Tight End stat sheet as of Dec. 1

Commish

So I wasn't expecting much, and I was right: Buffalo's tight ends ranked 43, 47, and 99th in reception stats. Blocking is not scored, but I'm not sure we'd be a powerhouse in that ranking either. Hunter Henry, who popped for me last Sunday, is ranked 5th. Herbert is good, no doubt, but he's got a ton of weapon.

https://fantasyfootballers.org/te-tight-end-nfl-stats/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Interesting ranking - Thanks for sharing.

Logan Thomas was someone I thought would get more opportunities here, but Bill-eiving that Knox will soon be back to the Angry Run caliber TE we were looking forward to this season yet.

Do you think between he and Kroft we have a pass catching/blocking TE or are you ready to move on?

35 minutes ago, The BLUES Brothers said:

Interesting ranking - Thanks for sharing.

Logan Thomas was someone I thought would get more opportunities here, but Bill-eiving that Knox will soon be back to the Angry Run caliber TE we were looking forward to this season yet.

Do you think between he and Kroft we have a pass catching/blocking TE or are you ready to move on?

I was super excited about Knox coming into the season - the best I can say now  is that I'm enormously underwhelmed.

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

I suspect Knox will be in the pattern of most pass catchers of the past thirty years: it will be a process to see his true professional self. I know it’s maddening, but I think patience needs to be the word with him. Just my opinion. 

Not disagreeing with you but I do not think the Bills can afford to be patient with Knox heading into year three if he doesn't pick it up in a hurry.

The Bills are competing for a SB title in the next few seasons. Getting that position settled with a legitimate player is needed, not something they should hope for.

Look for an attempt to upgrade this position big-time this off-season.

10 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I suspect Knox will be in the pattern of most pass catchers of the past thirty years: it will be a process to see his true professional self. I know it’s maddening, but I think patience needs to be the word with him. Just my opinion. 

I REALLY want to believe that something is going to click with this kid.  But man .... I'm losing hope every week.  There isn't one thing he does well on a consistent basis and he has shown literally zero improvement since he joined the league - which is my biggest concern.  No growth or progress.

• Like (+1) 2

The way this offense is designed the tight end position is ranked low on the food chart. It’s the reason why I don’t understand why so many are clamoring for a stud TE, we already have Diggs, Brown, Beasley and Davis.....not enough balls to go around to feed everyone. Stud TEs are usually the #1 or #2 option on their team.....not the 4th or 5th option. 

What this offense needs is a stud RB, that’s what would turn this offense into a Chiefs type offense.

19 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Yeah we can be be patient, but Tight End needs to be addressed in the off-season with a high draft pick. 

Knox has had the open opportunity to be starter and he hasn’t been reliable. 

I think the Bills do need to add a TE..... just not sure in a tight cap year if the number comes down and with some other needs to address - especially on defense - how much resource we can legitimately throw at tight end. Especially because it seems like Daboll only really goes to them in the redzone. Is that a result of him not trusting them? Perhaps. But overall his gameplans just do not feature the tight end much. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills try another lower level Tyler Kroft type FA. Would be surprised to see them spend another pick in the top 100 on the position.

39 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

The way this offense is designed the tight end position is ranked low on the food chart. It’s the reason why I don’t understand why so many are clamoring for a stud TE, we already have Diggs, Brown, Beasley and Davis.....not enough balls to go around to feed everyone. Stud TEs are usually the #1 or #2 option on their team.....not the 4th or 5th option. 

What this offense needs is a stud RB, that’s what would turn this offense into a Chiefs type offense.

Beasley and Brown are both 30+ and 2021 will be the last years of the John Brown deal. 

As much as I like Brown, he’s been broken down much of this season, and that’s left the door open for him to be replaced with a better player this offseason. 

When I look at the Bills, we are trying to beat the Chiefs, everyone is. Our shot is to score, the Raiders blueprint.

And Tight End is the one position right now the Bills get 0 out of most weeks. It’s just a hole in the roster that would help Allen. And if that weapon grows into a better option than Brown or Beasley, that’s only good. Same as if there is a can’t miss WR in the 1st Round, take them. 

