2nd and wrong

7 minutes ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Those were the days indeed. My dad split season tickets with three other families as well; we each went to 10 home games a year back in the 70's back in the old Aud. Such a fun team to watch with big Mac, local Buff State star Randy Smith and Columbia grad Jimmy McMillan.

Bob Kaufman lived right behind us and my sister used to babysit their kid during games. Great guy! Used to play hoops with the local kids at the community court. She also would babysit for Butch Byrd in the same development. It was an awesome place to grow up! 

I jumped off the roof of a garage into a snowdrift......only to learn Kaufman’s VW Bug was in the snow. OOPS!  He was like 6’8” and used to drive around with his head out the sunroof for fun. Haha!

Loved Gar Heard and Ernie D and all the rest back then!  Fun times! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Bob Kaufman lived right behind us and my sister used to babysit their kid during games. Great guy! Used to play hoops with the local kids at the community court. She also would babysit for Butch Byrd in the same development. It was an awesome place to grow up! 

Great stuff. I went to basketball camp one summer in Derby, NY so I actually met Bob Kaufman. I was the skinniest, youngest kid at the camp and I remember him looking after me. He was genuinely a great guy. RIP.

Loved Garfield Heard too! I remember he had such a high arching shot that dad would say, "he arches that shot so high that he forgets where it's going" lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, skibum said:

That's an average of 4.7 yards on first down. Is that bad?

Yes.  Because 19/27 (included the two fumbles as "long") plays were 2nd and long.  That 4.7 is a skewed average mostly picked up on that one 44 yard  1st down play... And it was later in the game.

Averages are a misleading number.

Oh... And compounded with a 24 yard play out of the 8 really "good" 1st downs.

3 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

Seemed like we faced a lot of 2nd and longs yesterday, so I took this from the ESPN play-by-play of yesterday's game. Here's what the Bills gained (or lost) on 1st down: 5, 3, -3, 0, 2, 2, 3, 0, 0, 11, 0, -1, 8, 4, 6, -1, 0, 11, 1, 11, fumble, 44, fumble, 2, -2, 24, -4. 

That’ll do it. But..

i read right here it was all Allens’ fault. From many posters. In many threads. 

So..

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

I jumped off the roof of a garage into a snowdrift......only to learn Kaufman’s VW Bug was in the snow. OOPS!  He was like 6’8” and used to drive around with his head out the sunroof for fun. Haha!

Great post! Ya lucky bastard!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, vincec said:

Yeah, the offense wasn’t really that sharp yesterday. Luckily the defense ant ST picked up the slack.

But they still rolled up 23 first downs and 27 points...would have likely been 30+ if not for the silly fumbles.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

So an average gain of 3.15 yards (taking out the 44 yard play), or 4.67 if you include the 44 yard play.

Not great. But also not the end of the world. The most concerning bit is the two fumbles, but the down has nothing to do with fumbling it.

The average is misleading 
you have 25 first down plays (not including the 2 fumbles)
5 for a loss and 5 for zero yards - that's 40% of the time 1st down is wasted. Add in the times we gained 2 yards or less (4 times)
that's 56% of the time that we did not do anything good on first down - which is what I think the OP was saying.
Because of the few plays that were over 10 yards the average looks much better than the actual plays 

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest problem Sunday was the protection. It wasn't good enough. It is slightly worrying to me that after a really good first 8 weeks in pass pro the line has now had 3 questionable games in a row. That leads to inconsistency and mistakes from the skill guys. 

7 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I believe the offense really misses John Brown.  When he is out, the whole thing looks more difficult.

Brown seems like another one of our guys that has been playing injured all season so im not sure how much of a loss he has been.  He was dealing with a knee injury for most of the season.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

So an average gain of 3.15 yards (taking out the 44 yard play), or 4.67 if you include the 44 yard play.

Not great. But also not the end of the world. The most concerning bit is the two fumbles, but the down has nothing to do with fumbling it.

Probably a more meaningful stat than the average is the median which was 2 yards.  In fact, not counting fumbles, they were on 2nd and 8 or longer 13 out of 22 times.  

I don't know what the league median is on first downs but I assume more than 2 yards.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

Seemed like we faced a lot of 2nd and longs yesterday, so I took this from the ESPN play-by-play of yesterday's game. Here's what the Bills gained (or lost) on 1st down: 5, 3, -3, 0, 2, 2, 3, 0, 0, 11, 0, -1, 8, 4, 6, -1, 0, 11, 1, 11, fumble, 44, fumble, 2, -2, 24, -4. 

Throw to Beasley on first.  Not just on third.  

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Those were the days indeed. My dad split season tickets with three other families as well; we each went to 10 home games a year back in the 70's back in the old Aud. Such a fun team to watch with big Mac, local Buff State star Randy Smith and Columbia grad Jimmy McMillan.

I think we’re actually all the same person. I could’ve written this about both the Braves and the Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 1

that stat is is because of how much we ran it on first down.

the real breakdown vs the chargers is we ran play action a ton of times and didn't do well in it.  the Dline was able to beat our Oline so fast that the gains from play action were snuffed out by how quick the pass got disrupted.  

it was a bit of a case of sticking to what wasn't working, but the run came on like gang busters late, if we didnt' have the devin fumble we likely get another 30 or 40 yards rushing and more points, so i kinda understand what we were going for.

aside from the Ol needing to be better (hope morse being back longer helps, and winters is just trash and needs to be replaced by someone else on the roster) i think dabol needs to scheme a little better on the pass run selection.  i think a small adjustment will make big returns on that front.

• Like (+1) 1