For the folks who say a Playoff win is the goal this year.. Are the Bills not a better team than some Super Bowl champions of the past?

I think our goal should be to win the Super Bowl every year we make the playoffs.. Do we really want the Bills to have a future like Philip Rivers did in San Diego every year? Ohhh. You threw for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs so you must be good!! but then you lose in the first round of the Playoffs every year..

In a hypothetical scenario, the Bills vs some of the more recent Super Bowl champs like the 2007 Giants.. the 2011 Giants.. the 2015 Broncos.. the 2017 Eagles... ————— I’d take Buffalo vs all these guys.. C’mon.. Peyton Manning snuck one out his final year and he threw 9 TDs and like 17 picks that year.. We have just a good of chance as anyone.. WAY worse teams than the 2020 Buffalo Bills have won it all.. Just gotta get hot at the right time and own the AFC East for the next 10-15 years consistently and we should be golden..

Once the playoffs start ***** your record.. *Patriots 19-1

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I think our goal should be to win the Super Bowl every year we make the playoffs.. Do we really want the Bills to have a future like Philip Rivers did in San Diego every year? Ohhh. You threw for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs so you must be good!! but then you lose in the first round of the Playoffs every year..

In a hypothetical scenario, the Bills vs some of the more recent Super Bowl champs like the 2007 Giants.. the 2011 Giants.. the 2015 Broncos.. the 2017 Eagles... ————— I’d take Buffalo vs all these guys.. C’mon.. Peyton Manning snuck one out his final year and he threw 9 TDs and like 17 picks that year.. We have just a good of chance as anyone.. WAY worse teams than the 2020 Buffalo Bills have won it all.. Just gotta get hot at the right time and own the AFC East for the next 10-15 years consistently and we should be golden..

I hear what you’re saying.

I believe once you get to the playoffs anything can happen and that’s been proven a few times over the past decade or so when it comes to Super Bowl winners. That said, there’s a difference between hoping that they can do it vs. realistic expectations that they will.

I think that’s where some people are landing at least. I hope that they will, and I think they have a decent shot, but I don’t expect them to yet.

Just now, BillsFan619 said:

I hear what you’re saying.

I believe once you get to the playoffs anything can happen and that’s been proven a few times over the past decade or so when it comes to Super Bowl winners. That said, there’s a difference between hoping that they can do it vs. realistic expectations that they will.

I think that’s where some people are landing at least. I hope that they will, and I think they have a decent shot, but I don’t expect them to yet.

Well.. I don’t necessarily expect it.. but I also realize that way way worst teams than the 2020 Bills have won it.. Think the status quo should be that the Bills lock down the AFC East every year, hopefully dominate the Pats and Dolphins and just go on run after run for the next 12-15 years Josh is here.. Goal should never be just a measly playoff win, dream a little.. 👍

If we are as healthy as possible, and peaking at the right time on both sides of the ball, then we have a LEGITIMATE shot this year. The defense has started to come around. John Brown should be back just in time for the Playoffs. If Milano and Dodson can be healthy for the remainder of the season, if the running game can continue it's current trajectory, and if the OL can remain healthy while building continuity? There is no reason to believe we cannot hang with anyone in this league. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, H2o said:

If we are as healthy as possible, and peaking at the right time on both sides of the ball, then we have a LEGITIMATE shot this year. The defense has started to come around. John Brown should be back just in time for the Playoffs. If Milano and Dodson can be healthy for the remainder of the season, if the running game can continue it's current trajectory, and if the OL can remain healthy while building continuity? There is no reason to believe we cannot hang with anyone in this league. 

Yes my friend! YES!

It should be the goal of the Players and Bills coaches to win the Super Bowl every year, nothing short of that.

As a fan, I can have realistic expectations or whatever expectations I want. I would be thrilled just to get to the Super Bowl, that would make me happy.  I still recall the glory days, hen sniveling non-Bill fans want to try and rib me about losing four in a row i look at them and try to explain how much incredible fun it was just to get there.

