felt Gase was a better HC than McDermott based upon his Miami win percentage and beating NE (which seems to be something Miami was blessed with).  It was not just owners fooled, but certain fans were tricked by Gase (and honestly Rex here) and it will happen again.  Teams line up and clamor for these retreads and expect something different the second time through.  It takes a very self aware person to change and adjust to become successful the next time through and most of these guys just aren’t that way.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The bottom line is that whatever Gase's intention was, what is not debatable is that Gase has just gone in front of the media and said that Sam Darnold is a failed QB.  Even if you agree with Gase that Darnold is a failed QB, the last person who should be putting that out there to the media is the QB's head coach two-thirds of the way through the season.

It would be like my wife going on tv and saying she feels personally responsible for the fact that her husband is fat.  When I hear that statement, I'm not seeing her taking responsibility for making me cheeseburgers every night for dinner, what I see is my wife going on tv and telling the world that I'm fat.

What do you think the first question Darnold is going to get the next time he is in front of the media?  They will ask Darnold why he thinks he failed.  Is Gase the reason he failed?  Was the lack of supporting cast the reason he failed?  Is having multiple coordinators and offensive systems the reason he failed?  Are Darnold's own shortcomings the reason he failed?  Whatever answer Darnold gives is really meaningless because the underlying premise of all the questions is that Darnold is a failed QB.   Why Darnold failed will be the subject of the week for the New York sports media.  Won't this be a great week for Darnold....

No matter what Gase's intentions were with this statement, it has further damaged Sam Darnold and is just another example of why Gase just doesn't have the basic leadership / people skills to lead any organization.

Gase was one off the first HC's on the hot seat (I had a thread on it) yet here he is, further destroying any chance Blockhead Sam has / had of developing in NY sorry NJ.

Much like Hap said.  Gase + Tannehill = Tannehill not a god QB. (even though they managed to beat NE*** in Miami) 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

Gase is the definition of “dead man walking” in the NFL right now.  Seriously — there is literally nothing he can do to escape this sentence.  Just a horrible hire of a man not equipped to lead an NFL franchise.  I’d say “I told you so” but that’s not my style.

I’ll give the man some credit, however, for admitting that he (and his staff) have failed Sam Darnold.  I don’t think his comment is an attempt to throw shade at Sam...for the first time I can recall he actually sounds self-reflective and is not placing blame on anyone else.

If Adam Gase has a place in the NFL after he is fired it’s in a very specific, narrow role that does not require him to exercise non-existent leadership qualities.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Gase is the definition of “dead man walking” in the NFL right now.  Seriously — there is literally nothing he can do to escape this sentence.  Just a horrible hire of a man not equipped to lead an NFL franchise.  I’d say “I told you so” but that’s not my style.

I’ll give the man some credit, however, for admitting that he (and his staff) have failed Sam Darnold.  I don’t think his comment is an attempt to throw shade at Sam...for the first time I can recall he actually sounds self-reflective and is not placing blame on anyone else.

If Adam Gase has a place in the NFL after he is fired it’s in a very specific, narrow role that does not require him to exercise non-existent leadership qualities.

I don't think Jet's ownership participates in these forums.  Its not clear who you would be saying that too, if it was your style. 

1 hour ago, CapeBreton said:

I thought Gase would be great to have in our division but turns out he is the perfect captain for the tank, they know he won't win a single game. Now they are going to have Trevor Lawrence which just sucks for us.

Don't underestimate the Jets ability to ruin Lawrence.

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

they may even screw just making the pick.

Time to clean house and plan for next season's Staff

A lot of Jets fans are pushing them to trade the pick on the thinking that they need a lot more than just QB and they'd be setting him up to fail with what they have now. 

Let Marrone ruin Lawrence in Jacksonville. 

16 hours ago, Turk71 said:

The only reason they haven't fired Gase is because he's doing such a good job of losing, why blow it now?

The only win the Jets want is the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes and Adam Gase gives them their best shot at it.

Edited by 298Woody

1 hour ago, CapeBreton said:

I thought Gase would be great to have in our division but turns out he is the perfect captain for the tank, they know he won't win a single game. Now they are going to have Trevor Lawrence which just sucks for us.

Lawrence will have his agent tell the jets to go pound sand, in a very professional way, if he has any sense at all, that team is where careers go to die, as we have seen. Hell even Cincinnati is better run... kinda, 

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The bottom line is that whatever Gase's intention was, what is not debatable is that Gase has just gone in front of the media and said that Sam Darnold is a failed QB.  Even if you agree with Gase that Darnold is a failed QB, the last person who should be putting that out there to the media is the QB's head coach two-thirds of the way through the season.

It would be like my wife going on tv and saying she feels personally responsible for the fact that her husband is fat.  When I hear that statement, I'm not seeing her taking responsibility for making me cheeseburgers every night for dinner, what I see is my wife going on tv and telling the world that I'm fat.

What do you think the first question Darnold is going to get the next time he is in front of the media?  They will ask Darnold why he thinks he failed.  Is Gase the reason he failed?  Was the lack of supporting cast the reason he failed?  Is having multiple coordinators and offensive systems the reason he failed?  Are Darnold's own shortcomings the reason he failed?  Whatever answer Darnold gives is really meaningless because the underlying premise of all the questions is that Darnold is a failed QB.   Why Darnold failed will be the subject of the week for the New York sports media.  Won't this be a great week for Darnold....

