What popular saying is actually bull####?

SDS

52 minutes ago, SDS said:

Why do you think this is false?

"Fake it till you make it" (or "Fake it until you make it") is an English aphorism which suggests that by imitating confidence, competence, and an optimistic mindset, a person can realize those qualities in their real life.

To me, people who use this concept are saying "I don't have to learn anything or apply myself or work hard, I'll just act like I know what I'm doing to fool everyone into thinking I'm competent."

I would respect someone more if they said to me at my job "I don't know everything, but I'm willing to learn and work hard to get there.",  then someone who tells me "I know what I'm doing, I've got this.", then proceeds to show me that they do not "got this".

I'm glad I am not someone who is in charge of hiring people....I don't know how they weed their way through all the BS in job interviews to hire the people who actually have competence, instead of those who "fake it 'til they make it!"

Edited by Special K

9 minutes ago, Special K said:

"Fake it till you make it" (or "Fake it until you make it") is an English aphorism which suggests that by imitating confidence, competence, and an optimistic mindset, a person can realize those qualities in their real life.

To me, people who use this concept are saying "I don't have to learn anything or apply myself or work hard, I'll just act like I know what I'm doing to fool everyone into thinking I'm competent."

I would respect someone more if they said to me at my job "I don't know everything, but I'm willing to learn and work hard to get there.",  then someone who tells me "I know what I'm doing, I've got this.", then proceeds to show me that they do not "got this".

I'm glad I am not someone who is in charge of hiring people....I don't know how they weed their way through all the BS in job interviews to hire the people who actually have competence, instead of those who "fake it 'til the make it!"

I think you’re missing the make it part of the phrase. It isn’t fake it and do nothing. It’s fake it and then work hard to grow into the position.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

I think you’re missing the make it part of the phrase. It isn’t fake it and do nothing. It’s fake it and then work hard to grow into the position.

It’s a common phrase in the addiction world, and you are correct. LOOK good until you ARE good.

There’s a LOT of work and growth in between. 

20 minutes ago, SDS said:

I can see the positive uses of the phrase, but unfortunately, many people, especially young people, don't see the "hard work" part, they just see it as a shortcut to getting what they want.

Its just my opinion, I didn't mean to upset anyone, I just think the wording of the phrase can lead to misuse.

Edited by Special K
  • Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Special K said:

I can see the positive uses of the phrase, but unfortunately, many people, especially young people, don't see the "hard work" part, they just see it as a shortcut to getting what they want.

Its just my opinion, I didn't mean to upset anyone, I just think the wording of the phrase can lead to misuse.

Exactly.   People TODAY tend to use it not to get a foot in the door, then work hard, but to get to easy street (make it), then rest on their ill gotten laurels.

11 hours ago, Special K said:

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Exactly.   People TODAY tend to use it not to get a foot in the door, then work hard, but to get to easy street (make it), then rest on their ill gotten laurels.

Kids these days... Right fellas? 🙄 😜

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SDS said:

Yeah I have a friend who was very intelligent and hard working but hated school and just wasn't going to go to college.   He was stuck in jobs he hated and constantly complaining that he was better than the "educated" people he was beneath.   So I told him to just tell interviewers that he had a degree.   Problem solved.  He has been an asset everywhere he has been and he even forgave me for prank calling him on a voice changer saying someone had ran up $700 on his Sears credit card.  

Of course then you have the Jeffery Epsteins who faked school credentials so they ultimately could eventually get creepy massages and entertain others who faked it til they made it.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Kids these days... Right fellas? 🙄 😜

Ouch.... that stings!!

OK, I’ll try another one:

”I am who I am, it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.”

This is another phrase that while true at its heart, is unfortunately misused by many people to justify their bad behaviors or lousy personalities.

Instead of saying “man I was a real jerk in that situation, I need to be better.”, they think “I am who I am, if they don’t like it, that’s their problem.”

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.