Black Monday is coming (UPDATE: is here!).....

GunnerBill

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He has the yips because the line can't block and the receivers can't separate. He's missing his go-to guy in Ertz too, and his cast of pass-catchers right now is a bunch of nobodies. I doubt he has much trust in any of them except for Goeddert, who is clearly inferior to Ertz.  

I think if that happened to us we would see hero Josh a lot more and all the issues that come with that. Hopefully in a couple years Josh will be able to leave that behind for good.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Daboll and Patricia would make the fattest HC and Coordinator combo in the history of the NFL.  They need to hire Freddie Kitchens as OC and they will cause a gravitational pull.

You sure?

20201202_130806.jpg

Edited by DJB
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, golfball323 said:

Great stuff. Thanks.

If we lose Daboll, do we think that there is an arrangement to keep his system in place with an in house promotion? Or do we go elsewhere?

I am guessing Dorsey  Just don't bring back Nate Hackett....he is screwing up the Pack right now.

Edited by bigK14094

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I am pretty sure that teams will accept a Super Bowl win with that playbook like the Iggles did. Better to burn out than it is to rust?

100% I would take it, but you still run the risk of that first year lighting the league on fire like Nagy only to stumble to the bottom. 

Pete Carroll, Bruce Arians, Vic Fangio and Andy Reid top my "don't be surprised" list.  Mostly because of their age.  Carroll will be 70, Arians will be 69 with health issues, and Fangio will be 69 and looks completely miserable.  Andy Reid, if he wins another SB, that might be enough for him and KC has the heir apparent in Bieniemy.  

My dark horse is Matt Nagy.  I think Chicago might do some deep cleaning.  It's not working there.  

5 hours ago, warrior9 said:

I think Mike McCarthy is and has been one of the worst head coaches in the NFL over 13-15 years but him being in trouble just isn't fair, really. I'd say there is next to 0% chance he isn't back next year.

Injuries to Dak, along the offensive line, and defense just can't be overcame. His in game coaching is still abysmal, though.

The fact that Anthony Lynn still has a job surprises me.

Mike Zimmer won't be let go. I just can't see that happening. 

The talk in LA is because of Herbert, you might be able to lure a big name like Urban Meyer rather than settle for a mediocre coordinator. I would stick Lynn closer to brink then trouble.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Excellent work,  thanks for the info.:thumbsup: 

I think 8 is always the over under for HC firings.  

Having Patricia as DC would help Daboll in the same way that having Gus Bradley helped Anthony Lynn.  If you are going to hire an unknown like Daboll who has been fired from 3 coordinating jobs in the NFL you really need him to bring a staff you can sell to the fans.  

But I think that there will be somewhat surprising retread hires as well so Daboll is far from a lock for a HC job.

I do think that the situation is more ripe than ever for college coaches to jump though too.

A lot of these college programs are losing epic dollars this season and the chaos in college football has to be maddening for a HC.    I suspect more than a few major college HC's have been asked to forego payments or take salary cuts........and they are working as hard as ever.  The NFL is a steady ship by comparison.   

Yea it is a good point on the college guys. I hadn't thought of it like that. I was thinking hard circumstances in which to establish your credibility with a bunch of grizzled NFL pros who don't need to listen to some jumped up college coach if there are not OTAs etc but you are right if the alternative is a programme losing money and not sure to pay your salary maybe it is the lesser of two evils? 

I definitely think there will be a retread or two. 100% and it might be a really surprising one like Jason Garrett or somebody. Spags is another one that would surprise but not be a total shock. The last two years there has been the Zack Taylor / Joe Judge "Who?" moment as well. 

Agree Daboll is not a lock. I think he is a lock for interviews. He is not a lock to get a job. If the Patricia info is right it definitely gives his candidacy a bit of additional credibility. I think the closest to a lock there might be Saleh.

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Pete Carroll, Bruce Arians, Vic Fangio and Andy Reid top my "don't be surprised" list.  Mostly because of their age.  Carroll will be 70, Arians will be 69 with health issues, and Fangio will be 69 and looks completely miserable.  Andy Reid, if he wins another SB, that might be enough for him and KC has the heir apparent in Bieniemy.  

My dark horse is Matt Nagy.  I think Chicago might do some deep cleaning.  It's not working there.  

Fangio may look older, but the truth is he just turned 62 wrote the start of the season....

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea it is a good point on the college guys. I hadn't thought of it like that. I was thinking hard circumstances in which to establish your credibility with a bunch of grizzled NFL pros who don't need to listen to some jumped up college coach if there are not OTAs etc but you are right if the alternative is a programme losing money and not sure to pay your salary maybe it is the lesser of two evils? 

I definitely think there will be a retread or two. 100% and it might be a really surprising one like Jason Garrett or somebody. Spags is another one that would surprise but not be a total shock. The last two years there has been the Zack Taylor / Joe Judge "Who?" moment as well. 

