The State of the AFCE

40 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Browns look like they turned the corner with Stefanski's hiring...

That's what I was referring. They're not there yet but it's not from lack of effort. If you draft what you believe to be a franchise QB you gotta give him a chance and provide him weapons.

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

That's what I was referring. They're not there yet but it's not from lack of effort. If you draft what you believe to be a franchise QB you gotta give him a chance and provide him weapons.

Mayfield is more of a game manager right now. Not exactly what I would have hoped for from the #1 pick 3 years in if I was a Browns fan.

Mayfield has 0 300 yard games this year and in 6 of the 11 games he doesn't even have 200 yards passing.

Basically at this point he is a more turnover prone slightly better all around QB than Tyrod.

Edited by matter2003

13 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Mayfield is more of a game manager right now. Not exactly what I would have hoped for from the #1 pick 3 years in if I was a Browns fan.

Mayfield has 0 300 yard games this year and in 6 of the 11 games he doesn't even have 200 yards passing.

Basically at this point he is a more turnover prone slightly better all around QB than Tyrod.

I agree Mayfield hasn't been a world-beater this year but I thought we were past 300 yard games lol

People are going to think this is odd, but I think long term the Jets are in the best situation.  

New England: has cap space, but they also are winning just enough to blow the opportunity to secure a good young quarterback this offseason.    That said, they most likely have to go into 2021 with someone like Jacoby Brissett or Garropolo as their starter.  Add that to an aging defense, and aging head coach and I think that leaves you with a team who continually plays 8-8 to 9-7 football until Belichick retires.   Being a Bills fan this long has taught me a lot of things about mediocrity, that said the worst place for an NFL franchise is to be middling.   They need to reset with young players, especially on offense.   Bill isnt going to do that.  He wants to win, not rebuild.

Miami: Brian Flores is a fine coach, but to me is one of the more overrated .444 win pct coaches ever.   The defense is good, but you nothing changes year to year more than a defense's ability to score and change games.   They may be a good defense for awhile but they arent going to keep scoring touchdowns like they are.   The Dolphins have draft picks, and cap space which is great.  What they dont have is a bright future at the Quarterback position.   Simply put, and I may be wrong, they made the wrong choice when they took Tua.   They should have taken Herbert, and I dont think its really that close.   Tua was a great college quarterback, but he is undersized, injury prone, and really doesnt have the arm it takes to be a long term answer at Quarterback.   They may be having success right now, but I think it starts to fizzle as the season goes on, and if they dont seriously consider looking at another QB this offseason, Flores may be looking for another job in a year or two.

As everyone is seeing with Buffalo right now, picking the right Quarterback is imperative for long term success.   Right now, the Bills are setup for the best chance at long term success.  The Jets could be right behind them if they choose wisely, if they dont, then they wont.   Its a Quarterback driven league, and I think both the Patriots and Dolphins are going the wrong way at that position.

18 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

People are going to think this is odd, but I think long term the Jets are in the best situation.  

New England: has cap space, but they also are winning just enough to blow the opportunity to secure a good young quarterback this offseason.    That said, they most likely have to go into 2021 with someone like Jacoby Brissett or Garropolo as their starter.  Add that to an aging defense, and aging head coach and I think that leaves you with a team who continually plays 8-8 to 9-7 football until Belichick retires.   Being a Bills fan this long has taught me a lot of things about mediocrity, that said the worst place for an NFL franchise is to be middling.   They need to reset with young players, especially on offense.   Bill isnt going to do that.  He wants to win, not rebuild.

Miami: Brian Flores is a fine coach, but to me is one of the more overrated .444 win pct coaches ever.   The defense is good, but you nothing changes year to year more than a defense's ability to score and change games.   They may be a good defense for awhile but they arent going to keep scoring touchdowns like they are.   The Dolphins have draft picks, and cap space which is great.  What they dont have is a bright future at the Quarterback position.   Simply put, and I may be wrong, they made the wrong choice when they took Tua.   They should have taken Herbert, and I dont think its really that close.   Tua was a great college quarterback, but he is undersized, injury prone, and really doesnt have the arm it takes to be a long term answer at Quarterback.   They may be having success right now, but I think it starts to fizzle as the season goes on, and if they dont seriously consider looking at another QB this offseason, Flores may be looking for another job in a year or two.

As everyone is seeing with Buffalo right now, picking the right Quarterback is imperative for long term success.   Right now, the Bills are setup for the best chance at long term success.  The Jets could be right behind them if they choose wisely, if they dont, then they wont.   Its a Quarterback driven league, and I think both the Patriots and Dolphins are going the wrong way at that position.

Good assessment on the Pats.  I see it similarly.  I would give the nod to Miami over the Jets as best set up for long term success (besides us).  Neither has a QB for sure imo but Miami has more pieces in place while still having a lot of draft capital. 

Yes Flores owns a 0.444 record currently, but that Dolphins team last year was hot trash and clearly he is better than Gase. 

My assessment involves Coach, QB, rest of roster.  I start with where they are currently and then i noted draft capital (best place to get difference makers). Order of strength in AFC East and how much they could grow:

Bills have all three (hard to improve, but you have all three)

Miami has rest of roster, decent coach, and maybe a QB (probably could improve if they sell out for a QB again, but will likely pick up pieces to fill an already stacked roster > resulting in losing those pieces in ~3-4 years)

Pats have Coach and a bit of the rest of roster (agree not sure how they improve with expected middling performance going forward)  

Jets have nothing (definitely should improve but a long ways to go)  

• Like (+1) 1