Romo as full time Brady apologist...

Jamie Mueller

I settled in to watch the Chiefs - Buccaneers game after the Bills game ended yesterday.  I never miss a chance to see GOAT Tom Brady humbled.  What I saw (and heard) instead... from the opening kick-off until the game was over... was commentator Tony Romo's endless tire pumping for Tom Brady... even when the 43 year-old Tampa Bay quarterback had a miserable time in the first quarter.  The party line from Romo... all afternoon long... seemed to be simply this... Tom Brady wasn't failing... his team mates simply weren't able to play up to his level.

Full disclosure... I hate the Patriots... and I hate Tom Brady. No special reasons... just all the usual ones. Brady's performances this year in Tampa have generally been what I thought they would be... roughly league average quarterbacking... greatly enhanced by an extremely 'powder puff' schedule. The Bucs still have 4 games left to play... 2 of them against Atlanta and 1 against Detroit. Good God! With the sole exception of the Green Bay game... the team has looked bad... and Brady has largely failed... whenever they were matched up with a decent team.

Romo had the nerve to predict a Kansas City - Tampa Bay Super Bowl.  Everything I've seen this year tells me that Brady might be at the Super Bowl... provided he buys a ticket.

I'm gratified to see a lot of commentary on social media this morning about this topic.  I'm wondering whether any other Bills fans noticed Romo's troubling behavior yesterday?

Edited by Jamie Mueller
spelling error
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

I settled in to watch the Chiefs - Buccaneers game after the Bills game ended yesterday.  I never miss a chance to see GOAT Tom Brady humbled.  What I saw (and heard) instead... from the opening kick-off until the game was over... was commentator Tony Romo's endless tire pumping for Tom Brady... even when the 43 year-old Tampa Bay quarterback had a miserable time in the first quarter.  The party line from Romo... all afternoon long... seemed to be simply this... Tom Brady wasn't failing... his team mates simply weren't able to play up to his level.

Full disclosure... I hate the Patriots... and I hate Tom Brady. No special reasons... just all the usual ones. Brady's performances this year in Tampa have generally been what I thought they would be... roughly league average quarterbacking... greatly enhanced by an extremely 'powder puff' schedule. The Bucs still have 4 games left to play... 2 of them against Atlanta and 1 against Detroit. With the sole exception of the Green Bay game... the team has looked bad... and Brady has largely failed... whenever they were matched up with a decent team.

Romo had the nerve to predict a Kansas City - Tampa Bay Super Bowl.  Everything I've seen this year tells me that Brady might be at the Super Bowl... provided he buys a ticket.

I'm gratified to see a lot of commentary on social media this morning about this topic.  I'm wondering whether any other Bills fans noticed Romo's troubling behavior yesterday?

I thought Nantz did some of it too. 

At one point they had a long dialog about how hard it is to adjust to different style of offense, to develop communication with receivers, etc., when you don't have all the off-season training opportunities, blah, blah, blah.   Well, if all of that makes it really difficult to be successful in the first year, why have you, CBS, and every other media outlet hyped the guy like he is going to tear up the leak.   It was pure excuse-making for the fact that Brady, great as he was, needs to play in the system the Pats developed, a system that played to his considerable strengths.  

Justin Herbert didn't have any of those off-season training opportunities, either, he'd never seen an NFL defense until he replaced Tyrod Taylor, AND he doesn't have Evans, Godwin, Antonio Brown and Gronk, yet he's far outplaying Brady at QB.   Why doesn't Romo say that?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

Full disclosure... I hate the Patriots... and I hate Tom Brady. No special reasons... just all the usual ones. Brady's performances this year in Tampa have generally been what I thought they would be... roughly league average quarterbacking... greatly enhanced by an extremely 'powder puff' schedule. The Bucs still have 4 games left to play... 2 of them against Atlanta and 1 against Detroit. With the sole exception of the Green Bay game... the team has looked bad... and Brady has largely failed... whenever they were matched up with a decent team.

Romo predicted a KC-TB SB last night? That’s ridiculous...as for the love he gets, as much as we hate him, he’s had arguably the best career in the history of the league at his position, so he kinda gets a pass on many things, but I hear ya, it drives me absolutely crazy to hear coach Weiss on Sirius radio constantly refer to him as “Tommy,” like yea dude we get it, he’s your friend ya blowhard.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

My wife has pointed this out on more than one occasion. Before the start of yesterday’s game she asked me how long it would take Romo to say Brady and teammates just weren’t in sync yet.

3 minutes ago, chris heff said:

My wife has pointed this out on more than one occasion. Before the start of yesterday’s game she asked me how long it would take Romo to say Brady and teammates just weren’t in sync yet.

I often enjoy Romo's insight into games - however, his slobbering love fest for Brady and his constant excuse making for Brady's performance was hard to stomach. As a top flight analyst - which I think that Romo is - I expect better analysis.