Agree Daboll is not a lock. I think he is a lock for interviews. He is not a lock to get a job. If the Patricia info is right it definitely gives his candidacy a bit of additional credibility. I think the closest to a lock there might be Saleh.

Dallas should definitely fire McCarthy.......that hire was inexplicable, IMO............then they should hire Kris Richard as HC and let him bring Rod Marinelli back as DC............it would be an upgrade but at the same time not a total shakeup or a bunch of guys brought in that have to learn the organization.    That would be a different example of the kind of off script you are talking about.   Richard is sitting out voluntarily until he gets AT LEAST a DC job.......but it seems to me from everything I have heard that he is a better HC candidate than a DC one.   He checks some boxes that would be wise for JJ to consider checking.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Fangio may look older, but the truth is he just turned 62 wrote the start of the season....

You're right.  I guess when I see him in the highlights, he looks older, and I see an old guy who's not enjoying what he's doing.  

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dallas should definitely fire McCarthy.......that hire was inexplicable, IMO............then they should hire Kris Richard as HC and let him bring Rod Marinelli back as DC............it would be an upgrade but at the same time not a total shakeup or a bunch of guys brought in that have to learn the organization.    That would be a different example of the kind of off script you are talking about.   Richard is sitting out voluntarily until he gets AT LEAST a DC job.......but it seems to me from everything I have heard that he is a better HC candidate than a DC one.   He checks some boxes that would be wise for JJ to consider checking.

Agree completely on that. I really like Richard as a potential HC. 

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Daboll and Patricia would make the fattest HC and Coordinator combo in the history of the NFL.  They need to hire Freddie Kitchens as OC and they will cause a gravitational pull.

More than the Ryan's?? Not a chance!!

7 hours ago, DJB said:

You sure?

20201202_130806.jpg

Thanks, I needed that image for my post!!

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't know.  Personally I think Rob Ryan and Twiggy would still make the fattest combo!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

We’ve gotten this far and no mention of Vic Fangio?

Accomplishments:

- perhaps the worst in-game decision maker

in the NFL. 

- somehow allowed all 4 (count ‘em ... 4!) QBs into the same room without masks, resulting in 13 yards passing with 2 INTs. This is after he was fined 100K for not wearing a mask on the sidelines. It is common for loudmouth fans to say things like “I could have done better” when of course they never

could. But last Sunday I am 100% confident that I could have done better. I would have taken the shotgun snap, stepped 1 yard forward, and immediately fallen down before risking getting touched by a 300 lb defensive

lineman. And that would have been better

than what that poor practice squad WR kid did on Sunday. 
Vic is toast. I see the old in-season firing happening before the Bills game in Denver. Too bad. 

Fangio is 100% safe.  This needs more context than just their record.  Denver has been devestated by injuries accross the roster.  Over half their cap is on IR.  Fangio has been able to cobble together scrappy defenses with JAGS and the players play hard for him.  

Also....Denver has no owner right now.  The are controlled by a trust while the Bowlen children figure out who, if any, can be in charge...it's a mess.  Elway has changed coaching staffs too much already and the trust won't be willing to spend more money they don't have for him to do it again this offseason.  

When Fangio was hired, the original plan was to have him provide stability compared to Vance Joseph, and get a VET QB to run the O at a competent level, field a stout D and win by running the football, play action passing and winning the TO batlle.  Flacco is who they got, he sucked....they turned to Drew Lock, who was never the plan..and that hasn't worked.  They'll sign a VET QB in the offseason and get back on track...Fangio keeps his job since they aren't going to be drafting a new QB.  He's not even on the hot seat.  

8 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I've read people in the NFL are not as high on Bienemy as the media is. I wouldnt be shocked if he didnt get a job

I believe this is true.  I'd say that it is important to see if John Dorsey gets a GM job this cycle....he'd almost be a package deal with Beienemy.  Dorsey would want a HC he can work with and be ABOVE in the hierarchy.  EB fits that bill and they'd both be on the same page in philosophy and players etc.  I would not be surprised at all if that pairing ends up in Houston.

6 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I believe this is true.  I'd say that it is important to see if John Dorsey gets a GM job this cycle....he'd almost be a package deal with Beienemy.  Dorsey would want a HC he can work with and be ABOVE in the hierarchy.  EB fits that bill and they'd both be on the same page in philosophy and players etc.  I would not be surprised at all if that pairing ends up in Houston.

I think there is almost zero chance John Dorsey gets another NFL GM job.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think there is almost zero chance John Dorsey gets another NFL GM job.

Thats what I think. In Cleveland he he drafted the 3rd best QB in the draft number one overall and hired FREDDIE KITCHENS as his HC

He lost the power struggle with Reid in KC too and has been known to be difficult to work with. Hes a good scout and has an eye for talent, but I wouldnt hire him as GM

• Like (+1) 1