OMG - He said what? Adam Gase admits he hasn't helped Sam Darnold develop as NFL QB

3 hours ago, FLFan said:

Is there anyone, anywhere at this point who remains unconvinced that Adam Gase is the worst coach in the NFL, by a mile in virtually any measure you could think of?  The NFL should ban him for the good of the game.  

I, for one, hope the Jets sign him to a ten year extension.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

I give Gase credit for riding Manning's coattails to a huge series of unearned paydays. 

Very true, but I could make an argument that many bad coaches got hired through riding the coattails of great players. The real joke was the Jets hiring Gase. It was clear that Manning made the guy after he failed in Miami. Why would anyone hire him after that failed stint ? There should have never been another big unearned payday. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

Darnold looks like he is in the same area as JP and EJ at the end of their careers.  Remember JP's last game?  He had the rollout fumble and it was over.  With EJ, it was the INT to lose the game.  You saw the looks on their faces, you knew they were done here, and new venues ultimately did not help them.  The only hope for Darnold is that Tannehill got way better once out from under Gase.  Time will tell if Darnold is Tannehill, or JP/EJ.

4 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

You guys clearly don't get that Adam Gase is being used by the media  and by the team as the sacrificial lamb for Sam Darnold.

I don't think the Jets ever wanted Darnold to begin with. I think in 2018 when they traded up from #6 to #3, they thought the Browns would take Darnold at #1 and the Jets were prepared to take Baker at #3. It threw the Jets off guard that the Browns shocked everyone and took Baker #1, leaving them with Darnold. They never liked Darnold (and nor should they, he is not good, wasn't very good at USC). They let Robby walk on purpose because Darnold was so atrocious at connecting with the deep ball with Robby in 2019, that they knew Darnold wasn't the guy after 2 years of watching him play. Robby goes to Carolina, finally gets to play with an accurate QB and boom, Career Year. The Jets had already decided in the offseason that they had given up on Darnold, he was clearly not "the guy"....and Adam Gase is the one who has to act as the punching bag all season, and take the hit for Darnold.

Same "L" result with Flacco at the helm. The Jets' problems extend far beyond the QB position--and I couldn't be happier! Except this year for their circular firing squad games against the Pats and Phins--would be nice if they could've eked out a win somewhere inside the division that way. 

5 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I've said it before, if Sam Darnold ever succeeds as an NFL quarterback, it won't be with the Jets. Now I'm starting to wonder where he might end up....Chicago? Carolina? New England?! I'll throw stuff. 

I've said it before but the Saints seem like a good fit as can't see Brees playing past this year and Taysom Hill is not a starting QB IMHO.

4 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Certain players are hopeless and can't be developed. Darnold is one of those guys. Nice guy, atrocious QB with no hope.

Similar things were said about Tannehill under Gase.

At times, Darnold still makes plays that are special.  I think another team will pick him up and give him a chance.  There are several teams that are winning too much to have a shot at a high draft pick QB, but are currently helmed by an aging vet whose fueltank is almost on fumes.  He'll go somewhere and get another shot.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Sam Darnold is a bigger problem with the NY Jets than Adam Gase.

Adam Gase is a better HC than Sam Darnold is a QB.

Darnold is the worst starting QB in the entire NFL. Clearly.

Kind of like Gase was to a Tannehill ? Just sayin’...

6 hours ago, Maybe Someday said:

Darnold has only engineered 6 TD drives all season long. Wow. 🤣

2011.  Sam Bradford.  Rams.

Had shown some flashes and promise his rookie season 2010 under QB whisperer Pat Shurmur.  Rams were 7-9, barely missed the playoffs.  Bradford threw 18 TD, 15 INTs, 220 ypg and everyone in St Louis was putting on their shades because the future looked bright.  Then Shurmur was lured to the Bright Lights of Cleveland by the promise of head coaching glory and the Rams inexplicably hired Josh McDaniels fresh off his HC debacle in Denver.  McDaniels scrapped the WCO and installed the very complex Erhardt-Perkins system he'd run in NE with no one around who had ever played in it.  Backup QB Kellen Clemens had never seen it before.  It was like people in winter gloves reading Braille.

To say Bradford sucked in 2011 is to insult suckage.  The Rams offense was offensive, and Sam led them down the tubes.  Oh yeah, he threw 6 TD and 6 INTs all season (10 games).  Fumbled 8 times and lost 5 of them too.

Next season 2013, under competent OC Brian Schottenheimer, Sam Bradford magically looked like a competent QB once more.  23 TD, 13 INTs, lost 1 fumble all season.  Bradford never did live up to his promise as a franchise QB, but his major problem was his horrible history of knee injuries.  He could certainly play in the right system.  Later in his career, reunited with Shurmur as OC in Philly then Minn, he played pretty well.

