Interesting Note...Bills D rounding into form? From weeks 7-12 Bills have posted 7th best Defensive DVOA at -12.0%

Big Turk

What I was expecting even when they were not playing well early in the year...this D is too well coached and too talented to play that poorly all year.  Had some new pieces they had to figure out how to best fit in there, and they have done a pretty good job as of late, especially with becoming a pressure defense.

As reported by Aaron Schatz at Football Outsiders:

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, dma0034 said:

They are blitzing more and have their 2nd best corner in. I see these as why it's gotten better

Also the Brass finally figuring out how best to use the players they have in a Covid-impacted season.

Definitely encouraging as we enter the final stretch! 

From the Athletic:

Buffalo’s defense has turned a corner. The Bills aren’t a perfect defensive team and are still susceptible to teams overpowering them with their running game. But the pass defense is back to playing the way it did in 2019 when the Bills had one of the league’s best defenses. In the first six games of the season, the Bills were fifth worst in the NFL, allowing a passer rating of 106.9 to opposing quarterbacks. They also allowed 12 passing touchdowns and had only two interceptions during that run.

In the five games since then, the Bills are fourth best in the NFL, allowing a passer rating of 77.3. During that stretch, the Bills are also third in the league in both passing touchdowns against (4) and interceptions (6). While they had games against the Jets and Patriots in that five-game period, the Bills also had to face Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray and Herbert the last three weeks.

What I have noticed is that we still get gashed like a hot knife through soft partially-melted butter (to loosely borrow from another poster who cracked me up in a game day thread) where an opposing team just marches down the field - especially noticeable when they are running no-huddle or 2 minute drills.

But game-day adjustments seem to happen more quickly, and be more effective. Not only during the game, I have seen a noticeable improvement of halftime adjustments. I have been pretty critical of Leslie being slow to adapt, but I think he is figuring out what the many new pieces in his defense can do and how to best use them; He has a better handle on his situational personnel packages, and they have sat some players that just were not getting it done and the reps by the backups have shed more light on what they do well.

Lastly we have gotten a bit more stingy on 3rd downs. Not that we rank where we need to be and we give up drives, but we have forced a few more punts than earlier in the year when I cannot remember other teams having to actually punt the ball - a bend don't break effort. I also think we have gotten better in the red zone. We have only moved the needle a bit statistically the first 8 games we were sitting at 61.36% opponents scoring (TD only) in the red zone, the last 3 games we have gotten that down to 58.33%.

We have also slightly increased our takeaways per game, but our offense needs to not return the favor :)

I am not that guy, but to get an idea of how Miami has improved over the season, over their first 8 games they were 60% opponents scoring in their red zone, their past 3 games they have improved to 40% - that is a significant jump. The Bills will need to take them very seriously as they do have a lot of talent on that young defense, but it was clear that they had not come together yet executing their schemes earlier in the year.

Edited by WideNine

Edmunds is not hurt and Klein and Hughes have really stepped up. Good to have Levi Wallace back as well. Still missing Lotuleilei on the inside runs - but overall nothing much to complain about on the Defensive side the past few weeks. Yes Tre needs to get back to last year's form - but even at 80%, he appears adequate.

quite frankly, I am more worried about the state of the OL at this point. There were plays when the Olineman has been pushed 7-8 yards behind LOS. And we do need John Brown back soon (having him on the other side frees up Diggs a lot).

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

What I was expecting even when they were not playing well early in the year...this D is too well coached and too talented to play that poorly all year.  Had some new pieces they had to figure out how to best fit in there, and they have done a pretty good job as of late, especially with becoming a pressure defense.

As reported by Aaron Schatz at Football Outsiders:

Thank you for this.  I was wondering what their ranking was after the past month or so when the defense has been playing up to form.  This is what I had thought!

It seems that most seasons, a talented team gets hot late in the season and rides the wave to a deep playoff push (2019 Titans). The Bills this season have had a lot of key injuries yet still have found success. Looks like this team is getting healthy at the right time.

The Bills are well poised to be that hot team heading into the final stretch. Fingers crossed.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, WideNine said:

What I have noticed is that we still get gashed like a hot knife through soft partially-melted butter (to loosely borrow from another poster who cracked me up in a game day thread) where an opposing team just marches down the field - especially noticeable when they are running no-huddle or 2 minute drills.

