Black Monday is coming (UPDATE: is here!).....

GunnerBill

On 12/2/2020 at 8:59 AM, GunnerBill said:

About this time of year I like to look at where we stand on the coaching carousel. It has spun a few times already this season with three teams clearing house before week 13..... and the Jaguars taking the first step to what appears to be a total house cleaning there too. It will be a few years since we have had four teams that are starting over at both HC and GM spots with hard resets. So here is a reminder on where we are and a look at where we might be.....

Already out:

Houston Texans - Fired HC/GM Bill O'Brien - Ownership on record as wanting to hire a GM first and then begin a coaching search

Detroit Lions - Fired HC Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn

Atlanta Falcons Fire HC Dann Quin and GM Thomas Dimitroff

Jacksonville Jaguars - Fired GM Dave Caldwell

On the brink:

Jacksonville Jaguars - HC Doug Marrone

New York Jets - HC Adam Gase

In trouble:

Dallas Cowboys - HC Mike McCarthy

Philadelphia Eagles - HC Doug Pederson

Chicago Bears - HC Matt Nagy and GM Ryan Pace

Los Angeles Chargers - HC Anthony Lynn

The don't be shocked if:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - HC Bruce Arians

Minnesota Vikings - HC Mike Zimmer

I think the five Head Coaching jobs we know are going to be open will likely be joined by at least one maybe two from the in trouble list. I think Doug Pederson is in real trouble because of the regression in Carson Wentz and his inability to fix him. The Eagles next three games are Green Bay, New Orleans and Arizona, before they finish against Dallas and Washington. A 3 or 4 win season might be enough to see him fired and based on what he said yesterday Mr Lurie is already pretty ticked off. Nagy is another from the Andy Reid tree who was hand picked to develop a QB and after an initial bump has seen a regression. Now we all know that is because Trubisky just isn't very good.... but it has looked worse at times with Foles in there. If the Bears are going back to the QB well this draft is Nagy the guy they trust to develop another rookie? GM Ryan Pace is in even more trouble. He has now hired two Head Coaches that have failed and his draft picks do not make good reading for the most part. A FIFTH total house clean of the year is possible in Chi town. I suspect Mike McCarthy survives (they will make the lost his QB excuse) and Anthony Lynn might because of Herbert's development..... but I think he might not survive his awful gameday coaching.

Zimmer or Arians would have to see their seasons collapse from this point which feels unlikely, though not impossible. The added sauce with Arians is the relationship with Brady. We know Tom will not be shy in politicking behind the scenes with GM Jason Licht (formerly of, you guessed it, New England) and ownership if he decides he wants to play in 2021 and wants to play for a different coach.

So finally..... who are the hot candidates? I'm going to leave the college guys as I've seen lots of names banded about - Brian Kelly, Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day etc but I think this would be a strange year for a coach to leave college for the NFL with all the uncertainties around what the next offseason programme will look like and where the virus will be. There are also no obvious out of work former Head Coaches who could be considered hot candidates and so that really leaves teams looking to recruit from the existing ranks of NFL Assistant Coaches. Some of the names to watch:

Guys who would be first time Head Coaches:

Eric Bieniemy - Offensive Coordinator - Kansas City Chiefs - The case for Bieniemy is clear - he is the offensive coordinator of the league's most potent offense in a league in which scoring heavily is becoming ever more vital. The case against him might be that you are going to have to wait in all likelihood until after the Superbowl to hire him (putting you behind on assistant coach hires, and offseason planning) and that the heat may have gone out of the Reid offensive tree given that the previous two occupants of that post - Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy are both on the hotseat.

Brian Schottenheimer - Offensive Coordinator - Seattle Seahwaks - It is 10 years since Marty's boy received Head Coaching interviews and at one point, after an unsuccessful run as the OC in St Louis, Schotty was even out of the NFL and working in college. He has rebuilt his resume nicely since then and on the back of letting Russ cook could get looks. The question for teams to work out is how much credit does he deserve?

Arthur Smith - Offensive Coordinator - Tennessee Titans - Offensive coaches who run a Shanahan variant of the West Coast Offense off of the stretch zone run game have been in demand in recent years. Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay and Matt LeFleur all landed plumb jobs. Smith's offense is probably more vanilla than theirs and would be more recognisable to Shanahan Snr but the consistency he has been able to elicit from Ryan Tannehill is going to attract looks. Given he is a Tennessee lifer the questions might be about his contacts and ability to build a strong staff in support of him as a first time HC.

Brian Daboll - Offensive coordinator - Buffalo Bills - Brian Daboll, like Brian Schottenheimer, is on his second chance as an NFL OC having had OC jobs earlier in his career that didn't pan out and then reverted to being a position coach and college coordinator to rebuild his reputation. His work with Josh Allen is widely respected around the NFL but teams will want to understand if that is simply a perfect storm or whether he really has developed as a coach. Contacts are not a problem here mind you, and his ability to construct a strong staff is likely to appeal. I've already been told that Matt Patricia is a potential defensive coordinator on a Daboll ticket.

Matt Eberflus - Defensive Coordinator - Indianapolis Colts - Eberflus is credited with the remarkable turnaround in the Colts defense over the past couple of years. Originally hired for Josh McDaniels he has formed a strong bond with Frank Reich and has a reputation for being a demanding and process driven coach. He is definitely the lowest profile name on this list though and selling him to a fanbase might be tricky unless the Colts have a statement win in the post-season. He spent time in Dallas where he is apparently admired by the Jones family and if Mike McCoy does end up 1 and done he is a name to keep an eye on for the Cowboys.

