Bills FO likely to get poached for GM candidates

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I was going to say I didn't think PFF had love for Beane's draft work.

And honestly,   other than White and Allen..........what exactly have they hit out of the park?

The Bills sorta epitomize Belichick's "you gotta' be making bad decisions all the time to be bad in the NFL".

Get a QB and don't sh*t yourself wrt personnel and coaching and you should be in contention for the playoffs more often than not.

They got that talented QB.........otherwise they are a thoroughly mixed bag of modest successes and modest failures in terms of personnel.

The schedule was very kind in 2017 and 2019 to allow them to fake it til they made it........and now they are legitimately competitive with all but maybe KC.

But in a matchup league....where playmakers are so important........the Bills personnel department has really not stood out.

I wouldn't be too excited about a Schoen/Daboll team if I were a fan of one of those full turnover situations.

Think this is mostly right. If you hit on the QB you can afford to find contributors elsewhere and still end up competitive. That is what the Bills have done. They need to find 1 or 2 more true difference makers to catapult themselves from competitive to that real elite bracket of teams. That might be one of the two guys they already have in the building with high end talent - Oliver and Edmunds - finding that sought after consistency and really breaking out, which is still possible though clearly the clock is ticking. Or it means doing it in this next couple of drafts. It is likely a future Allen contract is structured in such a way as to make the front end of it manageable for cap purposes (the advantage of having a QB you are sure about rather than one where you still have to hedge and not backload too much) so the Bills have a window now.... certainly for the next 4 or 5 years. I think we have to expect to make the dance in that period. Anything else is failure. Though obviously a better kind of failure than what preceded it.

The only thing I'd slightly take issue with is the difficulty of the 2017 schedule. I don't think I'd describe it as "very kind" certainly not in the way that the 2019 was. I think 2017 was kind of your standard NFL schedule.... it was somewhere in the middle. We only played 7 games against teams with winning records but 6 of those were against teams who won 10 or more games and the Bills were able to go 2-4 in those games which was good enough to scrape in at 9-7. We also didn't play any bottom feeders. In 2019 we only played 3 games against teams who won 10 or more games and we played 5 games against the 5 worst teams in the NFL (including 2 against Miami). 2019 was an example of a schedule that really could not have set up any better. I think 2017 they had some luck and I never thought the team was as bad as some made it out before the season but I do the schedule was pretty average overall

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Think this is mostly right. If you hit on the QB you can afford to find contributors elsewhere and still end up competitive. That is what the Bills have done. They need to find 1 or 2 more true difference makers to catapult themselves from competitive to that real elite bracket of teams. That might be one of the two guys they already have in the building with high end talent - Oliver and Edmunds - finding that sought after consistency and really breaking out, which is still possible though clearly the clock is ticking. Or it means doing it in this next couple of drafts. It is likely a future Allen contract is structured in such a way as to make the front end of it manageable for cap purposes (the advantage of having a QB you are sure about rather than one where you still have to hedge and not backload too much) so the Bills have a window now.... certainly for the next 4 or 5 years. I think we have to expect to make the dance in that period. Anything else is failure. Though obviously a better kind of failure than what preceded it.

The only thing I'd slightly take issue with is the difficulty of the 2017 schedule. I don't think I'd describe it as "very kind" certainly not in the way that the 2019 was. I think 2017 was kind of your standard NFL schedule.... it was somewhere in the middle. We only played 7 games against teams with winning records but 6 of those were against teams who won 10 or more games and the Bills were able to go 2-4 in those games which was good enough to scrape in at 9-7. We also didn't play any bottom feeders. In 2019 we only played 3 games against teams who won 10 or more games and we played 5 games against the 5 worst teams in the NFL (including 2 against Miami). 2019 was an example of a schedule that really could not have set up any better. I think 2017 they had some luck and I never thought the team was as bad as some made it out before the season but I do the schedule was pretty average overall

For the people who wonder why the Bills can't finish off teams.........that is why.

They are short a couple players...........an elite pass rusher on defense and a game breaker on offense.

When the other team is in desperation mode the Bills can't turn up the heat.........their pass rush is steady but can't really cash in when QB's hold onto the ball a bit longer..........and they don't have a player on offense who can take advantage of an over pursuing defense.

So the opponent is able to take more chances on both sides of the ball when they are down on the scoreboard.

• Like (+1) 2

It’s crazy that there are 4 or 5 LEGIT candidates in the front office that could be considered as GM’s.  

Joe Schoen

Brian Gaine

Dan Morgan

Lake Dawson

Malik Boyd

We’ve come a long way since the days of Doug Whaley, Jim Monos - both who are currently out of the NFL

22 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

I know. I've followed Dan Morgan his whole career. He is nowhere ready to be a GM. Let someone take a chance on him. I pull for the guy, I have his autographed Panthers helmet. But he has done nothing to deserve a GM job as of yet. 

I doubt you know Jack about Dan Morgan... he is more then ready..

• 2 weeks later...
On November 30, 2020 at 6:47 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We'll likely lose one or two over the next few years. Schoen is Beane's right hand man but Brian Gaine was considered a future star also but had issues in Houston. So I don't see Gaine ever getting another job. We're very deep in the front office department. 

I'd give Gaine a mulligan having to deal with O'Brien. Wonder if they were at a tug of war in trading Hopkins?

On December 3, 2020 at 9:09 PM, GreggTX said:

If the Bills have a deep staff of accomplished evaluators at the college & pro level, why did they draft Edmunds, Oliver and Ford so high? Beane has done both good and bad moves as GM. The jury is still out IMO.

The jury is still out on Ford. Oliver and Edmunds play has been impressive. I think you're really gonna see a huge jump in Oliver game next season.