Black Monday is coming (UPDATE: is here!).....

GunnerBill

12 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

What's so special about the Titans offense that would make anyone want the OC as a HC?

Henry is amazing but he doesn't get to come along. 

3rd in yards and 4th in points. And he runs that Shanahan scheme which is popular at the moment - the stretch zone with heavy play action. 

On 1/4/2021 at 6:10 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

Bye Dougie Maroon!!!  We may hate him, but he got lots of love on GMFB for "being a great guy and a professional".  :sick:

Yeah, I couldn’t relate.  The quote from the Jags owner with Marrone and ‘class’ has me confused.  Someone with ‘class’ doesn’t skip town without telling his Bills players he’s leaving.  Someone with class doesn’t walk around proclaiming himself St Doug.  Someone with class does not get into a shouting match with his GM at practice in front of the media.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Yeah, I couldn’t relate.  The quote from the Jags owner with Marrone and ‘class’ has me confused.  Someone with ‘class’ doesn’t skip town without telling his Bills players he’s leaving.  Someone with class doesn’t walk around proclaiming himself St Doug.  Someone with class does not get into a shouting match with his GM at practice in front of the media.

Are you sure? 

I am almost positive Merriam-Webster updated the definition of class to exactly what you laid out above! 

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

3rd in yards and 4th in points. And he runs that Shanahan scheme which is popular at the moment - the stretch zone with heavy play action. 

Also the guy before him there was LaFleur who is succeeding with the Packers so there's something of a coaching tree here.

So a week on from Black Monday and reading the tea leaves let's play a little game of pin the tail on the Head Coaching vacancy.... 

We will start with the easy one:

Jacksonville Jaguars - I believe, and most people agree, that the Jacksonville Jaguars are going to hire Urban Meyer. He met with the team on Friday. While I understand some of the skepticism about Meyer transitioning to the NFL I think Jacksonville desperately needed someone who was going to exert some control in that organisation and take a programmatic approach to rebuilding it. That was what they hoped Tom Coughlin would bring but it didn't work out. I don't know whether Urban will be a success in the NFL, but he is a hell of a football coach and there will be no doubt from day 1 who is running the show. The Jags need that. 

New York Jets - The story seems to be that the Jets would prefer to hire an offensive coach (which in my opinion suggests their search is off to a bad start.... when will teams learn that leadership is the #1 thing you need to look for?) The word on the street seems to be that Eric Bieniemy is their #1 choice at this stage but that Brian Daboll and Joe Brady remain possibilities. I'd be surprised if they end up hiring a defensive guy. 

Los Angeles Chargers - The Chargers have also focused primarily on offensive coaches, including, interestingly Jason Garrett and there is supposedly a feeling that Mr Spanos would prefer to hire an experienced Head Coach after recent misfires with first time head men in Mike McCarthy and Anthony Lynn. I have also heard a whisper from my informed NFL source that they will be keeping an eye on what happens in Chicago as they have identified Matt Nagy as a candidate should he be let go by the Bears. However, at this stage given the link to the General Manager I feel like this is the most likely landing spot for Brian Daboll if Spanos can be persuaded to go the first time coach route. 

Detroit Lions - Maybe I am being too simplistic with this but I have felt like this is Robert Saleh's job for a long time. The campaign from local fans for the Lions to hire him might put them off in a strange way because they don't want to appear to have bowed to pressure and I think Marvis Lewis and Arthur Smith are the other two to watch. 

Atlanta Falcons - Hardest job to pin down I think. I liked Arthur Smith as a possible fit (bringing a Shanahan style offense that Matt Ryan thrived in to try and load up for one more run with him) but as far as I am aware they have not requested permission to interview him. That leads me to think they might be thinking about a more root and branch rebuild. I wonder if they see hiring Joe Brady as a way both to strengthen their own hand while weakening a divisional rival? He is certainly young enough to commit to a more dramatic tear down and rebuild style plan. 

Houston Texans - This story has longest to run. Nick Caserio is now in situ as GM and has not sat in on the interviews they have already conducted. Interestingly those include two former Head Coaches known for being stable and consistent personalities in Jim Caldwell and Marvin Lewis. Neither would inspire the fans, or maybe their franchise Quarterback (?), but if ownership was exhausted by the Bill O'Brien dysfunction it is possible they got that route. I am going to go left field though and suggest maybe Rams DC Brandon Staley, who they haven't yet requested permission to interview as far as I am aware, could be a late entrant to this race. If they want a young guy up and coming coach with leadership qualities he might be the guy. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Looks like St. Doug found himself a new job.

Saban, Bill O’Brien and Marrone on the same staff.

Because Marrone isn't qualified to be a coordinator. And yet he somehow became an NFL head coach...

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Because Marrone isn't qualified to be a coordinator. And yet he somehow became an NFL head coach...

In fairness they are different skillsets. A coordinator needs to be an excellent Xs and Os guy and a communicator. Neither of which sound like Doug. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Looks like St. Doug found himself a new job.

Saban, Bill O’Brien and Marrone on the same staff.

Lemon sales skyrocket in Tuscaloosa, with those three sourpuss pricks in town.  Some poor kids' tuitions just went up thanks to their salaries.  Roll lemons!

• Haha (+1) 1