Romo as full time Brady apologist...

Jamie Mueller

Boot lickers like Romo, evidently feel getting caught cheating every four ish years for two decades is okay, makes ya think Tony’s moral compass is a bit Fuh Ked up... birds of a feather as they say...

1 hour ago, Jamie Mueller said:

I settled in to watch the Chiefs - Buccaneers game after the Bills game ended yesterday.  I never miss a chance to see GOAT Tom Brady humbled.  What I saw (and heard) instead... from the opening kick-off until the game was over... was commentator Tony Romo's endless tire pumping for Tom Brady... even when the 43 year-old Tampa Bay quarterback had a miserable time in the first quarter.  The party line from Romo... all afternoon long... seemed to be simply this... Tom Brady wasn't failing... his team mates simply weren't able to play up to his level.

Full disclosure... I hate the Patriots... and I hate Tom Brady. No special reasons... just all the usual ones. Brady's performances this year in Tampa have generally been what I thought they would be... roughly league average quarterbacking... greatly enhanced by an extremely 'powder puff' schedule. The Bucs still have 4 games left to play... 2 of them against Atlanta and 1 against Detroit. Good God! With the sole exception of the Green Bay game... the team has looked bad... and Brady has largely failed... whenever they were matched up with a decent team.

Romo had the nerve to predict a Kansas City - Tampa Bay Super Bowl.  Everything I've seen this year tells me that Brady might be at the Super Bowl... provided he buys a ticket.

I'm gratified to see a lot of commentary on social media this morning about this topic.  I'm wondering whether any other Bills fans noticed Romo's troubling behavior yesterday?

I did notice, and I thought it was cray cray.

1 hour ago, Codyny13 said:

Romo predicted a KC-TB SB last night? That’s ridiculous...as for the love he gets, as much as we hate him, he’s had arguably the best career in the history of the league at his position, so he kinda gets a pass on many things, but I hear ya, it drives me absolutely crazy to hear coach Weiss on Sirius radio constantly refer to him as “Tommy,” like yea dude we get it, he’s your friend ya blowhard.

I find Weiss borderline unlistenable, he has a a terrible slow plodding voice for radio as it is.  And he constantly interjects who he knows like referring to Brady as "Tommy" is typical for him.

And yes he is a blowhard.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's hilarious that Tampa Bay selects the word "defense" for the part of the team that's on the field when Tom Brady is on the bench resting.  I literally laughed out loud when I caught some of the game and saw Suh drop back in coverage and lumber after the KC speed.    

That was a Kansas City track meet yesterday.  Bruce Arians is a lot like Sean McDermott and arguably most of the coaches in the league.  Even when matching up against a great tactician like Andy Reid who knows where you're going to be, they still believe in *their* scripts of plays and will dutifully execute them.  They then wonder aloud on Monday on what went wrong - it must be the players!

I don't think the TB version of Bruce Arians is the engaged Indy-era or early AZ Bruce Arians.  He looks like a guy just collecting a paycheck ever since the health problems.

Meh, no one complained about Romo when he called the Bills Patriots game in 17 and clearly wanted the Bills to win. People praised him when compared Belichick to the Grinch.

Romo spent a lot of the Thanksgiving game last year in awe of Josh Allen, no one seemed to upset about that either. SOME PEOPLE, got upset because he "allegedly" complained when Dak threw an interception to Star because they can't distinguish between Romo and Emmitt Smith SMH.

Romo simply nerds out about football and football players and it's not surprising he'd do the same about arguably the GOAT. 

Also, have you listened to Arians. The dude is a diva turned coach. Romo is anything counterbalances how much Bucs fans have gotten to hear Arians blame everyone, including Brady, but himself. Wouldn't surprise me if that also influenced Romo's tune.

2 hours ago, Jamie Mueller said:

Romo had the nerve to predict a Kansas City - Tampa Bay Super Bowl.  Everything I've seen this year tells me that Brady might be at the Super Bowl... provided he buys a ticket.

I'm gratified to see a lot of commentary on social media this morning about this topic.  I'm wondering whether any other Bills fans noticed Romo's troubling behavior yesterday?

I noticed that he made a lot of excuses for Brady.  I will say that Brady made a perfect throw to Godwin, which Romo praised, and then an interception on the next play.  I think Romo's quote on this was "That's the thing with Tom this year, he'll make an excellent throw one play and then make a throw like that later on in the possesion."  

I think Romo's words were "If Brady and the Bucs play the rest of the season like they did this second half, we could be seeing a Chiefs vs Bucs match up in the Super Bowl."

Him and Nantz also said that the Bills were "An underrated team that is really tough."  They also put the Bills in the list of Super Bowl contenders from the AFC.  I think they made up for any Brady praise with those two comments 😉

2 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

He slobbers over all these teams. A couple weeks ago he basically guaranteed a Steelers super bowl berth. Unpopular opinion, but I can do without Romo. 

Not an unpopular opinion with me.  I can most DEFINATELY do without Tony Turnover Blomo any day all day.  And throw Jesus Warner in that lot too.....

Yes Romo has a man-crush on Tom. 

But he's also got a little bit of Gruden style "love whoever he's looking at".

Overall I think Romo is one of the best announcers ever in the game. Such an in depth understanding of the game, and he articulates in a way that is suitable for everyone. I actually have a hard time thinking of anyone that provides more insight from the booth, and he consistently provides info I have never heard another announcer provide.

He's certainly not the only one with unconditional love for Tommy teriffic, and I'm pretty much numb to that at this point anyway.

These commentators, filling up every second they can with noise and hype. 

Slow motion montages of Brady. 

Just like the JJ Watt lovefest from last years Playoff game, or the endless sappy Kyler Murray dialogue from Ian Eagle a few weeks ago. 

The media picks a narrative and they just hammer it all afternoon. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Announcers are aware of who fans tune in for. They are not going to take a dump on an NFL marquee attraction, even when deserved.

That's very true.  

But it's a vicious cycle.  The fans like hearing about the stars, so the announcers keep saying nice things about the stars, so as not to alienate the fans.   That's why players like Allen seemingly burst onto the scene - the announcers are too busy building up the reputations of creaking old stars rather than building the reputations of the new stars.   

Mahomes is the exception.  

Tua's gotten hype way beyond anything that makes sense.  

As I said earlier, why are we still talking about Brady in such glowing terms, when Herbert, with worse coaching and worse receivers, is way, way outshining Brady?  

Why?  Because the announcers know who the fans tune in for.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I was shocked when he said that. Jim Nantz was quite surprised by Romo's comment on that too.

Romo tried to walk it back a bit, and explain that the Buccaneers have a shot at the Super Bowl.

I only saw the ending of the game, and I'm glad, because the whole Jedi master & padawan stuff was cringeworthy to listen to.

I'm really hoping that Tampa Bay misses the playoffs, that would be most delightful.

If Tampa misses the playoffs I guarantee Brady retires and Arians either gets fired or steps down. 

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

If Tampa misses the playoffs I guarantee Brady retires and Arians either gets fired or steps down. 

If Brady retires, then that means he misses out on his homecoming to Foxborough when the Buccaneers play the Patriots* next year.

That game, I guarantee you, will be the Week 1 Sunday Night Football game. The overhype for that game will be astronomical. Worse than the hype of Manning Vs. Manning several years ago.

The NFL will do everything to make sure that Brady does not retire.