Jake Kumerow signed to 53

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

I think I told you this might be coming when you asked about protected players.  Sorry not sure where I gloat.

You only get to gloat if someone is promoting the opposite POV.  You can claim points for correct call anywhere.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

I have very few critiques of Daboll, who I happen to think is an excellent play caller 90% of the time.

My one "wish list item" that never seems to come true is called deep shots. For years, we've heard "we're taking what the defense gives us". And while obviously you don't want to force things deep, it seems the Bills are more willing to let defenses dictate to them than some other teams. Opposing defenses play the Chiefs and Seahawks similarly to how they play the Bills -- soft zones, doing everything they can to take away the deep ball -- and yet those teams still take those shots, and they still complete deep passes. I'd like to see the Bills not be SO scared of what a defense is doing that they're unwilling to even TRY to throw it deep.

The rate at which ticky-tack defensive pass interference penalties are called these days is another great reason to dial up regular deep shots to Davis and Diggs.

What if I told you....the Chiefs and the Seahawks have something we lack, which forces defenses to play them differently?

What if I told you....having a run game and a QB who is perfectly willing to pick you apart in the short passing game and over-the-middle to a big TE makes a difference?

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

No one has said it because it's not true. Go look at the height of our receivers and then come back and talk

A suck ass😂😂😂

There was 2 parts to my statement, we lack a big possession wr that can act as a security blanket. Averaging 2 catches per game, I wouldn't call Gabe Davis a security blanket.

Josh has Diggs and Bease to look to when he needs a sure reception. And they are great at getting open and finding space because of their route running and quickness. What I'm saying is I don't see any of our wr's (or TE's) using their size as a mismatch to always be open. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

No one has really said it, but the one thing our wr core seems to be lacking is the bigger possession receiver that can be that security blanket. Bease ends up being that a lot out of the slot, and Kumerow's singing may end up being more for special teams. But I'd love for Josh to have that big target he can look to in the crunch. 

A ‘Pete Metzalars’ is a toy I’ve wanted since Allen was Drafted.

2 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

Gabriel Davis is 6'2" and 210 lbs.  Does that qualify as bigger? 

Gabe has good hands and the ‘feel’ for the game, but definitely lacks ‘Want To’. 

1 hour ago, teef said:

if i had hard like that as a 43 yr old man, people would think i was in a cover band.

We thought you did!

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s a shame. I had high hopes for the kid.

Honestly, not me. We got all amped up for a Canadian Walk On, but hes’ simply been disappointing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

A ‘Pete Metzalars’ is a toy I’ve wanted since Allen was Drafted.

Exactly, the only thing I think might help Josh more is a home run hitter at RB with the speed to take it to the house, who can run routes like a wr and have 50+ receptions per year. (There will be one available in the late 1st round this draft.) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What if I told you....the Chiefs and the Seahawks have something we lack, which forces defenses to play them differently?

What if I told you....having a run game and a QB who is perfectly willing to pick you apart in the short passing game and over-the-middle to a big TE makes a difference?

I'll concede that the lack of a true threat at TE differentiates us from, say, the Chiefs, though the Hawks don't have one, either.

As to the rest of the bolded... I don't know that the Chiefs or Seahawks have much better run games than we do. The Seahawks and Chiefs are ranked 12th and 14th at rush yards/game. Certainly better than the Bills, but also not elite. 

Furthermore, Josh is one of the top five rated passers in the NFL in passes traveling between 0-9 yards, so I also don't buy that short passing game success is the thing holding the Bills back from having more success in the deep passing game.

Honestly, with regard to trying deep shots, I think it's a trust/willingness issue. Maybe Daboll or McDermott don't want Josh taking those risks, or maybe Josh is just trying to protect the ball. But there is no reason -- no reason at all -- that the Bills shouldn't attempt a few called deep shots per game. They have two receivers who are adept at winning at the catch point and "Mossing" defensive backs in Davis and Diggs. Diggs may be doubled much of the game, but he's also single covered at times. Davis, on the other hand, is surely not a player that is drawing routine double teams. Either Diggs or Davis on a fly route in single coverage against a 5'11" DB....I want the Bills to take those risks sometimes. Again, not foolishly, and not forcing it, but....sometimes you've just gotta take the shot.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'll concede that the lack of a true threat at TE differentiates us from, say, the Chiefs, though the Hawks don't have one, either.

As to the rest of the bolded... I don't know that the Chiefs or Seahawks have much better run games than we do. The Seahawks and Chiefs are ranked 12th and 14th at rush yards/game. Certainly better than the Bills, but also not elite. 

I'm not going to argue about "elite", but would you concede that having the 7th or 11th run game in YPA (as the Seahawks and Chiefs do) is significantly better than having the 22nd run game in YPA?  And frankly, until halfway through the season (Game 8, vs the Pats) the situation was more polarized than that. 