I would take a Super Bowl right now in a heartbeat.  One playoff in does little for me, Super Bowl of bust.

A playoff win is not the goal, to say so is a bit of a red herring imo.  A playoff win / AFCE crown is a logical “next step”. The end Goal has always been to win it all. One just needs to be aware enough to understand that the end goal is not always attainable, ie;  the seventeen years of futility being an example of the end goal not being attainable... those that declare the team a failure for not reaching a certain goal, when it was likely never going to happen to begin with deservedly suffer a fool’s errand... 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

In those hypotheticals, sure you have a case - but the reason those teams won was because of the talent present at the time as well as other variables. There's no reason the 2020 Bills being better than any of those past teams means they are better than the 2020 Chiefs or 2020 Steelers, among others. it's also true that a playoff win at minimum is a very real possibility - my hopes are it will come at home for a change. We'd all love to see that and this is the closest we've been to it in a long time.

But that said, all that matters is how well they match-up and perform against present talent - which for the year is quite exceptional and very AFC concentrated. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

In those hypotheticals, sure you have a case - but the reason those teams won was because of the talent present at the time as well as other variables. There's no reason the 2020 Bills being better than any of those past teams means they are better than the 2020 Chiefs or 2020 Steelers, among others. it's also true that a playoff win at minimum is a very real possibility - my hopes are it will come at home for a change. We'd all love to see that and this is the closest we've been to it in a long time.

But that said, all that matters is how well they match-up and perform against present talent - which for the year is quite exceptional and very AFC concentrated. 

But would the Chiefs and Steelers beat the 2007 and 2011 Patriots? 

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

This is very true. The AFC is by far the stronger conference this year. Unfortunately there are other AFC teams with just as good of a shot. If Buffalo can field a fully healthy squad of starters and if they or any other team can catch KC on a bad day it's very possible. Seattle has no D, NO has no Brees, and GB has no fear factor. 

That being said I'd love to see a Bills/KC AFC Championship Game 

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I appreciate the optimism.  And I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE a SB win.  I'm just not expecting it.

I don't believe the Bills have "just a good of chance as anyone."  Just in the AFC, I think the Steelers and Chiefs, for example, are far more likely to make it to Tampa.  The Chiefs have have a dominant offense.  The Steelers have a dominant defense.  Neither the Bills O nor D rank in the top 5, or even the top 10.  We're not dominant anywhere.  

The goal should always be to win the Super Bowl.  But without a playoff victory this century, I admit that I'd be thrilled with just one playoff win.  Beyond happy if we get two. 

A Super Bowl victory - however unlikely - would launch me into the supreme transcendental state of sat chit ananda - absolute being, absolute consciousness, absolute bliss - or the closest to it this sinner is ever likely to get.   

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

The 2017 Eagles and 2015 Broncos were better than us.

The problem is the Chiefs are so good. I think we could beat any other team in the AFC including the Steelers who despite their record are good but severely overrated. Could the Bills beat the Chiefs? Sure I think they could but out of 10 times I would probably say they would win 2 or 3 out of 10

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

But would the Chiefs and Steelers beat the 2007 and 2011 Patriots? 

I appreciate the enthusiasm, vastly more so than the doom and gloom, but all that matters is if the 2020 Bills are better than the rest of their 2020 opponents.

For s**** & gigs, I'd say the Chiefs are - not so sure about the Steelers honestly, given some of the game today. But they undefeated which is hard enough in any year, so guess we'll see when we play em.

Any one of about 15-18 teams could win the Super Bowl. Bills are 5th best of the bunch, so yes a decent chance. Look at the betting odds - KC is the favorite follow by Steelers, then  Bills and Titans ahead of BAL, IND, CLE. In NFC its Saints, Seahawks, Packers, Rams, Bucs. 

As far as prior years, who gives a rats arse. Not relevant.