What is a successful season for the 2020 Bills?

BITE ME

The playoffs are a crapshoot.  A successful season is (a deserved) 12-4 or better.  We're on pace for that so far.  Ideally, once you're in the playoffs, you win a few games, but if the Colts or something just happen to play out of their minds in the WC round that's not apocalyptic.

1 hour ago, InEnemyTerritory said:

The playoffs are a crapshoot.  A successful season is (a deserved) 12-4 or better.  We're on pace for that so far.  Ideally, once you're in the playoffs, you win a few games, but if the Colts or something just happen to play out of their minds in the WC round that's not apocalyptic.

when you have a  93% chance to make the playoffs

I doubt they will miss the playoffs 

They also have an 80 % chance to take the division 

where Miami is 56% and 18%. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/upshot/nfl-playoff-picture.amp.html

No worries mate. Bob’s your uncle. 

I'll be really disappointed if we lose in the 1st round of the playoffs.  It would really suck.  

Having said that...

We are now one of the handful of teams in the NFL where the ownership and all but the most pessimistic fans have faith in the Quarterback, Head Coach and General Manager all at the same time.  I don't think that was quite the case last season and it certainly hadn't been for the quarter century before it.  So perhaps this is already a successful season.

Another thing that it's been a quarter century since - fans of other teams see us coming up on the schedule and go "Crap, it's the Bills.  That'll be a tough one."

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

We all want a SB victory, that's freaking obvious.  But every year that goal is more realistic for some teams than others. From a conversational standpoint, I think it's either lazy, ignorant or arrogant to call every year that you don't win a SB unsuccessful. 

Going into this season I thought the most important measure of success for the Bills was #17 taking it to the next level. IMO, we've seen that and it's is far more important to me than winning the SB this season. I want to go into every season thinking we have a shot at winning the SB. Right now I feel like we have the guy behind center who can do it. If I still feel that way after this season (and post season)  I'll consider it a successful season. When Josh is hoisting the Lombardi in February I'll consider it a highly successful season.

Go Bills!

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For me it is a division win and a playoff win.  Anything less is a Failure major disappointment.  Of course a playoff loss to a superior team would be easier to take than another choke job like Houston last year.  Anything more is a welcome surprise would not be shocking and again if not a Super Bowl win would depend on how the loss occurred. A shootout loss to KC I coudl live with.  A 3 turnover game by Allen or a mind numbing mistake by McD would be hard to stomach.  

8 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

Our December consists of a home game against the likely 12-0 Steelers and 3 road games against 3 teams that currently have losing records.  All 3 road games are tougher than they look on paper.  We close out with a Dolphins team that will likely be playing for a wild card or even the division.

What is your definition of a successful season?

For me it is a division win and a playoff win.  Anything less is a Failure.  Anything more is a welcome surprise.  

I felt they could make the AFC title game and I stand by that...I can see them winning a game at home and then shocking the world in round 2 with an upset on the road 

8 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Win the division, get a home playoff game. Win a playoff game.

This is where I was before the season and still where I'm at. But even if we somehow don't win the division and still get a playoff win (or especially two) I'd feel like the Bills were moving in the right direction.

But I feel like the Bills could go all the way if things fall in their favor in the playoffs. I don't think the Bills are the best team in the AFC. but the best teams don't always go to the Superbowl. I have felt like the Saints have been one of the best teams, if not THE best team, in the NFC for a few years now and they can't seem to make it to the Superbowl.

Being the best doesn't always get you there.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/2/2020 at 1:22 PM, Chandler#81 said:

32 teams start off every single season with ONE measure of a ‘successful season’. Win the last game played.

Nothing has changed.

Winning your last game and missing the playoffs is a fail. 

On 12/2/2020 at 1:22 PM, Chandler#81 said:

32 teams start off every single season with ONE measure of a ‘successful season’. Win the last game played.

Nothing has changed.

Watch out for the Jets on week 17.

Please note, I said “THE” last game, not scrub teams winning meaningless finales while running to the bus.

🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Winning your last game and missing the playoffs is a fail. 

2 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Watch out for the Jets on week 17.

If I am entertained, I would consider it a successful season for me. As long as the team is improving and staying competitive I will probably be entertained. 

I'm not all about SB or bust even though I do agree that is the goal of every organization. I don't feel like the team isn't good enough to get a SB ring, but I do feel like there is a good chance they might fall a bit short in the end. 

On 12/2/2020 at 1:17 PM, FUTURIST said:

Our December consists of a home game against the likely 12-0 Steelers and 3 road games against 3 teams that currently have losing records.  All 3 road games are tougher than they look on paper.  We close out with a Dolphins team that will likely be playing for a wild card or even the division.

What is your definition of a successful season?

For me it is a division win and a playoff win.  Anything less is a Failure.  Anything more is a welcome surprise.  

Success = one playoff victory.

Nothing less.

Could be more than one victory; can't be less than one.