Something that I worry about...would we see a Wentz like regression in Allen if Daboll leaves?

Big Turk

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I don't believe so. Josh is the type of guy who works harder to get better and build upon what he is already doing right. For as much as Daboll has helped Josh, Josh's work ethic has helped him the most. I also believe that if Daboll leaves we will fill the position in house with Ken Dorsey, who has been here for the last two years.  

Other possibilities are guys that McD knows well like Mike Shula, Pederson (if fired), Matt Nagy (if fired), Mike Kafka, Chudzinski, etc. It’ll be someone with an Andy Reid or Carolina connection. Dorsey is the obvious choice, but if Pederson is available and willing to take that position I’m not sure McD passes up on that opportunity. 

5 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

this is probably wishful thinking. head coaching opps might be once in a lifetime. you are only one terrible season away from no longer being considered a shining candidate. Maybe he doesn't leave for a sh!t job like the Jets or Detroit, but he will leave if given the chance at a promising opportunity. 

i think

Wishful thinking for sure. That said, it might mean that he’d pass on HC jobs with dysfunctional franchises like the Jets. No way he passes up a gig like the Eagles or Falcons though who have stable owners.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Isn't Wentz the most sacked QB in the league? Maybe he is party of the problem, but he certainly isn't the biggest problem.

Wilson, Rodgers and Roethlesberger have been the most sacked QBs in the NFL also at various points...Wilson was last year actually...they didn't regress like Wentz

Edited by matter2003

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Watching Wentz looking absolutely clueless this year and badly regressing makes me really wonder...how much was Reich responsible for his successes? It seems like he started downhill once Reich left and this year he has hit rock bottom...he may no longer be a starting caliber QB in this league.

And that is what I worry about with Allen a little bit...Daboll has been instrumental to his success and maturation into a star for us...how much would Allen regress(if at all) if Daboll leaves for a HC coaching job this offseason.  There are expected to be a lot of opening, more so than any other year in recent memory perhaps, and Daboll has been a hot name for a year or two now.

My friend.. I tell you this.. This very question will determine if McD is a legit long term coach in Buffalo.. Can he fill the cupboards with an elite offensive staff when Daboll leaves? Or will he hire another Dennison?

I think Daboll has done an amazing job with Allen and has been far better than I could have imagined. That said, I  think he would be a terrible hire as a head coach. 

that said, Allen has been 3 years in the same system which is very rare in the nfl. You just have to trust that he isn’t a coach dependent qb.  Also, Wentz got overrated but I think philly’s problem is more of a lack of talent around him. We have far superior offensive talent than they do besides at TE.

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Watching Wentz looking absolutely clueless this year and badly regressing makes me really wonder...how much was Reich responsible for his successes? It seems like he started downhill once Reich left and this year he has hit rock bottom...he may no longer be a starting caliber QB in this league.

And that is what I worry about with Allen a little bit...Daboll has been instrumental to his success and maturation into a star for us...how much would Allen regress(if at all) if Daboll leaves for a HC coaching job this offseason.  There are expected to be a lot of opening, more so than any other year in recent memory perhaps, and Daboll has been a hot name for a year or two now.

Yes, I think it's very possible Allen falls apart if Daboll leaves this year. I think it likely he comes out cold next season no matter who replaces Daboll.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Wilson, Rodgers and Roethlesberger have been the most sacked QBs in the NFL also at various points...Wilson was last year actually...they didn't regress like Wentz

How dare you put thought and rationale into an obvious doom and gloom topic!! 

A sampling of different sources where Ken Dorsey's name is always mentioned in the same breath as Daboll when discussing reasons for Allen's continued development/improvement--it seems we have sufficient support in place (together with what we assume would be a decent replacement hire for OC in the event Dabs departs):

https://arizonasports.com/story/2448911/as-bills-game-showcases-new-nfl-cardinals-defense-hopes-to-rebound/?show=comments

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-josh-allen-keeps-getting-better-with-best-bills-throw-yet/article_5fc34246-fc48-11ea-af5c-7b31e44dad80.html

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/10/19/21522303/josh-allen-time-to-believe-buffalo-bills-afc-east-nfl-2020

Not sure if Wentz has had similar QB coach continuity or not during his regression outside of Reich leaving?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billybrew1 said:

Yes, I think it's very possible Allen falls apart if Daboll leaves this year. I think it likely he comes out cold next season no matter who replaces Daboll.

