Daboll doesn't get enough credit for his trick plays.

Logic

1 hour ago, Muppy said:

well a knock had been a lack of halftime adjustments on offense has that been corrected where Daboll is concerned? Question for the board.

there are 2 schools of thought on trick plays..."get fancy get trucked" or "wow that a genius call" if they work..or "ACK what the actual heck was THAT" if they fail. sometimes those cutesy plays are great but other times they tank. Execution is key and not being predictable enough so that our opponents dont immediately sniff those out and result in losses (which has happened) as well as Touchdowns (the same) Overall I am your typical fan love them when they work hate em when they don't. If the thought that Daboll might do some fancy dancy trick keeps the opponests on their heels then great but if they become cliche then its time to move on from those. IMO

No, not in my opinion it hasn't Muppy. Buffalo's dismal 3rd quarter play has been well documented and continues to be a problem. 

I do however think getting the ground game going may help remedy the problem IMO.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

BWA.  I'd give Dawkins another chance or two to catch a pass.  Did you see that film clip where he stripped down Isaiah McKensie?  Big man got some moves!

Contrary Opinion Point:

Is it possible we spend too much practice time on fun trick plays at the expense of run blocking and pass protection fundamentals?

Funny enough, a coworker and I happened to be discussing trick plays today in general, and wondered why we don’t see even more than we already do—the coworker who’s also a Ga Bulldogs fan pointed out that back in the day David Greene used to run a delayed play action pass with his back nonchalantly to the defense(!) to perfection seemingly at least once a game, usually to devastatingly good result—check out the embedded video of this article (against Vandy in 2003, to Terrence Edwards) https://dawnofthedawg.com/2017/06/30/georgia-football-devastating-beauty-david-greenes-play-action/

I’d wager Allen with his bulk hiding the ball could pull this off too?

• Like (+1) 1

I'd like the Bills to have one of these every game.  It will always be a question in the back of the defenders' minds, is THIS the down when they'll be trying a trick play?  And then, just to be really annoying, the Bills should run another trick play.

10 hours ago, Logic said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/it-s-a-players-game-how-the-bills-success-on-trick-plays-stacks-up-against-the-r

As ESPN's Marcel Louis-Jacques pointed out, Cole Beasley's touchdown pass to Gabriel Davis against the Chargers was the fourth touchdown thrown by a Bills non-quarterback (including playoffs) since Daboll joined the team in 2018. That number leads the NFL. According to radar360, only five teams have more than one such score in that span.

I think he gets plenty of credit. A lot of writers have written about this, including the one you posted

Edited by nucci

4 hours ago, Figster said:

No, not in my opinion it hasn't Muppy. Buffalo's dismal 3rd quarter play has been well documented and continues to be a problem. 

I do however think getting the ground game going may help remedy the problem IMO.

Certainly this season I have not been as convinced the third quarter scoring issues were adjustment related so much as they were penalty related. We seemed to come out after half and put ourselves behind the sticks with penalties. People immediately go to playcalling but I think a lot of it was just bad execution from players coming out sloppy with leads after half time.

That said - the problem has been fixed to some extent. Through their first 8 games I believe the Bills were the lowest scoring 3rd Quarter team but we have now managed a 3rd Quarter touchdown in each of our last three games

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Agreed, Daboll has made a name for himself across NFL writers for not just trick plays, up his style of play calling.  Personally, I like the trickery plays.  Wasn’t it cool when Kyle caught that TD pas before he retired.  That was classy how McD and Daboll called that for Kyle.  I probably like it because it seems to work most of the time.

I don’t if you could call some of the end around McKenzie as trick plays, but I love when they work.  I know it didn’t work for the Chargers game, but it has worked for quite often these past couple of years.  I was really happy we retained him this year.  Makes me wonder if we go to 7 next year adding Hodgins into the active roster vs. practice squad.  It could be fun having two big bodies out there.  We don’t seem to use our TE’s well for a variety of reasons so going down to 3 and adding a FB could be good.  I still think one of the running problems we’ve had is not just the O Line, but losing DiMarco as a lead blocker.  He may have been more valuable than earlier thought.  Kind of like we including me underestimating Star.

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Agreed, Daboll has made a name for himself across NFL writers for not just trick plays, up his style of play calling.  Personally, I like the trickery plays.  Wasn’t it cool when Kyle caught that TD pas before he retired.  That was classy how McD and Daboll called that for Kyle.  I probably like it because it seems to work most of the time.

I don’t if you could call some of the end around McKenzie as trick plays, but I love when they work.  I know it didn’t work for the Chargers game, but it has worked for quite often these past couple of years.  I was really happy we retained him this year.  Makes me wonder if we go to 7 next year adding Hodgins into the active roster vs. practice squad.  It could be fun having two big bodies out there.  We don’t seem to use our TE’s well for a variety of reasons so going down to 3 and adding a FB could be good.  I still think one of the running problems we’ve had is not just the O Line, but losing DiMarco as a lead blocker.  He may have been more valuable than earlier thought.  Kind of like we including me underestimating Star.

Interesting on the run game that they did their deep dive and then activated Lee Smith. He played just over a quarter of the offensive snaps and I was trying to watch because I thought initially it was a bit of a 'tell' that Smith was out there and they were going to run it but actually they ended up pretty balanced on Smith snaps to my eye.... although I haven't been back through and counted them.

• Like (+1) 1

The crazy thing is, every one of them has worked!

And not just worked, scored a TD.  Very few teams scheme up trick plays that well...many times they are covered and we only get to see the highlights of the ones that actually worked.

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

This is a tricky thread, I am not falling for this....

Some of these plays are pretty awesome...would like to see Daboll try the one at the 1:33 mark of the video...

Best trick plays of all time(college and pro)

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

You gotta figure that we're among the most aggravating teams to play against the in red zone for opposing DCs.

Josh never throwing a INT so far in the red zone, his running ability, TE catching passes, trick plays... yep. nightmarish indeed he he

I actually thought the same: Daboll not getting enough credit for the trick plays. Most of them produce TDs too! It reminds me when putting JJ Watt on offense was looked as a gimmick when he scored a TD almost every time! Results matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Huh? KW never caught a pass for a TD...

On 12/2/2020 at 11:35 AM, BringBackFlutie said:

Huh? KW never caught a pass for a TD...

You mean the Kyle Williams, for a 1 yard touchdown, if you took 3 seconds to google it in 2918.  That one?  Google works if you weren’t trying to be a butthead.  You see every real Bills fan knows it.  Would you like me to copy so you look like a moron?  C’mon, don’t be dumb.  Every Bills fan knows this play.  You know, real Bills fans.

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

You mean the Kyle Williams, for a 1 yard touchdown, if you took 3 seconds to google it in 2918.  That one?  Google works if you weren’t trying to be a butthead.  You see every real Bills fan knows it.  Would you like me to copy so you look like a moron?  C’mon, don’t be dumb.  Every Bills fan knows this play.  You know, real Bills fans.

You are confusing effort with innate ability.

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I would like to see it

• Like (+1) 1