How differently things could have worked out for the Bills

PromoTheRobot

Actually, the Bills were coming off a 9-7 season and had a pretty good defense -- a great front 4 -- so there was plenty of interest at the time. Remember, Doug M. had opted out because he had that $4M safety-net and was "certain" that he was going to get the Jets job.

I'm not sure that Gase would have been any worse than Rex, who came in and tore apart the one good part of the team. I wonder if Gase would have left the defense (run by Jim Schwartz) en tact? Word at the time is that this was the concept that Whaley had in mind at the time, when he wanted to hire Hue Jackson to be the head coach. Talk about a batch of losers to pick from: Rex, Gase, Hue... Yikes!

27 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Actually, the Bills were coming off a 9-7 season and had a pretty good defense -- a great front 4 -- so there was plenty of interest at the time. Remember, Doug M. had opted out because he had that $4M safety-net and was "certain" that he was going to get the Jets job.

I think that it's more Bills fan lore that we insist Mr Bologna was going to get the Jets job.  Sure, he interviewed for it, but he sold high when it came to the Bills.  And look what happened.  He landed on his feet then picked up another HC gig in 2017 by attrition.  What a guy!

The Bills were in flux in 2015, and that's why Rex landed here.  Yes, while I'm surprised at the number of people the team interviewed for the HC position, at the same time -- the organization still required a solid fumigation, and that took place later.

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Rex is the worst Head Coach of my fandom. 

You missed some of the worsts. I'm old and remember the days of Harvey Johnson (2-23-1), Jim Ringo (3-20), & Hank Bullough (4-17).  Honorable mention to John Rauch who went 7-20-1 and quit the team on the 6th day of camp in 1971 over a dispute with Ralph Wilson for his disparaging remarks about former Bills Ron McDole and Paul Maguire.    

Rex looks like the 2nd coming of Lombardi compared with these clowns.  

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That was the Rex hire where we were completely scattergun. We interviewed about 13 people. Anyone with a pulse and a headset. 

I also remember though that the one guy the Pegulas said they definitely wouldn't hire was Kyle Shanahan apparently he interviewed really poor was arrogant and condescending. Bit if spice there maybe heading into our first meeting with him as a HC next week.

Shanahan also didn't have the greatest reputation after resigning as the Browns OC because the front office pressured him to play Manziel.

39 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Or imagine if Gettleman didn't have his head up his tuchus and had drafted a QB at #2 overall.  

Better drafting Barkley who will be back next year than if he had chosen Rosen whose only hope of throwing another pass in the NFL is if the rest of the QBs in Tampa get quarantined.