Romo as full time Brady apologist...

Jamie Mueller

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Brady was so good he got 2 extra division wins credited to him every year apparently. This is how legends get talked about doing bigger than life things after they leave...

Brady won 8 division games every year even though they only play 6. Next thing it will be reported that fans used to see him fly through the air to Gillette Stadium with his superman cape on every game day.

Apologies... 6 & 0 is correct.  It doesn't change the point that I was making however.  Pats don't get to as many Super Bowls without 100% home playoff games.

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Boot lickers like Romo, evidently feel getting caught cheating every four ish years for two decades is okay, makes ya think Tony’s moral compass is a bit Fuh Ked up... birds of a feather as they say...

You know... the cheating never really bothered me.  For me it was the sight of the great Tom Brady screaming his lungs out at some poor draft choice or UDFA who'd made a mistake. As if Brady never made any...

3 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

Apologies... 6 & 0 is correct.  It doesn't change the point that I was making however.  Pats don't get to as many Super Bowls without 100% home playoff games.

You know... the cheating never really bothered me.  For me it was the sight of the great Tom Brady screaming his lungs out at some poor draft choice or UDFA who'd made a mistake. As if Brady never made any...

Just another reason Tb is a walking character flaw. He is the only player that I would not care if he had a career ending injury. 

4 hours ago, Jamie Mueller said:

I settled in to watch the Chiefs - Buccaneers game after the Bills game ended yesterday.  I never miss a chance to see GOAT Tom Brady humbled.  What I saw (and heard) instead... from the opening kick-off until the game was over... was commentator Tony Romo's endless tire pumping for Tom Brady... even when the 43 year-old Tampa Bay quarterback had a miserable time in the first quarter.  The party line from Romo... all afternoon long... seemed to be simply this... Tom Brady wasn't failing... his team mates simply weren't able to play up to his level.

Full disclosure... I hate the Patriots... and I hate Tom Brady. No special reasons... just all the usual ones. Brady's performances this year in Tampa have generally been what I thought they would be... roughly league average quarterbacking... greatly enhanced by an extremely 'powder puff' schedule. The Bucs still have 4 games left to play... 2 of them against Atlanta and 1 against Detroit. Good God! With the sole exception of the Green Bay game... the team has looked bad... and Brady has largely failed... whenever they were matched up with a decent team.

Romo had the nerve to predict a Kansas City - Tampa Bay Super Bowl.  Everything I've seen this year tells me that Brady might be at the Super Bowl... provided he buys a ticket.

I'm gratified to see a lot of commentary on social media this morning about this topic.  I'm wondering whether any other Bills fans noticed Romo's troubling behavior yesterday?

Couldn't agree with you more.  I'm the same way, if theres a chance to see Brady or the Patriots lose I am going to watch it.  Brady's going to have to beat a  couple good teams on the road to go anywhere near the Superbowl, and I just don't see it.  When Romo was heaping praise on him yesterday, I was saying to my wife I could actually see him considering retirement after this season. I usually like Romo a lot, but did not get that at all yesterday.  Thanks for the post!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TUBSTER said:

I noticed that he made a lot of excuses for Brady.  I will say that Brady made a perfect throw to Godwin, which Romo praised, and then an interception on the next play.  I think Romo's quote on this was "That's the thing with Tom this year, he'll make an excellent throw one play and then make a throw like that later on in the possesion."  

I think Romo's words were "If Brady and the Bucs play the rest of the season like they did this second half, we could be seeing a Chiefs vs Bucs match up in the Super Bowl."

Him and Nantz also said that the Bills were "An underrated team that is really tough."  They also put the Bills in the list of Super Bowl contenders from the AFC.  I think they made up for any Brady praise with those two comments 😉

Sure... but the thing that they expressed as an opinion just happens to be a fact.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

If Brady retires, then that means he misses out on his homecoming to Foxborough when the Buccaneers play the Patriots* next year.

