A Zero butterfly effect story

Zerovoltz

On April 18th, 2016, The destiny of the Kansas City Chiefs was set in motion by an on obscure, odd, bitter event that no one even remembers. Kansas City lost it’s appeal on charges of illegal tampering with Jeremy Maclin prior to his signing with the team. At the time, everyone was upset with the NFL for handing down such a harsh sentence. The Chiefs were fined 250k, and had to forfeit their 3rd and 6th round draft choices in the 2016 NFL draft. Just days before the draft started, losing that 3rd round pick would end up saving the Chiefs from themselves, and the rest is history. Let me explain.

In 2016, Kansas City allegedly wanted to draft Paxton Lynch, the big tall QB from Memphis. KC, picking 28th, knew Lynch was coveted by other teams. In fact, Jerry Jones lamented after that draft, that he wished had “overpayed” to move up and draft Lynch. There were rumblings all over that KC was in on him as well. Denver, picking at 31, and needing a new QB after the retirement of Peyton Manning, ended up making the deal to move up to 26 and get Lynch.

It might seem like picking at 28 and only needing to move up 2 spots, KC would be able to make a winning offer to Seattle to make it happen…but they didn’t have a 3rd round pick. Kansas City’s 3rd rounder, the 91st overall selection, was the pick KC had to give up for tampering with Maclin. Denver had the 94th overall pick, late in the third round and was able to package pick 31 and pick 94 to make the move up to 26. If KC had their 3rd rounder, Kansas City would have been able to outbid Denver with an offer of 28 and 91. As it was, the best the Chiefs could do was 28 and 126, their 4th round choice. Denver had the best offer, moved up and drafted Lynch.

Kansas City would go on to trade back out of the 28th pick with San Francisco. The Chiefs sent the 28th (1st) and the 249th (7th) for 37 (2nd) 105 (4th) and 178 (6th). At 37, Kansas City would select, DT Chris Jones. At 105 they selected G Parker Ehinger, who started until he suffered an injury and then was traded to Dallas in 2017 for Charvarious Ward. Having missed out on Lynch in 2016, the Chiefs were still looking for a QB in 2017. We all know how that turned out.

Who would have thought, such a trivial, heavy handed decision over tampering with a player, would ultimately lead to Kansas City acquiring Chris Jones, Charvarious Ward, and…Patrick Mahomes. Sometimes it’s the little, obscure events that we miss, that matter more than we think and more than we could ever know at the time.

• Like (+1) 7

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Another interpretation: Andy Reid falling in love with Paxton Lynch is proof positive that hitting on Mahomes was as much about the stars aligning as it was Reid knowing what he was doing.

Moral of the story:  it's better to be lucky than good.   None of the QBs in the 2016 draft have turned out to be nearly as good as Mahomes --- or DeShaun Watson. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Moral of the story:  it's better to be lucky than good.   None of the QBs in the 2016 draft have turned out to be nearly as good as Mahomes --- or DeShaun Watson. 

Yep. I’m still not convinced Allen was the Bills top QB choice in that draft (although I know they said he was). I certainly would take him over any of the others at this point though! 

18 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Yep. I’m still not convinced Allen was the Bills top QB choice in that draft (although I know they said he was). I certainly would take him over any of the others at this point though! 

I wasn't a fan of taking Allen in 2017 but he was better than Darnold, whom it seemed was the Bills first choice until the Jests traded up to #3.   

It's funny.  They asked Tyreek Hill on Inside the NFL last night if he could see Mahomes greatness immediately after he was drafted.  Hill laughed and basically said that Mahomes sucked when he first arrived.  He then said when Mahomes came back for his second year "he was a totally different guy-- footwork, understanding the game" etc.  I found that interesting, and suggests Mahomes is more like Allen than I thought.  I guess getting crushed in the first year playing on a bad team as opposed to watching a veteran like Alex Smith play made a difference, at least from an outward appearance standpoint.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, DJB said:

Isn't this the Bills board? 

I've seen 20 years of crap about Tom Brady on here. Now it feels like there is a daily Pat Mahomes thread. 

The OP has been on here trolling for a couple of years (basically since the Bills traded out of the pick that gave the Chiefs Kermit the Frog).

