For the folks who say a Playoff win is the goal this year.. Are the Bills not a better team than some Super Bowl champions of the past?

Of course a Super Bowl victory would be fantastic but this isn't a Super Bowl or Bust team either.  We are just getting started and arriving to the big boys table in this league.  We are a team trending upwards, I don't think the pressure to go all the way should be there yet but I think it's ok for fans to think it wouldn't be the craziest idea ever especially because there doesn't seem to be any truly great teams in today's NFL except for KC.  

The Chiefs are going to be around for a while. The Bills winning a Super Bowl depends entirely on how well Josh plays in the playoffs. If we get Seattle Josh, or LA Rams Josh, Bills will win a few games. I don’t think this is their year but they’re trending in the right direction. A division and playoff win would be a good start.

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

For the folks who say a Playoff win is the goal this year.. Are the Bills not a better team than some Super Bowl champions of the past?

No.

Could they get there theoretically if they peak at the right time? Sure. But better now? No way.

39 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

I mean I wonder what the goal for those Giants team were before the playoffs started? I doubt they thought they would won it all

Dr. Z picked them as champions in S.I. before the playoffs that first year, the year the Pats went 19-0. Their defense had just become healthy.

In their last game they had played the best game anyone had played against the Pats all year long, just barely losing 38 - 35, when nobody else had scored more than 28 against NE that year. I haven't the slightest doubt they thought they had an excellent chance.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

Agree...hard to compare past champions to these Bills in a hypothetical matchup.

Bills have the potential to go far. Play 4 quarters of mistake free football with the offense and defense playing at a high level, they can make noise.

I believe that the Chiefs are the only team that is superior in talent. I believe that the Steelers and Saints have a stronger history of consistently good coaching.

Other than that, playoffs are just one game at a time, so anyone can win.

Go Bills. Let's take care of SF this week.

Edited by Wizard

I appreciate the OP question.

I don't think the goal should be a playoff win. As many have said there are only 2-3 true SuperBowl favorites but many other teams in the hunt. I also beleive they should be in a win now mode.  Do I think they have a realistic shot at winning SuperBowls? No. But a first round playoff loss would be a great disappointment similar to losing to Cleveland in the first round of the playoffs in 1989 or even to the Bengals the year before as both of those games the Bills were good enough to win.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Well.. I don’t necessarily expect it.. but I also realize that way way worst teams than the 2020 Bills have won it.. Think the status quo should be that the Bills lock down the AFC East every year, hopefully dominate the Pats and Dolphins and just go on run after run for the next 12-15 years Josh is here.. Goal should never be just a measly playoff win, dream a little.. 👍

Oh bro, I can dream, and I do.

I just don’t expect them to win a Super Bowl this year. I expect them to be competitive in the playoffs. And in the playoffs, anything can happen.

Good back and forth, bro!

I have said in other threads that I would find winning the division and winning a playoff game to be a successful season.  That is different than a goal. The goal for every team always is to win a superbowl.  Not winning a superbowl doesnt mean a team wasnt successful though.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think our goal should be to win the Super Bowl every year we make the playoffs.. Do we really want the Bills to have a future like Philip Rivers did in San Diego every year? Ohhh. You threw for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs so you must be good!! but then you lose in the first round of the Playoffs every year..

It is even worse than that for Rivers.  He made the playoffs with the Chargers exactly four times in his career with one year taking them to the Conference Championship.   Denver and Kansas City has been on his path all these years.

10 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

This is very true. The AFC is by far the stronger conference this year. Unfortunately there are other AFC teams with just as good of a shot. If Buffalo can field a fully healthy squad of starters and if they or any other team can catch KC on a bad day it's very possible. Seattle has no D, NO has no Brees, and GB has no fear factor. 