But game-day adjustments seem to happen more quickly, and be more effective. Not only during the game, I have seen a noticeable improvement of halftime adjustments. I have been pretty critical of Leslie being slow to adapt, but I think he is figuring out what the many new pieces in his defense can do and how to best use them; He has a better handle on his situational personnel packages, and they have sat some players that just were not getting it done and the reps by the backups have shed more light on what they do well.

Lastly we have gotten a bit more stingy on 3rd downs. Not that we rank where we need to be and we give up drives, but we have forced a few more punts than earlier in the year when I cannot remember other teams having to actually punt the ball - a bend don't break effort. I also think we have gotten better in the red zone. We have only moved the needle a bit statistically the first 8 games we were sitting at 61.36% opponents scoring (TD only) in the red zone, the last 3 games we have gotten that down to 58.33%.

We have also slightly increased our takeaways per game, but our offense needs to not return the favor :)

I am not that guy, but to get an idea of how Miami has improved over the season, over their first 8 games they were 60% opponents scoring in their red zone, their past 3 games they have improved to 40% - that is a significant jump. The Bills will need to take them very seriously as they do have a lot of talent on that young defense, but it was clear that they had not come together yet executing their schemes earlier in the year.

The last 3 games we played the 5th, 2nd and 3rd ranked offenses in the NFL in the Seahawks, Cardinals and Chargers. The fact our TD percentage allowed went down and not up is pretty astounding actually.  Miami played the Chargers, Broncos and Jets. So they replaced playing the 2nd and 5th ranked offenses with the 27th and 32nd ranked offenses. And the Bills actually allowed fewer points to the Chargers than Miami did. Of course the Dolphins TD percentage should go down drastically because the other 2 teams they played that differ from us suck offensively. 

This is why perspective is actually important when looking at statistics or you end up coming up with silliness like you just did.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The last 3 games we played the 5th, 2nd and 3rd ranked offenses in the NFL in the Seahawks, Cardinals and Chargers. The fact our TD percentage allowed went down and not up is pretty astounding actually.  Miami played the Chargers, Broncos and Jets. So they replaced playing the 2nd and 5th ranked offenses with the 27th and 32nd ranked offenses. And the Bills actually allowed fewer points to the Chargers than Miami did.  This is why perspective is actually important when looking at statistics or you end up coming up with silliness like you just did.

That's fair and good points. I think Miami is a bit more dangerous with Fitz back there now and I do think their defense has improved, but one should to take into account strength of schedule over the past few games. 

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

That's fair and good points. I think Miami is a bit more dangerous with Fitz back there now and I do think their defense has improved, but one should to take into account strength of schedule over the past few games. 

More dangerous for both other teams and his own.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So they are getting better as the season goes on

I think it is def worthy to note that we have faced some very good offenses this year......

Also worth noting that we have faced 3 top 5 offenses in the timeframe of the improvements as well...so the improvements are coming against VERY GOOD offenses, not bottom feeders

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterLifer said:

My bad, I missed the tongue in cheek. I see it now - I scanned rather than read. Sorry.

I will give you my patented, "go thee and sin no more" reply - for what its worth.

We all get called out from time to time for posting bad info, or missing the sarcasm button. No worries.

50 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

More dangerous for both other teams and his own.

Fitz is playing at a high level and his arm is pretty rested. That, and he always brings his "A" game against us.

Tua has good mobility to extend plays and drives, but I don't think he is anywhere near what we faced with Murray and the Phins offense is pretty pared down when he is behind center. I like our chances and McD has done a good job confusing rookie QBs.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I will give you my patented, "go thee and sin no more" reply - for what its worth.

We all get called out from time to time for posting bad info, or missing the sarcasm button. No worries.

Fitz is playing at a high level and his arm is pretty rested. That, and he always brings his "A" game against us.

Tua has good mobility to extend plays and drives, but I don't think he is anywhere near what we faced with Murray and the Phins offense is pretty pared down when he is behind center. I like our chances and McD has done a good job confusing rookie QBs.

You mean like he did in the last game of the season with the Jets in Buffalo when all they needed to do was win to be in and he threw like 3 4th quarter INT's, one being in the end zone, to seal the loss? And miss the playoffs.

Well, he has another week 17 matchup in Buffalo....but I doubt it will matter to us this time for an entirely different reason.

I can't see Tua going back in at this point unless Fitz craps the bed.  He really stagnated their offense in the 3 games he played.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1