That game, I guarantee you, will be the Week 1 Sunday Night Football game. The overhype for that game will be astronomical. Worse than the hype of Manning Vs. Manning several years ago.

The NFL will do everything to make sure that Brady does not retire.

Confidentially... I'd pay money to see how Belichick schemes with whatever he has on defense next season to stop Brady and make him look bad. I'll bet that the relationship between Belichick and Brady had already gotten to a pretty bad place... same place that the Arians / Brady partnership is heading to.

30 minutes ago, DQW87 said:

Couldn't agree with you more.  I'm the same way, if theres a chance to see Brady or the Patriots lose I am going to watch it.  Brady's going to have to beat a  couple good teams on the road to go anywhere near the Superbowl, and I just don't see it.  When Romo was heaping praise on him yesterday, I was saying to my wife I could actually see him considering retirement after this season. I usually like Romo a lot, but did not get that at all yesterday.  Thanks for the post!

And... what's with him not shaking hands when he loses?  That is one athlete that I just can never cheer for...

• Like (+1) 1

His Brady worship is the only thing I don't like about Romo. Otherwise, he's currently the best analyst in the business and one of the best of all time.

I think it's tough for any former QB to criticize Brady, especially one who's never won a SB. Brady can just respond with, "How many rings ya got? How about league MVPs?"

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The nerve!! Oh my God!!

OK so who has so much of a better shot at making the SB from the NFC if not Tampa? Saints, yeah if Brees is healthy and even then Brees isn't the same guy as he was a couple years ago. Seattle, with that defense, maybe.  Green Bay, they've been as erratic as Tampa Bay and can say the same about LA too and probably even AZ.   What QB has the best track record of playing at a higher level in the playoffs?  I can't think of anyone other than ole Tommy boy!   They have a good shot at playing the NFC East division winner in the first round of playoffs.  Love him or hate him he is still the GOAT

It's kind of funny that you go out of your way to start a thread condemning Romo for giving what you feel is undeserving praise to Brady, and then you go out of your way to give undeserving blame to him. 

I came here to say this and you already said it! 😄 nfc isn't anywhere near as strong as the afc this year...bucs could sneak into the Super Bowl and get thrashed by KC again thats really not the craziest prediction to make lol

I dont think Tampa was a good choice for Brady as far as him fitting into the offense goes...they are still probably his best chance to win a Super Bowl though.  

I couldn't help but think that Romo was intoxicated for the Noon Thanksgiving game.  His speech was slurred and he was being silly.  Then he got better as the game went along, which only heightened my suspicions that he was sobering up as he went.

a few things.

The NFC does not have a solid, complete No. 1. Tampa Bay has almost as good a shot as anybody. 

Tony Romo gives love to the Bills. I listened to him on Bill Simmons podcast last week, and when simmons asked him for dark horse super bowl contenders, he named Arizona and Buffalo. Multiple times. He likes McDermott. And he likes Allen. Didn't have a bad thing to say, but said he is still learning the game.  Which we all know is true.bu

Arians is a stubborn coach and is not building or even tailoring very much to his Hall of Fame qb. It is his offense, and he continues to call a ton of plays that go against Brady's strengths. Other posters have already said it. Brady likes to use his rb as a safety net. he likes that edelman type of guy to go underneath. They aren't doing a lot of that stuff. they are chucking the ball down field a lot more than most teams, and without success. 

Arians is a decent coach, but teams need to build their system around the talent of their players. Especially when the actually have talented players. Do you think Peyton Manning was running an Adam Gase offense in Denver? Nope. that guy came to town and built the same offense he ran in Indy all of those years. He put in the work. And the coaches were smart enough to get the heck out of the way and give input only when and where needed. 

Brady is not what he used to be, but he is still very capable. Arians needs to figure it out. 

32 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I couldn't help but think that Romo was intoxicated for the Noon Thanksgiving game.  His speech was slurred and he was being silly.  Then he got better as the game went along, which only heightened my suspicions that he was sobering up as he went.