Bulk stats also don't always tell you the whole story.  Since Garrapolo went out no one is afraid of San Francisco passing, so they are struggling in the run.  The current season average kind of hides the fact that they're "bipolar" - >100 ypg in all but one game (and 93 ypg in that) - close to 200 ypg in 2 games - but since Garrapolo got hurt vs. the Seasnakes they're having trouble cracking 60 ypg.  Before that, their use of the run game set up the pass, just as the Titans does.  Looks like they made some adjustments over the bye week, so we'll see. 

The fact is until probably after this past week (and I'm not sure even then), I don't think teams worried about the Bills mounting a successful rushing attack even "hat on a hat", and it colored how they defended us.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Furthermore, Josh is one of the top five rated passers in the NFL in passes traveling between 0-9 yards, so I also don't buy that short passing game success is the thing holding the Bills back from having more success in the deep passing game.

With respect, I think you're missing the difference between how Josh is rated when he MAKES those throws, and whether he TRIES to make those throws.  Josh can make those 0-9 yd throws with high efficiency when he pulls the trigger. 

The point is that while Mahomes or Wilson will happily nickel you to death all game, Allen is building a reputation as a QB who "gets greedy" and can be baited into mistakes, as he did vs. the Titans 2x, the Cardinals 2x, and the Chargers 1x at a critical game juncture.  In most of those situations, he had an open check-down receiver available and he chose to try a higher-degree-of-difficulty throw into tighter coverage for more yards.  If you look at "Baldy's Breakdowns" on the Eagles and Carson Wentz, it casts a shadow on Josh Allen right now because that's one of the things Carson Wentz is doing - overlooking the open man for 4-8 yds and trying to push the ball down the field.  Especially when the QB only has 1 go-to receiver in those circumstances, teams get the memo: just blanket that guy.  he margin between success and failure on those throws is small.  Josh has got to be willing to throw to Knox or Moss or Singletary and right now he isn't.  So they're blanketing Diggs, doing a good job covering Davis, sometimes blanketing Beasley or roughing him up and hoping to get away with it, and they're gonna keep that up until Josh starts making them pay for it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Logic said:

Honestly, with regard to trying deep shots, I think it's a trust/willingness issue. Maybe Daboll or McDermott don't want Josh taking those risks, or maybe Josh is just trying to protect the ball. But there is no reason -- no reason at all -- that the Bills shouldn't attempt a few called deep shots per game. They have two receivers who are adept at winning at the catch point and "Mossing" defensive backs in Davis and Diggs. Diggs may be doubled much of the game, but he's also single covered at times. Davis, on the other hand, is surely not a player that is drawing routine double teams. Either Diggs or Davis on a fly route in single coverage against a 5'11" DB....I want the Bills to take those risks sometimes. Again, not foolishly, and not forcing it, but....sometimes you've just gotta take the shot.

The Bills are attempting a few called deep shots per game. 

3 this past game (counting the DPI)

6 against the Cardinals (1 TD, 1 pick, 4 incomplete)

6 against the Seasnakes (2 incomplete, 4 complete with 1 TD)

2 against NE (1 complete, 1 incomplete)

3 against the Jets (1 complete, 2 incomplete)

They're not doing as well as they did early in the season, in part because teams are defending them better.  There was a stretch of time  after his injury when those deep shots were missing high, and I think Josh is still working back to his early season form.  It's also A LOT easier to hit those deep shots when teams are forced to cover Brown as well as Diggs and Beasley and sometimes Davis.

Davis isn't drawing double coverage and in fact the safety is usually being "nosey" towards Diggs, but Davis also doesn't have the Burner speed to beat his man clean.

Part of the calculus is whether or not Josh has time.  We just saw the consequence last week of Josh forcing a throw he probably could have completed (single coverage on Diggs with a "nosey" safety) when he's under pressure and doesn't have time to set and throw properly.

PS if you don't know about the nextgen stats charts, they're here.  Search for Allen.  Only have the most recent 4-5 games though.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Motorin' said:

No one has really said it, but the one thing our wr core seems to be lacking is the bigger possession receiver that can be that security blanket. Bease ends up being that a lot out of the slot, and Kumerow's singing may end up being more for special teams. But I'd love for Josh to have that big target he can look to in the crunch. 

I very much doubt he gets more than a handful of reps at WR during games, if that.  The Bills seem to think Gabriel Davis meets the need for a big receiver.  He's not real big, but he is big and athletic, and physically dominating.

5 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Gabe Davis pretty big

By big do you mean extra tall?

Hodgins.......the best red shirt player in the NFL lol

5 hours ago, teef said:

if i had hard like that as a 43 yr old man, people would think i was in a cover band.

Wow I did not know that was required for a cover band.

Do you do a lot of scouting?

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Kumerow is the 'before' and  Lee Smith is the 'after'

sketch1606929094310.png

Surprise Miami did not poach him to play with Fitzpatrick.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Part of the calculus is whether or not Josh has time.  We just saw the consequence last week of Josh forcing a throw he probably could have completed (single coverage on Diggs with a "nosey" safety) when he's under pressure and doesn't have time to set and throw properly.

I think you need differential equations to determine if Josh has time.  It is why Fitz did so well when he was not playing hero ball.