Something that I worry about...would we see a Wentz like regression in Allen if Daboll leaves?

Big Turk

On 12/2/2020 at 11:22 AM, SCBills said:

I doubt it.  Allen has way more ability than Wentz, and seems much more driven.  

Although, if we lose Daboll, replace him with trash and then dismantle our OL, while providing PS skill position talent... then yes, it could be a problem.  ...but even then, we've seen Allen on a talent-less Offense as a rookie - It wasn't pretty, but he was still dangerous.  I don't see him ever becoming Wentz.

If we lose Daboll, Ken Dorsey is a shoe-in to take over and the transition will seamless.

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

`

If I had to guess by watching last game, they run a lot of "give up" 3rd and long plays where they might get 10 or 12 yards but when its 3rd and 20, that doesn't mean much. But it saves Wentz from being teed off on or turning the ball over.

They do but Miles Sanders is really good. They should give him the ball more IMO. I'd absolutely love him on the Bills. I'd send them both our backs in exchange for Sanders.

Just now, matter2003 said:

`

If I had to guess by watching last game, they run a lot of "give up" 3rd and long plays where they might get 10 or 12 yards but when its 3rd and 20, that doesn't mean much. But it saves Wentz from being teed off on or turning the ball over.

Our backs are averaging 1.7 yards before contact, Sanders and scott are closer to 3.  

Looking at the splits - they do run a bit in those situations... but 7 times all season isn't what I would consider a trend.  Honestly though, they're a pretty good running team all across splits.  Their first down passing splits are atrocious - 17 sacks in 170 drop backs, with 7 INTs. And 3rd down he's getting sacked at like a 17% clip across all 3rd down distances. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2020_splits.htm

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They do but Miles Sanders is really good. They should give him the ball more IMO. I'd absolutely love him on the Bills. I'd send them both our backs in exchange for Sanders.

Haha, I know, he is on my fantasy team and is reliable for 20 points most games.

23 hours ago, BillsVet said:

What if Pegula's money is really just wrapped up in a secret Madoff ponzi scheme we don't know about?

lol the Bills as a franchise may have been a joke for a long time but they don't quite approach the Wilpons' Mets.

• Haha (+1) 1

There is no comparison.  The Eagle are an aging team, with serious cap issues.  Wentz unfortunately, has tried too hard to save the franchise, but has been beaten up along the way.  We have a franchise QB, and a team built over four years for long term success.  I’m not up for another we suck thread, as is dumb.  Maybe after the year, we can shape the conversation on the team and what needs to be done.

for now, I’m in.

Odd, when just John Brown is out and a linemen or two miss a game Allen's produciton drops. Do we blame Daboll or Allen for that? Philly is decimated with injuries and their WR group is bottom 10 in the league. Good TEs but still some injuries there too. 

Reich gets way to much credit on this board for being a player and has a long way to go to prove he is a successful HC. 

25 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Odd, when just John Brown is out and a linemen or two miss a game Allen's produciton drops. Do we blame Daboll or Allen for that? Philly is decimated with injuries and their WR group is bottom 10 in the league. Good TEs but still some injuries there too. 

Reich gets way to much credit on this board for being a player and has a long way to go to prove he is a successful HC. 

The Eagles still have a pulse without Wentz...Bills turn into the Jets without Allen no comparison 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I thought he played fine last week without brown.  Week 4 he was definitely affected... when the guy running browns route dropped a first down and gave it to the other team.  

Lines been shuffling all year and he's having by far his best season of his career.

On 12/2/2020 at 11:20 AM, matter2003 said:

Watching Wentz looking absolutely clueless this year and badly regressing makes me really wonder...how much was Reich responsible for his successes? It seems like he started downhill once Reich left and this year he has hit rock bottom...he may no longer be a starting caliber QB in this league.

And that is what I worry about with Allen a little bit...Daboll has been instrumental to his success and maturation into a star for us...how much would Allen regress(if at all) if Daboll leaves for a HC coaching job this offseason.  There are expected to be a lot of opening, more so than any other year in recent memory perhaps, and Daboll has been a hot name for a year or two now.

I don't know that it's linked to Daboll, per se, but sure, a regression is possible.

I was watching Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore last night, and noting how freaking horrible RG III is now.

Remember when he was the Patrick Mahomes of his day?  Remember when he walked on water, and people talked of the 10 year run Washington would enjoy under his Quarterbacking?  Times can change with a QB.

Goff is another.  Is he good or bad?  His up and down and up again.

We still don't know what Josh Allen is.  He is inconsistent game to game and quarter to quarter.

Part of an uphill learning curve that he'll overcome?  Just who he is?

Time will tell.

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't know that it's linked to Daboll, per se, but sure, a regression is possible.

I was watching Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore last night, and noting how freaking horrible RG III is now.

Remember when he was the Patrick Mahomes of his day?  Remember when he walked on water, and people talked of the 10 year run Washington would enjoy under his Quarterbacking?  Times can change with a QB.

