Collingsworth Apology

John Gianelli

https://www.radio.com/wgr550/sports/nfl/cris-collinsworth-apologizes-for-comment-on-female-nfl-fans

I understand why he probably had to apologize if we wanted to keep his job. That's the society we live in today. But (you probably knew there'd be a "but") I don't see from a logical perspective why he had to apologize.

While in general most casual fans--men and women--don't have a great in-depth knowledge of football, in my personal experience I have found very few female fans who know as much as the more knowledgeable male fans. So if you come across knowledgeable women fans, why not compliment them?

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Reading his apology, that does not sound (read) like it was contrived, written by anyone for him or insincere.  I believe him when he says it was meant to be a compliment.

older people say things in older ways sometimes. Sounds like he didn’t mean it that way and so. I would think he put the issue to rest.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

older people say things in older ways sometimes. Sounds like he didn’t mean it that way and so. I would think he put the issue to rest.

Until someone digs up that awkward interview from when he was player in which he hinted at having relations with underage girls.

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't think he meant anything by it, but I'm quite sure he was told to make the apology.

Most fans here seem to hate Collinsworth, and I assume that's because he is the opposite of an attacking, bitter kind of guy who would try to make a negative comment about females.  He's exactly the opposite of that during his broadcasts.

Everything and everyone is fantastic in his world.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

It is a joke he had to apologize for anything, he said nothing wrong and if someone is offended by that that is their problem not his.  It does pretty sum up the sad state of affairs in this country though, everybody is looking to play card.  If NBC told him to apologize I would told them to f off.   He said nothing wrong.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Sounds pretty genuine. If you listen to what it said he obviously wanted to compliment the fans and he did it in a bad way so I think the apology sums up what happened - I'm willing  cut him a break.

Gotta say - one of my best bragging points about my wife is that she can spot a neutral zone infraction - show her a dead ball foul and she'll tell you the guilty party....

• Thank you (+1) 1

All I know is for years my wife would go to church at noon, then go shopping during the afternoon on Sundays during Bills season and I would watch the game alone and in silence, literally.

Now with the Bills doing well and enjoyable to watch win or lose, she wants to watch the games with me, but wants the volume on to hear the announcers and also offer her commentary.

I'm thinking about going to church and shopping on Sundays during Bills season.....alone.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Haha (+1) 3

16 hours ago, SDS said:

Or maybe he is truly sorry, he made an awkward statement and wanted to apologize on his own? What makes you think he was forced? 

>>>"I'm sick about insulting any fan, but especially female fans and journalists. I know first hand how much harder they have to work than any of us in this industry. I was wrong and I deeply apologize."<<<

Because the above is babbling and pandering. Female FANS and journalists work harder than Nick Saban, who is said to put in 14-16 hour days, and has for years? Really? College coaches spend their "off seasons" recruiting. It is at the point where it is thought to be a harder job than being an NFL coach. His comment was a ridiculous assertion.

Now, as for football knowledge, a woman CAN know as much or more than a man about football if she chooses to. I know several women who I am sure understand the game better than I do. One in particular (who we both know quite well) knows a lot more than me about football and most other sports. This is fact. It entirely possible for women to know more than men about football. My contention is that it isn't very common imo. As the owner of this board, how common would you say it is? 

It doesn't really matter imo. I am not embarrassed by knowing less than Lori about the game, just as I am not embarrassed to know less about it than @BADOLBILZ and/or @Simon

It is great that there are experts here that I can learn from, and sex is not an issue.  No need for Collinsworth to pander.

JMO!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 3

I have no love for Collinsworth, his commentary and analytics. But I was watching the game live when he made these comments and quite honestly found nothing wrong with what he said and in some way found it complimentary more than anything.

Then again I am over 50 and not a female.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, SDS said:

Or maybe he is truly sorry, he made an awkward statement and wanted to apologize on his own? What makes you think he was forced? 

Because it's 2020 and what he said wasn't really egregious. 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Chris Collinsworth > Tony Romo

I will die on that hill.

You will die lonely then, my friend.

On 12/3/2020 at 11:58 AM, John Gianelli said:

https://www.radio.com/wgr550/sports/nfl/cris-collinsworth-apologizes-for-comment-on-female-nfl-fans

I understand why he probably had to apologize if we wanted to keep his job. That's the society we live in today. But (you probably knew there'd be a "but") I don't see from a logical perspective why he had to apologize.

While in general most casual fans--men and women--don't have a great in-depth knowledge of football, in my personal experience I have found very few female fans who know as much as the more knowledgeable male fans. So if you come across knowledgeable women fans, why not compliment them?

I didn’t think it was that bad or he meant any I’ll will from it.

but why is it when someone apologizes, it must mean they were forced? Maybe some people aren’t pieces of 💩 and want to grow.  It amazes how so resistant to change some humans are. This country would be so much better if people could listen to other’s perspective and learn.

7 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I have no love for Collinsworth, his commentary and analytics. But I was watching the game live when he made these comments and quite honestly found nothing wrong with what he said and in some way found it complimentary more than anything.

Then again I am over 50 and not a female.

Honestly, I think that part is great. I wish people would not try to pretend they can think for other people and how they should react to situations. I didn’t see what the big deal was either but like you said, I’m not a female.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.