That being said I'd love to see a Bills/KC AFC Championship Game 

Bills have no answer for what the Chiefs do on offense.    Not sure anyone does.   But McBeanes have stuck to their process,  creating a roster that is highly competitive in every game and now the wins are coming.    Keep your expectations in check.   Just enjoy the ride.   I just don't see them getting past either the Titans or Chiefs as they both do things on offense the Bills have no answer for and won't have an answer for until next year.   But hey, lets play the games,   turnovers , injuries, etc. can change rosters and turn games that on paper should not go your way.  go bills 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Bills have no answer for what the Chiefs do on offense.    Not sure anyone does.   But McBeanes have stuck to their process,  creating a roster that is highly competitive in every game and now the wins are coming.    Keep your expectations in check.   Just enjoy the ride.   I just don't see them getting past either the Titans or Chiefs as they both do things on offense the Bills have no answer for and won't have an answer for until next year.   But hey, lets play the games,   turnovers , injuries, etc. can change rosters and turn games that on paper should not go your way.  go bills 

I disagree with your view on the Titans. Henry has yet to rush for over 100 yards against the Bills both last year and this year as well. Bills didn't have Tre, Levi, Milano or Smoke that game earlier and all the BS with Covid didn't help their prep going into that game. AJ Brown would not abuse Tre like he did Norman and Taron and Tannehill does not break away from the pocket for big chunks with Milano on the field.  Yes, I will give them credit for controlling the clock as well as dictating field position but I just don't find them as scary opponent as KC. Give me my 4 starters back with no distractions and I like Buffalo's chances against Tennessee.

15 hours ago, H2o said:

If we are as healthy as possible, and peaking at the right time on both sides of the ball, then we have a LEGITIMATE shot this year. The defense has started to come around. John Brown should be back just in time for the Playoffs. If Milano and Dodson can be healthy for the remainder of the season, if the running game can continue it's current trajectory, and if the OL can remain healthy while building continuity? There is no reason to believe we cannot hang with anyone in this league. 

All of this is true and would be damn-near miraculous if it happened. 
not to mention somehow avoiding more covid cases. 

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I just don't see them getting past either the Titans or Chiefs as they both do things on offense the Bills have no answer for and won't have an answer for until next year.   But hey, lets play the games,   turnovers , injuries, etc. can change rosters and turn games that on paper should not go your way.  go bills 

I agree that the Chiefs would be a really tough playoff game for the Bills. 
However... I think a healthy Bills team in the playoffs would pistol-whip the Titans. That game left a bad taste in every way possible. 
the only thing the Titans did to beat us that game was beat our contain. The Bills have shored up their contain problems in recent weeks and they are playing much more disciplined on D now. 

17 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think our goal should be to win the Super Bowl every year we make the playoffs.. Do we really want the Bills to have a future like Philip Rivers did in San Diego every year? Ohhh. You threw for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs so you must be good!! but then you lose in the first round of the Playoffs every year..

In a hypothetical scenario, the Bills vs some of the more recent Super Bowl champs like the 2007 Giants.. the 2011 Giants.. the 2015 Broncos.. the 2017 Eagles... ————— I’d take Buffalo vs all these guys.. C’mon.. Peyton Manning snuck one out his final year and he threw 9 TDs and like 17 picks that year.. We have just a good of chance as anyone.. WAY worse teams than the 2020 Buffalo Bills have won it all.. Just gotta get hot at the right time and own the AFC East for the next 10-15 years consistently and we should be golden..

Once the playoffs start ***** your record.. *Patriots 19-1

It's not who you're better than from year's past, it's how well you stack up against the teams that stand between you and the superbowl this year.

I don't think there's a temperature this team can play at(getting hot) that makes them better than at least 3 teams in the AFC right now, even if those teams play slightly off.

I love this team's trajectory, but it's not high enough this year.

My boy is home from college and we just had this discussion over a big breakfast🤓

Our team is starting to figure things out in all phases of the game. You want to peak at the right time and we are setting up that possibility. 
     IMO, injury luck , down the stretch, is the most important need. If we stay healthy and some of our opponents aren’t, it will be huge.

I ABSOLUTELY am hoping for the SB and think it is a distinct possibility!!!!

14 hours ago, dma0034 said:

I mean I wonder what the goal for those Giants team were before the playoffs started? I doubt they thought they would won it all

Spot on!!!!! That first Giants team was at points BAD that season. Coughlin was on a serious hot seat as I recall.

Edited by Buffalo Boy