His "jokes" yesterday were brutal. He was trying to be funny, but sounded like he was talking to a six year old.

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

His Brady worship is the only thing I don't like about Romo. Otherwise, he's currently the best analyst in the business and one of the best of all time.

I think it's tough for any former QB to criticize Brady, especially one who's never won a SB. Brady can just respond with, "How many rings ya got? How about league MVPs?"

I agree and there is nuance in everything but on one play Brady threw a pass off a DL's helmet and Romo went on for a minute about how Mike Evans screwed up the play.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 2

On the aggregate, Tampa is kind of where we thought they'd be. It's a 9 and 7 or 10 and 6 team because the schedule breaks easy at the end. 

But I said this when Brady went there: with Arians as the coach it isn't the right choice. Brady is very buttoned up, very efficient and very rigid, and you can see that in Tampa when they actually use things that he knows how to do or when he connects with gronkowski. Playing for belichick is hard and lots of guys like to leave there, but you don't get the same winning when you play for a coach like ariens. Ultimately I think Arians is going to end up out after this year.

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I agree and there is nuance in everything but on one play Brady through a pass off a DL's helmet and Romo went on for a minute about how Mike Evans screwed up the play.

What about the play where Brady completed a 46 yard bomb and Romo was gushing about the pass. And while he was still drooling over that pass, the very next play Brady throws an under thrown INT. Romo didn't know what to say.

7 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

What about the play where Brady completed a 46 yard bomb and Romo was gushing about the pass. And while he was still drooling over that pass, the very next play Brady throws an under thrown INT. Romo didn't know what to say.

i believe he decided to stammer about how it was because the bucs were down so much, so was forgivable to be over aggressive in a bad spot. 

i think i said aftet that play that Brady had just pulled a Josh Allen. good to see that brilliant vets make the same really dumb mistakes as our guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Brady gave Romo long interview before the game. The GOAT gave him access so he can’t possibly call him out. Like his buddy Jim Gray who soft interviews his pal Tommy. It’s all on coaches or receivers. He yells at his OL and has for years. It’s ok  in NE where he’s god and they won. He loses and doesn’t shake hands unless he feels like it. He is a robot saying all the right things in forced interviews. But is insincere and it’s obvious.

I think he’s got the media doing his dirty work to force out his coach. Bring in McDaniel for next year and he can run all the plays Tommy likes with his pals Gronk & AB.  He will be LeBron/GM and bring in castoff Pats RB for dump offs and screens. But it’s a slow demise for GOAT. I for one am enjoying every minute of it! 

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

These commentators, filling up every second they can with noise and hype. 

Slow motion montages of Brady. 

Just like the JJ Watt lovefest from last years Playoff game, or the endless sappy Kyler Murray dialogue from Ian Eagle a few weeks ago. 

The media picks a narrative and they just hammer it all afternoon. 

Exactly KM had 170 yards before the HM drive. He’s talented and elusive but not an elite QB yet. Seems to be a very somber if not disinterested leader. Not surprised at all Cards lost to Hawks and Pats. If not for HM they lose three in row and out of playoffs. He’s good but let’s allow him to evolve before he’s elite. 

Edited by QLBillsFan

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

His "jokes" yesterday were brutal. He was trying to be funny, but sounded like he was talking to a six year old.

That's the part that gets me about him - the "small talk" between him and Nantz so many times is so awkward it's cringeworthy.  Nantz will try to make some offhand comment and so many times Romo either just doesn't get it, or responds in some serious, awkward way, or tries to be funny but isn't.  It happens a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Yeah... and he probably would too.  100% class!

6 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I came here to say this and you already said it! 😄 nfc isn't anywhere near as strong as the afc this year...bucs could sneak into the Super Bowl and get thrashed by KC again thats really not the craziest prediction to make lol

I dont think Tampa was a good choice for Brady as far as him fitting into the offense goes...they are still probably his best chance to win a Super Bowl though.  

Realistically, they have almost no chance to win a Super Bowl with Brady at QB.  Ironic huh?