Edit:  looks like he wrote the piece here:  https://arrowheadguys.com/how-roger-goodell-helped-the-chiefs-land-patrick-mahomes/

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

The OP has been on here trolling for a couple of years (basically since the Bills traded out of the pick that gave the Chiefs Kermit the Frog).

Edit:  looks like he wrote the piece here:  https://arrowheadguys.com/how-roger-goodell-helped-the-chiefs-land-patrick-mahomes/

Or he plagiarized the entire thing :lol:

Abandon Thread GIFs | Tenor

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, DJB said:

Isn't this the Bills board? 

I've seen 20 years of crap about Tom Brady on here. Now it feels like there is a daily Pat Mahomes thread. 

I hear ya, I get scolded for pointing this sort of thing out, lots of fans here who just love how the pats and Brady cheat all the time, birds of a feather I guess, at least KC and Mahomes haven’t gone done that road...but one would think that this being a Bills team forum these post wouldn’t happen so frequently... 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

On April 18th, 2016, The destiny of the Kansas City Chiefs was set in motion by an on obscure, odd, bitter event that no one even remembers. Kansas City lost it’s appeal on charges of illegal tampering with Jeremy Maclin prior to his signing with the team. At the time, everyone was upset with the NFL for handing down such a harsh sentence. The Chiefs were fined 250k, and had to forfeit their 3rd and 6th round draft choices in the 2016 NFL draft. Just days before the draft started, losing that 3rd round pick would end up saving the Chiefs from themselves, and the rest is history. Let me explain.

In 2016, Kansas City allegedly wanted to draft Paxton Lynch, the big tall QB from Memphis. KC, picking 28th, knew Lynch was coveted by other teams. In fact, Jerry Jones lamented after that draft, that he wished had “overpayed” to move up and draft Lynch. There were rumblings all over that KC was in on him as well. Denver, picking at 31, and needing a new QB after the retirement of Peyton Manning, ended up making the deal to move up to 26 and get Lynch.

It might seem like picking at 28 and only needing to move up 2 spots, KC would be able to make a winning offer to Seattle to make it happen…but they didn’t have a 3rd round pick. Kansas City’s 3rd rounder, the 91st overall selection, was the pick KC had to give up for tampering with Maclin. Denver had the 94th overall pick, late in the third round and was able to package pick 31 and pick 94 to make the move up to 26. If KC had their 3rd rounder, Kansas City would have been able to outbid Denver with an offer of 28 and 91. As it was, the best the Chiefs could do was 28 and 126, their 4th round choice. Denver had the best offer, moved up and drafted Lynch.

Kansas City would go on to trade back out of the 28th pick with San Francisco. The Chiefs sent the 28th (1st) and the 249th (7th) for 37 (2nd) 105 (4th) and 178 (6th). At 37, Kansas City would select, DT Chris Jones. At 105 they selected G Parker Ehinger, who started until he suffered an injury and then was traded to Dallas in 2017 for Charvarious Ward. Having missed out on Lynch in 2016, the Chiefs were still looking for a QB in 2017. We all know how that turned out.

Who would have thought, such a trivial, heavy handed decision over tampering with a player, would ultimately lead to Kansas City acquiring Chris Jones, Charvarious Ward, and…Patrick Mahomes. Sometimes it’s the little, obscure events that we miss, that matter more than we think and more than we could ever know at the time.

Not even close brah....not even close.

Is Josh Allen Married to his Girlfriend? Who is Allen Dating Currently?

Who is Brittany Matthews, Patrick Mahomes fiancée?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, H2o said:

So....... You wrote this 7 months ago and just randomly come to post this on here now?

Lying GIFs | Tenor

It wasn't random.....there is a thread here that was going over some draft scenarios and it made me think of how little things can alter what a team does.....but yes is the answer.

I’m not really sure what this story is doing on a Buffalo Bills message board.

To be fair, it DOES follow Zero’s only known framework for posting here: “THE CHIEFS GOT PATRICK MAHOMES!!!!!!!”.

Why do I keep clicking on threads by this strange troll?

• Like (+1) 1