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

Full disclosure... I hate the Patriots... and I hate Tom Brady. No special reasons... just all the usual ones. Brady's performances this year in Tampa have generally been what I thought they would be... roughly league average quarterbacking... greatly enhanced by an extremely 'powder puff' schedule. The Bucs still have 4 games left to play... 2 of them against Atlanta and 1 against Detroit. Good God! With the sole exception of the Green Bay game... the team has looked bad... and Brady has largely failed... whenever they were matched up with a decent team.

I was shocked when he said that. Jim Nantz was quite surprised by Romo's comment on that too.

Romo tried to walk it back a bit, and explain that the Buccaneers have a shot at the Super Bowl.

I only saw the ending of the game, and I'm glad, because the whole Jedi master & padawan stuff was cringeworthy to listen to.

I'm really hoping that Tampa Bay misses the playoffs, that would be most delightful.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

He slobbers over all these teams. A couple weeks ago he basically guaranteed a Steelers super bowl berth. Unpopular opinion, but I can do without Romo. 

Come to think of it... Romo was also insufferable when the Bills beat Dallas handily last season.  He barely mentioned the Bills until the game was virtually over. I really don't see what all the fuss is about over Romo as a colour guy.  You just can't be that biased on a network broadcast. 

Brady has the best weapons he's had at his disposal since 2007, if not ever. The fact of the matter is Father Time is starting to catch up with Tom. You could see it last night on some of his throws. Arians' offense is also not the typical dink-and-dunk style he's used to. There's no James White in the backfield, no Edelman or Welker in the slot, and the TE's aren't used the same. It's a whole new ball game. We are watching the waning moments of a HOF career and I hope it ends as bitterly miserable for the guy as possible. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bulldog said:

I often enjoy Romo's insight into games - however, his slobbering love fest for Brady and his constant excuse making for Brady's performance was hard to stomach. As a top flight analyst - which I think that Romo is - I expect better analysis.

I genuinely liked Romo the first couple years in the booth.

Now? Not so much. He's starting to have a John Madden feel to him. In other words, a little of him goes a long way

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

He slobbers over all these teams. A couple weeks ago he basically guaranteed a Steelers super bowl berth. Unpopular opinion, but I can do without Romo. 

Romo is a good announcer, but as a human being he suffers from perception bias like most of us.  And his perceptions of Brady are of a great, venerated QB.

So he sees things that Brady does well - he did have a couple of very nice passes yesterday - and kind of skims over things that Brady is now doing poorly.

TB-KC Superbowl?  Who Dat?

Romo is unbelievably overrated as an announcer. He's fine, I don't think he's bad, but I don't get the fascination. 

People were blown away at first with his ability to predict plays, which was really cool. Other than that I really don't think he's anything special and can be annoying at times. 

I'll never forget his "hopefully it's just a cramp" as he was looking at prescotts ankle form a 90 degree angle with his leg. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

The nerve!! Oh my God!!

OK so who has so much of a better shot at making the SB from the NFC if not Tampa? Saints, yeah if Brees is healthy and even then Brees isn't the same guy as he was a couple years ago. Seattle, with that defense, maybe.  Green Bay, they've been as erratic as Tampa Bay and can say the same about LA too and probably even AZ.   What QB has the best track record of playing at a higher level in the playoffs?  I can't think of anyone other than ole Tommy boy!   They have a good shot at playing the NFC East division winner in the first round of playoffs.  Love him or hate him he is still the GOAT

It's kind of funny that you go out of your way to start a thread condemning Romo for giving what you feel is undeserving praise to Brady, and then you go out of your way to give undeserving blame to him. 

• Like (+1) 2

very sick of Tampa Bay.  I went from thinking they were an interesting team to rooting for them to lose every game.  It doesnt help that most Patriots fans are now bandwagoning for the Buccaneers because god-forbid their 'favorite' team isnt a top Super Bowl contender one time.

Edited by May Day 10

I want Tampa Bay to make the playoffs, simply because the spotlight, the stakes, and therefore enjoyment of watching Brady fail, are magnified. 

I also want him to play well enough that he comes back next season. AFC East plays that division, so we get to see the Bills vs him and NE vs Brady. 

I really look forward to having that experience of seeing Brady vs NE, especially since I couldn't tell you today who I would be rooting for.  

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

Atlanta has been no pushover since they fired Quinn...they just cleaned the Raiders clock yesterday. I wouldn't be counting those as 2 easy wins. They might be lucky to split those games the way the two teams are trending.

50 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

He did make a valid point regarding their offense and how its confused about who it wants to be.  They run the ball well and play action with 2 TEs but then you have Godwin/brown on the bench.  Then when they put all their WRs out there they run a very vertical offense without play action.