Allen is not Mahomes, he is going to need all the help he can get to win a chip, but we have the QB that can load up and throw 35 times a game. I’d keep piling on young weapons.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Beasley and Brown are both 30+ and 2021 will be the last years of the John Brown deal. 

As much as I like Brown, he’s been broken down much of this season, and that’s left the door open for him to be replaced with a better player this offseason. 

When I look at the Bills, we are trying to beat the Chiefs, everyone is. Our shot is to score, the Raiders blueprint.

And Tight End is the one position right now the Bills get 0 out of most weeks. It’s just a hole in the roster that would help Allen. And if that weapon grows into a better option than Brown or Beasley, that’s only good. Same as if there is a can’t miss WR in the 1st Round, take them. 

Allen is not Mahomes, he is going to need all the help he can get to win a chip.

Kelce and Waller are the only TE’s currently with 50 or more receptions......the need for a stud TE is so overblown. Unless your offense is designed around the TE the need for one is minimal. I’d rather find another WR to pair with Diggs and Davis, a capable TE and a stud RB.

49 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

THIS

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

What’s the rank in targets? We don’t throw to tight ends how high would you expect them to rank? 

I guess that depends.  Are we not getting much production from our TE corps because we have poor TEs or do we have poor TEs because we aren’t putting a lot of resources into a position we wouldn’t use much anyway?  Daboll comes from NE where Belichick has always stressed the TE position.  But Allen is a different kind of QB.  I really don’t know the answer, but I have to think that one quality in line TE that could be effective both blocking and receiving would help this offense.  But whether that’s in the cards from a resource allocation standpoint is another question.  The Browns snagged Harrison Bryant in the fourth round last draft. I’d love for the Bills to find that quality of TE in that part of the draft next time around.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Not disagreeing with you but I do not think the Bills can afford to be patient with Knox heading into year three if he doesn't pick it up in a hurry.

The Bills are competing for a SB title in the next few seasons. Getting that position settled with a legitimate player is needed, not something they should hope for.

Look for an attempt to upgrade this position big-time this off-season.

this.

2 hours ago, Commish said:

So I wasn't expecting much, and I was right: Buffalo's tight ends ranked 43, 47, and 99th in reception stats. Blocking is not scored, but I'm not sure we'd be a powerhouse in that ranking either. Hunter Henry, who popped for me last Sunday, is ranked 5th. Herbert is good, no doubt, but he's got a ton of weapon.

https://fantasyfootballers.org/te-tight-end-nfl-stats/

So where does their WR group rank next to the Bills?

Remember when a Bills passing attack consisted mainly  of RBs and TEs?

Now the Bills have a QB that can make all the throws and one of the top 3 WR's (Diggs) in the league in catches and yards.

36 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

What’s the rank in targets? We don’t throw to tight ends how high would you expect them to rank? 

i agree. I thought this past week would be different. Kroft was inactive and Knox seemed to be out on the field a lot— I thought for sure he would get some targets.

Remember that nifty TE screen we ran earlier this year? I think we should dust that off. 

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i agree. I thought this past week would be different. Kroft was inactive and Knox seemed to be out on the field a lot— I thought for sure he would get some targets.

Remember that nifty TE screen we ran earlier this year? I think we should dust that off. 

I think the next gadget play may involve aTE .

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the Bills do need to add a TE..... just not sure in a tight cap year if the number comes down and with some other needs to address - especially on defense - how much resource we can legitimately throw at tight end. Especially because it seems like Daboll only really goes to them in the redzone. Is that a result of him not trusting them? Perhaps. But overall his gameplans just do not feature the tight end much. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills try another lower level Tyler Kroft type FA. Would be surprised to see them spend another pick in the top 100 on the position.

I am with you. I think Beane goes and tries to find another TE looking for a “prove it” deal to pair with Knox and Sweeney. It could even be Kroft. Smith is gone after this season. Knox has been a disappointment this year for sure. We were all hoping another year in the system would help him work out the focus issues for catching. So far that hasn’t been the case. Covid and injuries haven’t helped Knox, maybe he can turn it on for the end of the regular season and playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1