My lesson from that is: don't underestimate the impact of the coaching on a young QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JPP said:

Gase is just simply AWESOME!!  As a lifelong Bills fan i really hope the Jets extend him for years to come!

I felt the same way about Rex, I was hoping he would be their coach forever. Instead the Bills hired him. 

Gase is on a whole other level of awful compared to Rex.

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

That would be none other than Sam himself.

These were the excuses we made for JP Losman

Yeah, JP Losman.

And also Josh Allen early in his career.

If you don't think Allen is in a wildly better situation now than he was as a rookie, and that that has been a huge help to him, I don't know what to tell you. Put this year's Josh Allen onto the 2018 Bills team and he'd still be good, but throwing to Zay Jones, Kelvin Benjamin and Robert Foster behind the protection of  a Dawkins-Ducasse-Bodine-John Miller-Jordan Mills OL, he'd be nowhere near as good as he is now.

The reason people are making those excuses for Darnold is that doing so makes sense. It's the smart thing to think.

Coaching and situations can destroy QBs. That's a thing. David Carr is the best example, but there are plenty of others. Tannehill could never amount to anything in Miami, and with a coach who put in a system that fit him, voila. And Losman isn't a bad example, actually. They took him from a situation where he was actually starting to do well and look pretty good in a gun-slinger's offense in 2006 and they fired the OC and brought in Fairchild who ran a dink-and-dunk timing offense that was a complete mismatch for Losman's abilities.

It's not clear he would ever have been a success, but if he had had a chance, bringing in Fairchild destroyed it.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

2011.  Sam Bradford.  Rams.

Had shown some flashes and promise his rookie season 2010 under QB whisperer Pat Shurmur.  Rams were 7-9, barely missed the playoffs.  Bradford threw 18 TD, 15 INTs, 220 ypg and everyone in St Louis was putting on their shades because the future looked bright.  Then Shurmur was lured to the Bright Lights of Cleveland by the promise of head coaching glory and the Rams inexplicably hired Josh McDaniels fresh off his HC debacle in Denver.  McDaniels scrapped the WCO and installed the very complex Erhardt-Perkins system he'd run in NE with no one around who had ever played in it.  Backup QB Kellen Clemens had never seen it before.  It was like people in winter gloves reading Braille.

To say Bradford sucked in 2011 is to insult suckage.  The Rams offense was offensive, and Sam led them down the tubes.  Oh yeah, he threw 6 TD and 6 INTs all season (10 games).  Fumbled 8 times and lost 5 of them too.

Next season 2013, under competent OC Brian Schottenheimer, Sam Bradford magically looked like a competent QB once more.  23 TD, 13 INTs, lost 1 fumble all season.  Bradford never did live up to his promise as a franchise QB, but his major problem was his horrible history of knee injuries.  He could certainly play in the right system.  Later in his career, reunited with Shurmur as OC in Philly then Minn, he played pretty well.

My lesson from that is: don't underestimate the impact of the coaching on a young QB.

100% agree. #3 overall pick in year 3 averaging less than 1 TD drive per game is absolutely an indictment on the coaching staff.  Gase was brought there to develop him but he looks lost half the time. 

8 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30443591/new-york-jets-adam-gase-admits-helped-sam-darnold-develop-nfl-qb

"I came here to help him, help him develop his career, and we haven't been able to do that," said Gase, who is 7-20 and has presided over the NFL's worst offense for the better part of two seasons.

That’s too funny 😂 

The bottom line is that whatever Gase's intention was, what is not debatable is that Gase has just gone in front of the media and said that Sam Darnold is a failed QB.  Even if you agree with Gase that Darnold is a failed QB, the last person who should be putting that out there to the media is the QB's head coach two-thirds of the way through the season.

It would be like my wife going on tv and saying she feels personally responsible for the fact that her husband is fat.  When I hear that statement, I'm not seeing her taking responsibility for making me cheeseburgers every night for dinner, what I see is my wife going on tv and telling the world that I'm fat.

What do you think the first question Darnold is going to get the next time he is in front of the media?  They will ask Darnold why he thinks he failed.  Is Gase the reason he failed?  Was the lack of supporting cast the reason he failed?  Is having multiple coordinators and offensive systems the reason he failed?  Are Darnold's own shortcomings the reason he failed?  Whatever answer Darnold gives is really meaningless because the underlying premise of all the questions is that Darnold is a failed QB.   Why Darnold failed will be the subject of the week for the New York sports media.  Won't this be a great week for Darnold....

No matter what Gase's intentions were with this statement, it has further damaged Sam Darnold and is just another example of why Gase just doesn't have the basic leadership / people skills to lead any organization.

• Like (+1) 2