What popular saying is actually bull####?

SDS

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't like "it is what it is." Imo it seems to over simplify life, which as we all know can be very complicated. It has also become very trite.

Actually, I agree with this lol.

Honestly it feels like that phrase just gets a lot of back lash for it usually being used for a bad situation. To me it's basically a phrase about sometimes life is unfair/sucks and you can either be stuck on it or find a way to move on.

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

“There’s nothing to it but to do it.”  My Father used to say this to me all the time.  Pissed me off to no end.  Some things are really hard to do 😂

Misread this one as "There's nothing to do but to do it." which always made sense to me to be about procrastination.

"Ignorance is bliss." It may be bliss for the ignorant but for the rest of us, it's pretty damn annoying.

In reality, it's not bliss for anyone. Most of the ignorant people I know are constantly angry, and usually they're angry with the wrong people.

44 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"Opposites attract"

Maybe in magnets and lust, but try being married to your opposite and deal with that everyday. No thanks.

Story of my (married) life, brotha.  My wife is total type A....if she’s not doing something or preparing to do something she gets anxious.  I’m, well, pretty laid back 😂

It has its advantages and disadvantages.  With regard to our marriage....our differences often present challenges.

• Like (+1) 2

“It is what it is” or my preferred “it’s gonna be what it’s gonna be” isn’t bulls— when I use it to describe construction or DIY work. It’s the acceptance that things rarely come out absolutely PERFECT. You do the best with what you’ve got and you live with it.

Mine is:

“Time heals all wounds.”

Maybe for people with sh— for memory.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

“I could care less.”

If you don’t get me, think about it. It’s so common, but it means you DO care, because you could care LESS. 

I COULDN”T care less is what I think you are looking for. 

I’ll also throw in “no disrespect, but.....” We all know what’s generally coming next, right? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

“I could care less.”

If you don’t get me, think about it. It’s so common, but it means you DO care, because you could care LESS. 

I COULDN”T care less is what I think you are looking for. 

I’ll also throw in “no disrespect, but.....” We all know what’s generally coming next, right? 

I was thinking of something different than grammatical errors. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

I was thinking of something different than grammatical errors. 

I get that, but it is probably more common than the proper phrase, working it’s way into our national lexicon. It feels like more than a grammatical error because it’s so commonly used and has taken on a life of it’s own. 

Edited by Augie

44 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yeah, that's like "I'm not a racist, but..."

You KNOW the next thing they say will be racist.

And if I ever preface a statement with the phrase "With all due respect," the implication is that the amount due is zero. It's my equivalent of a southerner saying, "Well, bless your heart."

1 hour ago, Muppy said:

The customer is always right.                                 

Blondes gave more fun

The customer is NOT always right. Back in my banking days I would kick some A-holes out of the bank. They would be abusive and treat the staffs like punching bags. I’d take them up to the teller line, total up all their accounts, waive penalties for closing CD’s early and hand them a check while asking politely that they never return. 

I could have gotten in trouble for taking away a guaranteed CD rate or something, but it would have easily been fixed if it got ugly. I shocked some serious jerks, and had extremely loyal staffs who appreciated someone sticking up for them as a result. The looks on the client’s faces are still a source of pleasure to me. They thought they owned the right to bully people. Treat people like trash and you deserve what you get. 

Some of these people had hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank and thought they were big stuff. Guess what....I had people with millions in the bank and would not allow that treatment of the staff from ANYONE. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.