Something that I worry about...would we see a Wentz like regression in Allen if Daboll leaves?

Big Turk

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Watching Wentz looking absolutely clueless this year and badly regressing makes me really wonder...how much was Reich responsible for his successes? It seems like he started downhill once Reich left and this year he has hit rock bottom...he may no longer be a starting caliber QB in this league.

And that is what I worry about with Allen a little bit...Daboll has been instrumental to his success and maturation into a star for us...how much would Allen regress(if at all) if Daboll leaves for a HC coaching job this offseason.  There are expected to be a lot of opening, more so than any other year in recent memory perhaps, and Daboll has been a hot name for a year or two now.

There’s a lot of parallels between Wentz and Allen, but I’m not so sure I’d worry about this.  First off Wentz not only lost Reich but his QB Joe DiFiliipo who many said was instrumental in his development.  

If Daboll does leave for a HC position, I would bet anything that Ken Dorsey becomes OC.  So it’s not like they’ll bring in Adam Gase as OC with a completely different system.

Also part of Wentz this year has been the poor roster put around him.  He might have the worst skill players.  Of course, his contract likely affected some of the roster moves they could’ve made

19 minutes ago, dneveu said:

My thoughts - he wasn't this bad in 2018, or 2019 and reich was already gone.  The team has been missing the following players:

Alshon Jeffery

Zach Ertz - Their best player

Andre Dillard

Brandon Brooks

Tie that up with Peters missing time, sanders missing time, goodwin opted out and jackson hit IR.  Lane Johnsons on IR now, and has been banged up.  

They have had no WRs all year that can just, get open.  Reagor's been banged up, but he's also a rookie whos biggest asset is speed.  Fulgham was nice for fantasy but his playing time was a function of the 4 guys on the depth chart ahead of him being hurt or opting  out

Fulgham looked substantially better that Jeffrey has since his return. Not getting him on the field more is perplexing to me. 

53 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You might see this if Josh rips up his knee and then loses all his offensive weapons and any semblance of a professional offensive

line. 
I think Wentz has a second act. Just not in Philly. 

Reich is going to need somebody to replace Rivers sooner than later... a reunion in Indianapolis perhaps?

22 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Fulgham looked substantially better that Jeffrey has since his return. Not getting him on the field more is perplexing to me. 

He's not physical enough at the point of attack/against press man, and can't create separation consistently.  Injuries on the oline are likely one culprit, but receivers not getting open is another reason his sack rate is at almost 10%.

58 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

To reiterate, Wentz actually played well last season, two years removed from Reich. The Eagles offense did reasonably well too despite real talent problems at the skill positions (12th in points, 14th in yards). 

See I think there were signs of regression last year. And then suddenly when the playoffs were on the line he played great at the end of the year with a cast of nobodies but it all felt a bit desperate and I think he was making plays despite everything through his natural talent. I think his fundamentals are absolutely shot. I would be surprised if he ever looks like the QB he was in 2017 and 2018 again frankly.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

There’s a lot of parallels between Wentz and Allen, but I’m not so sure I’d worry about this.  First off Wentz not only lost Reich but his QB Joe DiFiliipo who many said was instrumental in his development.  

If Daboll does leave for a HC position, I would bet anything that Ken Dorsey becomes OC.  So it’s not like they’ll bring in Adam Gase as OC with a completely different system.

Also part of Wentz this year has been the poor roster put around him.  He might have the worst skill players.  Of course, his contract likely affected some of the roster moves they could’ve made

I gotta admit I almost threw up when I read that one......please god no Gase, for the love of god please no.

I don't believe so. Josh is the type of guy who works harder to get better and build upon what he is already doing right. For as much as Daboll has helped Josh, Josh's work ethic has helped him the most. I also believe that if Daboll leaves we will fill the position in house with Ken Dorsey, who has been here for the last two years.  

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

See I think there were signs of regression last year. And then suddenly when the playoffs were on the line he played great at the end of the year with a cast of nobodies but it all felt a bit desperate and I think he was making plays despite everything through his natural talent. I think his fundamentals are absolutely shot. I would be surprised if he ever looks like the QB he was in 2017 and 2018 again frankly.

My sister who is a HUGE Eagles fan agrees with this 1000%.  I am not so sure but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We'll see. I'd like to see him play with a decent cast around him again. 

1 hour ago, The BLUES Brothers said:

Speaking of the Eagles -  did you see what they did to this guy?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/01/someone-bet-500000-on-the-seahawks-giving-6-5/

$500K bet Loss on the late TD and 2 point conversion...YIKES! Hard to get happy after that one....

If you bet $500K then you stand to lose $500k.

• Like (+1) 1

The angst over trivial matters just gets ratcheted up a notch every time I visit the board.  

What if alien's abducted McD?  Would Frazier be able to fill in?  

What if Pegula's money is really just wrapped up in a secret Madoff ponzi scheme we don't know about?

What if the Bills are late to the NFL Draft and lose all their draft picks as punishment?  

Stop worrying and enjoy the season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Irish Dave said:

Daboll may never leave; remember - he grew up in Buffalo and is a life long Bills fan.  He went to St. Francis.  This is his dream job.  I'm not sure if he has kids - but I would bet/hope that if he does, he won't want to go anywhere else....

this is probably wishful thinking. head coaching opps might be once in a lifetime. you are only one terrible season away from no longer being considered a shining candidate. Maybe he doesn't leave for a sh!t job like the Jets or Detroit, but he will leave if given the chance at a promising opportunity. 

i think

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with this...it was kind of unsustainable some of the things he did at the end of last year...more like "however I have to get it done" type of stuff...almost like Allen in his rookie year.

1 minute ago, Man with No Name said:

this is probably wishful thinking. head coaching opps might be once in a lifetime. you are only one terrible season away from no longer being considered a shining candidate. Maybe he doesn't leave for a sh!t job like the Jets or Detroit, but he will leave if given the chance at a promising opportunity. 

i think

I agree...but that doesn't mean he will be a good HC...huge skill set difference between what you need to be a good OC/DC and a head coach...much of it has nothing to do with football.

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

I agree with this...it was kind of unsustainable some of the things he did at the end of last year...more like "however I have to get it done" type of stuff...almost like Allen in his rookie year.

I agree...but that doesn't mean he will be a good HC...huge skill set difference between what you need to be a good OC/DC and a head coach...much of it has nothing to do with football.

im not sold on him as a head coach. im not even certain he's a great o coordinator. but i wouldn't give him up. the devil you know, all.