Urban Meyer to Texas?

YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, Augie said:

What percentage of the population can turn down an $84 million offer? This is as astounding as NBA contracts. It’s like “yes, I know that’s a winning Powerball ticket, but I need to get this campfire started.”   Just confounding......

When one gets older one's perspective on life often changes. What is the point of making $84 million rather than say $10 million when you can do whatever you want in your life at the lower figure than at the higher figure. Urban Meyer has been in the consuming coaching business most of his adult life. I'm not saying that he is old because he is still capable of taking over a college program and turning it around. But why do it if the stresses of the job jeopardizes his health or limits his ability to have a lifestyle that makes his wife, children and grandkids more happy? I'm not making any judgments. He can do whatever he wants. But my point is that it would be very understandable why he wouldn't want to get back on that whirlwind and totally consuming coaching lifestyle again, especially when he has other options to choose. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Quality of life won out. And his wife who doesn’t want him coaching for health reasons. Oh and Fox gave him a huge raise! He’s awesome on tv, really. Cushy gig too. 

He gets to live on Siesta Key and have lunch at Captain Curts Oyster Bar. That alone makes me jealous!  The dollars surprise/impress me, the decision does not. I agree with the decision, I’m all for happiness over extreme wealth. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/4/2020 at 11:10 AM, Augie said:

He gets to live on Siesta Key and have lunch at Captain Curts Oyster Bar. That alone makes me jealous!  The dollars surprise/impress me, the decision does not. I agree with the decision, I’m all for happiness over extreme wealth. 

I am 20 minutes from Capt. Curts.  Never seen Mayer there.....I wasn't aware he lived that close to me......

3 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I am 20 minutes from Capt. Curts.  Never seen Mayer there.....I wasn't aware he lived that close to me......

It’s a serious OSU bar, and he lives nearby on the key. He mentions it during interviews. Very close friends have an “extra house” not 5 minutes away on the bay we have stayed at multiple times. Stumbling distance. Apparently Urban’s daughter also lives on Siesta. 

Lived in The Landings not 10 minutes away when we first moved to SRQ. My goal is to get back there and do it on my terms. A guy can dream!  Go wifey! She makes stuff happen! 

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s a serious OSU bar, and he lives nearby on the key. He mentions it during interviews. Very close friends have an “extra house” not 5 minutes away on the bay we have stayed at multiple times. Stumbling distance. Apparently Urban’s daughter also lives on Siesta. 

Lived in The Landings not 10 minutes away when we first moved to SRQ. My goal is to get back there and do it on my terms. A guy can dream!  Go wifey! She makes stuff happen! 

I think he officially  turned it down today. There are indeed a finite number of holes that can be drilled in one’s head. His medical issue is still there. Siesta key sounds like a very nice place to retire. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I think he officially  turned it down today. There are indeed a finite number of holes that can be drilled in one’s head. His medical issue is still there. Siesta key sounds like a very nice place to retire. 

At some point in time, more money than you could ever spend is enough. I wish him well, and know he’s making more than 99.9% of us ever will just doing an easy TV gig.

But I get his type. My wife could never retire. We left our kids rec hoops game about 25 years ago and her phone rang. We all had to be quiet while she saved some deal. She hung up at the red light and turned to the kids in the back and said “THAT is MY sport.”  She doesn’t seem capable of retiring. 

I get Urban wanting back in. He doesn’t NEED back in, but he’s driven. I hope for the sake of his health and his family doing TV is ENOUGH for him. 

On 12/5/2020 at 10:18 PM, Augie said:

This is pretty cool!  I'll tell ya @Augie moving here was the BEST thing I ever did.  Only regret is why did I wait so long????

Go BILLS!  Should be a good game tonite!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.