What popular saying is actually bull####?

SDS

52 minutes ago, Special K said:

Ouch.... that stings!!

OK, I’ll try another one:

”I am who I am, it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.”

This is another phrase that while true at its heart, is unfortunately misused by many people to justify their bad behaviors or lousy personalities.

Instead of saying “man I was a real jerk in that situation, I need to be better.”, they think “I am who I am, if they don’t like it, that’s their problem.”

lol kind of like the "If you can't handle me at my worst you don't deserve me at my best."

B word your worst is like Lizzie Borden and your best is wine aunt personality no wonder you're 38 and single.

On 12/3/2020 at 7:28 AM, LeviF91 said:

Another: "a penny saved is a penny earned."  No, a penny saved is a penny saved, and you won't get rich by saving money.

If I recall correctly, when the saying arose long ago, the US had no federal income tax.  These days, the saying is BS, but for a different reason.  Today, a penny saved is worth more than a penny earned, because you have to pay income taxes on the penny earned, but don't have to pay taxes on the penny saved (at least until Congress passes a yearly wealth tax or until you invest the accumulated pennies well enough to become subject to estate taxes upon your death).

Whether the saved pennies ultimately make you rich depends on if and how you choose to invest them.

If you want to know how most (not all) rich people in the US actually got that way, read the most recent edition of "The Millionaire Next Door."

2 hours ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

If I recall correctly, when the saying arose long ago, the US had no federal income tax.  These days, the saying is BS, but for a different reason.  Today, a penny saved is worth more than a penny earned, because you have to pay income taxes on the penny earned, but don't have to pay taxes on the penny saved (at least until Congress passes a yearly wealth tax or until you invest the accumulated pennies well enough to become subject to estate taxes upon your death).

Whether the saved pennies ultimately make you rich depends on if and how you choose to invest them.

If you want to know how most (not all) rich people in the US actually got that way, read the most recent edition of "The Millionaire Next Door."

Doesn't it cost more than a penny to mint a penny?  So yes,  you're getting a good deal if that penny is in deed pure copper.

And to counter @LeviF91... Don't savings accounts still yield interest? Albeit very small,  so that penny is earning. Better than spending it.

Now... Factor in compounding interest.   My nest egg pennies are totally earning and worth it!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.