No matter what Gase's intentions were with this statement, it has further damaged Sam Darnold and is just another example of why Gase just doesn't have the basic leadership / people skills to lead any organization.

To expand on your simile, I think this situation would be if the husband went from in shape to 400 pounds, and then the wife goes on TV and says she needs to do a better job preparing healthy foods and putting him in a situation where success is possible. 

I'll also point out that Gase did not say Darnold is a "failed" QB. In fact, he never said "fail" at all. The reporter used that specific word to describe Gase's comments. 

If you read Gase's comments I think they are fair. He takes responsibility for how Darnold is playing: 

"We need to do things well around him, but at the same time, it's on me to get him to play better than what he's played," Gase said. "I haven't done a good enough job."

"Yeah, it's frustrating," Gase said of the touchdown drought. "For him personally, I'm sure he's bothered by it, knowing things like that.

"I look at it as we've got to do a better job as a staff. We've got to put these guys in the best position possible, and those guys have to go execute. It's on all of us. We have to find a way to do a better job. We have to find a way to put the ball in the end zone."

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Lawrence will have his agent tell the jets to go pound sand, in a very professional way, if he has any sense at all, that team is where careers go to die, as we have seen. Hell even Cincinnati is better run... kinda, 

It wasn't that long ago when you could have said the same thing about the Bills. Gase isn't the real problem there. As long as the Johnson's own the team they will remain a clown show. They get new owners then they can turn it around just like the Bills did.

The fact that the Jets are down to starting a 37-year old running back in 2020 is mind-boggling given the state of offense in the league. There isn't one player out there that be more productive than Frank Gore? Perine is not a real plan either. 

How can a FO go out and sign La'Veon Bell, and then not make use of him.  

They drop Robby Anderson, and let the WR group fall apart to the point of Braxton Berious, an injured Jamison Crowder, Chris Hogan, an injured Denzel Mims. Pathetic. 

This is the least talented set of skill position players I've ever seen in the league outside of the Pat Shurmer Browns.  

In 2020, with offense reigning king, to have this low of a talent level around the #3 overall pick is astounding. And had they picked 6'0" Baker Mayfield, nothing would have been different because he is not transcendent, so their FO doesn't get that excuse either. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

The fact that they're front office identified Le'Veon Bell is somebody they thought would make an impact is part of the issue also. Pittsburgh really didn't want to offer him any type of long-term deal because he was an immature player while he was there and their organizational stability made him look good. The Jets did try to inject some young talent and revamp their offensive line in the off-season, but putting a team together with four new starting offensive linemen given that there isn't any preseason or training camp means that things didn't come together for them. It's largely the same thing we side of the Buffalo defense the first 6 weeks when a lot of guys got injured.

I think trading out of the slot and acquiring a ton of capital is an interesting proposition for the Jets, but that organization has to make a decision on how they feel about Darnold.

He's still young and he's still a good prospect even though it hasn't worked out, but sticking to him means that when you hire the new coach you would have to hire somebody who also likes him, but it's tempting if you can load up on picks to help him.

17 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

You guys clearly don't get that Adam Gase is being used by the media  and by the team as the sacrificial lamb for Sam Darnold.

I don't think the Jets ever wanted Darnold to begin with. I think in 2018 when they traded up from #6 to #3, they thought the Browns would take Darnold at #1 and the Jets were prepared to take Baker at #3. It threw the Jets off guard that the Browns shocked everyone and took Baker #1, leaving them with Darnold. They never liked Darnold (and nor should they, he is not good, wasn't very good at USC). They let Robby walk on purpose because Darnold was so atrocious at connecting with the deep ball with Robby in 2019, that they knew Darnold wasn't the guy after 2 years of watching him play. Robby goes to Carolina, finally gets to play with an accurate QB and boom, Career Year. The Jets had already decided in the offseason that they had given up on Darnold, he was clearly not "the guy"....and Adam Gase is the one who has to act as the punching bag all season, and take the hit for Darnold.

Don't understand why you would sign up for a Bills message board Adam. Surely you have better things to do.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

It wasn't that long ago when you could have said the same thing about the Bills. Gase isn't the real problem there. As long as the Johnson's own the team they will remain a clown show. They get new owners then they can turn it around just like the Bills did.

Yes the Ralph owned Bills were much the same for many years,  careers came here to die, that doesn’t mean Lawrence should tie himself to that tire fire called the jets though. The only success Gase ever had was when he had a Generational talent at QB, (P. Manning) Gase has failed with the last three teams he has coached with, all having losing records. Adam Gase is very much the problem, not jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yes the Ralph owned Bills were much the same for many years,  careers came here to die, that doesn’t mean Lawrence should tie himself to that tire fire called the jets though. The only success Gase ever had was when he had a Generational talent at QB, (P. Manning) Gase has failed with the last three teams he has coached with, all having losing records. Adam Gase is very much the problem, not jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

He won't be there. I bet he won't even make it to "Black Monday". The Jets finish the season at NE for 1:00 game. I bet sometime during the 4:00 games or definitely by SNF it will be announced he was fired. If Douglas hits a HR with the next HC then Jets could turn it around. The Johnson's could easily ruin it though.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1