Robert Saleh - Defensive Coordinator - San Francisco 49ers - Saleh was the hot name in a headset last year but he ended up without a seat at the table when the music stopped. However, to maintain a top 10 defense through the slew of injuries that the 9ers have suffered this season is no mean feat and he is sure to make interview shortlists again. In his favour from last time around is he is unlikely to be a guy you have to wait until after the Superbowl to hire this time but he also was apparently a "clunky" interview in his first go around the carousel in early 2020.... he will want to sharpen up his presentation to secure a gig for 2021.

Retreads:

Raheem Morris - Interim Head Coach - Atlanta Falcons - Raheem Morris went 17-31 in three full seasons as the Head Coach of Tampa Bay at the start of the decade. But that included a 10-6 season in his second year where he appeared to have a young team on the rise. That it took him 9 years to even get back to landing a coordinator position has always been a bit of a mystery to me but he is 4-2 as the Falcons interim coach and has impressed people in pulling the locker room back together. Did his first shot just come too early in his career or his a better lieutenant than a general?

Dennis Allen - Defensive Coordinator - New Orleans Saints - If you think Morris's Head Coaching record is not impressive for a guy being talked about as possibly due another shot then you might want to look away now. Allen went 8-28 in 2 and a bit dysfunctional seasons with Oakland but he has rebuilt his reputation since becoming the defensive coordinator with the Saints. 5 years ago he inherited the worst defense in football from Rob Ryan. Today it stands as the best defense in football by yards and 5th best by points. And it is flying at the moment. In order for Allen to get looks he is going to need a strong offensive coordinator name on his ticket but if he does there might be a team out there with a mess of a defense who thinks he is worth a shot.

Todd Bowles - Defensive Coordinator - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Another defensive guy who was a below .500 Head Coach the first time around. Bowles strikes me as a guy who is in the perfect spot as a defensive coordinator. However, he has done a good job as the DC in Tampa and with them garnering national attention for obvious reasons and Bowles' flashy, aggressive, blitzing style it is not beyond the realm of possibility that he gets another shot.

Have not gone all the way through the thread but I don't know if you're going to update this or anything or haven't had time to, but Marone is now gone and Lynn. I disagree with a couple or your "in trouble" listings. I don't think the Bears or Cowboys do anything just yet. Think McCarthy gets at least another season and the same with Bears coach.

And I would definitely be shocked if Arians got fired. He has bumped heads with Brady it seems according to some reports but they will work whatever I assume would be minor issues they have. Especially if they go deep in the playoffs. 

Vikings I can see as a in trouble or a possibility, but I don't think that's likely. Think he gets another go at it too. Now Eagles and Pederson and the Eagles, something could happen there with the way he did yesterday. So will be interesting.

19 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Have not gone all the way through the thread but I don't know if you're going to update this or anything or haven't had time to, but Marone is now gone and Lynn. I disagree with a couple or your "in trouble" listings. I don't think the Bears or Cowboys do anything just yet. Think McCarthy gets at least another season and the same with Bears coach.

And I would definitely be shocked if Arians got fired. He has bumped heads with Brady it seems according to some reports but they will work whatever I assume would be minor issues they have. Especially if they go deep in the playoffs. 

Vikings I can see as a in trouble or a possibility, but I don't think that's likely. Think he gets another go at it too. Now Eagles and Pederson and the Eagles, something could happen there with the way he did yesterday. So will be interesting.

Yea have updated today.

BREAKING: Elway to step down as Broncos GM

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

What's so special about the Titans offense that would make anyone want the OC as a HC?

Henry is amazing but he doesn't get to come along. 

Tannehill has been very good too. Henry is the focal point but the offense is pretty solid all the way around.

2 hours ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

Dick Juaron!!

Jason Garrett who is a candidate for the Chargers job .. please oh please hire him. One less suitor for Daboll and Chargers irrelevant for the duration 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/04/chargers-request-permission-to-interview-jason-garrett/

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Realist said:

Chargers let go Anthony Lynn.

This report by Florio says they've requested permission to interview Jason Garrett.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/04/chargers-request-permission-to-interview-jason-garrett/

Check out some of the comments: priceless.

"erickgreynolds says: January 4, 2021 at 9:00 pm

“I felt a disturbance in the force. It was as if an entire fan base screamed, slammed their heads into the nearest wall and started sobbing.”

arealisticpackerfan says: January 4, 2021 at 9:02 pm

Mike McCarthy improved Garrett’s coaching stock.

AndyB says: January 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm

If the idea was to have the Chargers coached in 2021 by an unsuccessful head coach, it begs the question of why did they fire Anthony Lynn in the first place?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This report by Florio says they've requested permission to interview Jason Garrett.

Check out some of the comments: priceless.

"erickgreynolds says: January 4, 2021 at 9:00 pm

“I felt a disturbance in the force. It was as if an entire fan base screamed, slammed their heads into the nearest wall and started sobbing.”

arealisticpackerfan says: January 4, 2021 at 9:02 pm

Mike McCarthy improved Garrett’s coaching stock.

AndyB says: January 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm

If the idea was to have the Chargers coached in 2021 by an unsuccessful head coach, it begs the question of why did they fire Anthony Lynn in the first place?

There is some thought that Garrett was neutered in Dallas by jerruh and is a good HC. I don’t know if that’s true but I think the chargers prefer someone with HC experience. Jim Caldwell is a dark horse there. Still think McDaniels is the favorite.