Goff is another.  Is he good or bad?  His up and down and up again.

We still don't know what Josh Allen is.  He is inconsistent game to game and quarter to quarter.

Part of an uphill learning curve that he'll overcome?  Just who he is?

Time will tell.

Goff is good but he goes as the system goes. Definition of a system QB and the McVay system is perfect for him. But you know what the McVay system is when you strip it back ignore all the eye candy and the bells and whistles? It is the Shanahan stretch zone. The LA Rams are 7-2 against everyone else and 0-2 against San Fran. Why? Because Kyle Shanahan grew up with that offense and nobody knows how to slow it down like him. Goff is a somewhere between the 9th and 15th best Quarterback in the league but I would really fear for him in other systems. When the scheme works Goff is good. When the scheme fails not sure he is talented enough to overcome.

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The Eagles still have a pulse without Wentz...Bills turn into the Jets without Allen no comparison 

I think that is an indictment of Barkley not Wentz

51 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I thought he played fine last week without brown.  Week 4 he was definitely affected... when the guy running browns route dropped a first down and gave it to the other team.  

Lines been shuffling all year and he's having by far his best season of his career.

He played well without Brown but the numbers are lower without him. 

My only point is that Wentz's production needs to be taken into context of the players around him

That said, truly great QBs like Wilson, Brady, Rodgers elevate the guys around them. I think Allen does to some degree as well and he may even be on the same level as those three now or very soon

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Which would leave out .....how many of the current league OC crop?

It's very strange to me that coaches who believe they should fit their offense or defense to the best skills of their best players seem more rare than the kind who run a specific scheme and demand that their players fit in or GTFO.  Arians and Brady are probably the current best example.

That is why I liked Chan Gailey.  He took a cerebral gunslinger (seems contradiction) QB, a WR who did not run precise routes but was able to be at certain points on routes if you do all the calculations he does instinctively in your head and a scat back RB whose best running was behind DL and made them effective.  There was not enough talent on team to do enough to make them playoff teams but enough to frustrate some players and teams badly.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:22 AM, SCBills said:

I doubt it.  Allen has way more ability than Wentz, and seems much more driven.  

Although, if we lose Daboll, replace him with trash and then dismantle our OL, while providing PS skill position talent... then yes, it could be a problem.  ...but even then, we've seen Allen on a talent-less Offense as a rookie - It wasn't pretty, but he was still dangerous.  I don't see him ever becoming Wentz.

no one ever sees these good 2nd-3rd year qbs becoming “meh” vets. But they end up with depleted coaching staffs and diminished rosters and teams quickly learn whether they can carry the load or if they were being carried 

I like his odds but it wouldn’t be unheard of to see bad habits drift back in when the situation is less optimal 

On 12/2/2020 at 11:20 AM, matter2003 said:

Watching Wentz looking absolutely clueless this year and badly regressing makes me really wonder...how much was Reich responsible for his successes? It seems like he started downhill once Reich left and this year he has hit rock bottom...he may no longer be a starting caliber QB in this league.

And that is what I worry about with Allen a little bit...Daboll has been instrumental to his success and maturation into a star for us...how much would Allen regress(if at all) if Daboll leaves for a HC coaching job this offseason.  There are expected to be a lot of opening, more so than any other year in recent memory perhaps, and Daboll has been a hot name for a year or two now.

Based on what I have seen with this current management structure, I say with relative certainty, McDermont and  Bean have a plan in place if Daboll leaves, plus a plan if Dan Morgan or Joe Scheon are hired by someone as GM's.  These guys seem far too organized to be taken back by something that seems so predictable. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Ken Dorsey should definitely be in the running if Daboll leaves but don't see that he has had any play calling experience (I looked at his Wikipedia page).  He has been a QB coach twice, here and with Cam Newton in Carolina.  There are probably going to be 6-8 head coaching changes this year and that means a lot of experienced candidates with OC and HC experience out there looking for a paycheck soon.  There might be someone who would be a good OC for us who was just stuck in a bad situation.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think Ken Dorsey should definitely be in the running if Daboll leaves but don't see that he has had any play calling experience (I looked at his Wikipedia page).  He has been a QB coach twice, here and with Cam Newton in Carolina.  There are probably going to be 6-8 head coaching changes this year and that means a lot of experienced candidates with OC and HC experience out there looking for a paycheck soon.  There might be someone who would be a good OC for us who was just stuck in a bad situation.

He has very little experience to become a OC.  He does not even have college coaching experience.

He was not even known on given starting QBs advice like Frank Reich and Alex Van Pelt were; Kelly said in 1994 he wasn't even smartest QB on roster with him getting advice from both of them.

The Steelers developed several OCs by rotating them thru multiple offense positions and he has done next to nothing outside QB position.

OCs need to watch film of upcoming opponents, develop game plans and do evaluations of players for front office.

IMO he is not ready to step up as OC for a HC with a defensive background.