What are you basing this on? Your gut? There is absolutely no reason to believe Allen’s trajectory won’t continue to improve. It’s great that he’s had the same OC/QB coach for his development but after 3 years he’s not going to just fall apart because there’s a new coach. Franchise guys are franchise guys and we have no reason to believe Allen can’t excel in a different offense. 

Absolutely not. Nothing to worry about here.

Carson Wentz = Penniless, Homeless Man's Josh Allen.

Even back in 2017/2018/2019....when the media was on the Wentz bandwagon....I always thought Wentz was fraudulent and overrated. It's about time he got exposed for what he is - one of the worst starting QBs in the league.

Wentz has bad mechanics.  He is a chronic under thrower. Lastly Wentz makes really bad reads.  Allen and his off season work outs have improved his game.  Wentz needs to go to QB school in the off season.

• Like (+1) 1

I actually had the same thought a week or so ago.

I think its a.legit concern, and if the Bills were to lose Daboll this offseason I think the Bills would be smart to delay any extension for Allen until after next season (which might not sit well with Allen and his agent)

3 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Wentz has bad mechanics.  He is a chronic under thrower. Lastly Wentz makes really bad reads.  Allen and his off season work outs have improved his game.  Wentz needs to go to QB school in the off season.

Agree. He always made questionable decisions IMO but his mechanics show definite and pretty obvious regression. And so now he is making those bad reads and throwing off base... recipe for disaster. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. He always made questionable decisions IMO but his mechanics show definite and pretty obvious regression. And so now he is making those bad reads and throwing off base... recipe for disaster. 

I watched his last game and it was painful.  Not stepping into his throws.  Ouch!

2 minutes ago, Estro said:

I actually had the same thought a week or so ago.

I think its a.legit concern, and if the Bills were to lose Daboll this offseason I think the Bills would be smart to delay any extension for Allen until after next season (which might not sit well with Allen and his agent)

You're nuts if you think that losing Daboll would negatively affect Josh in any way. It absolutely would not. Josh Allen does not need Brian Daboll, but Brian Daboll certainly needs Josh Allen.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Other possibilities are guys that McD knows well like Mike Shula, Pederson (if fired), Matt Nagy (if fired), Mike Kafka, Chudzinski, etc. It’ll be someone with an Andy Reid or Carolina connection. Dorsey is the obvious choice, but if Pederson is available and willing to take that position I’m not sure McD passes up on that opportunity. 

Wishful thinking for sure. That said, it might mean that he’d pass on HC jobs with dysfunctional franchises like the Jets. No way he passes up a gig like the Eagles or Falcons though who have stable owners.

Waitaminnut here, we're talking about how badly Wentz is regressed with Pederson as both coach and OC, and you feel McDermott should "not resist" an opportunity to bring him here?  RESIST!  RESIST!

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

You're nuts if you think that losing Daboll would negatively affect Josh in any way. It absolutely would not. Josh Allen does not need Brian Daboll, but Brian Daboll certainly needs Josh Allen.

OK, I'm nuts.  I think they need each other right now.  Daboll has been huge for Josh's development IMO.  It's not to say that other OCs couldn't work as well or better, but the reverse is also true.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

I somewhat agree and disagree. I do think the continunity that Josh and Brian have had is paramount to the Bills and Allen's success.

The one thing is, it is inevitable that Daboll will become a HC somewhere. Remember WHO hired Daboll, McBene. We have to trust that they would be able to find a great replacement and the Pegulas give them the tool$ to attract the bright offensive mind that we need.

I dont think Wentz was ever that great to begin with. Foles won them the SB. I wonder if its all the injuries leading to some shell shock. I think McBeane will keep him on the right path in terms of coaching. As long as JA wants to be great and continues working on it he will be just fine.