Figured out why I feel amazing as a fan currently... Sean McDermott is an elite head coach.

DollaBills

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is just nonsense. McDermott has more wins against teams currently with winning records than any other coach this season. The three teams he has lost to are 24-9.... pretty sure that is the best win % of any collection of victorious opponents too.

If he loses again in the first round of the playoffs there will be a legitimate reason to ask if that is his ceiling as a coach but so far this regular season he is doing as good a job as any coach in the NFL and I include Mike Tomlin and the 10-0 Steelers in that.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They crush teams sometimes? So do the Atlanta Falcons should Raheem Morris be in your elite category too?

Please don’t encourage him to reconsider his ‘happy place’, GB. Watching Eyore’s implode is why I come here everyday. 

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

These are the best coaches in the NFL... They either have next-level smarts or an elite ability to motivate players to perform.

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

8-3 and first place in the division and you are depressed? I hope you weren't around during the 1984 and 85 seasons.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Greg S said:

8-3 and first place in the division and you are depressed? I hope you weren't around during the 1984 and 85 seasons.

This exactly.  I'm not saying that yesterday's game was a master stroke, but my god... 1984 and 1985 were a special brand of special.  Some need to get a grip!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Again, 8-3/division means little if you're going nowhere in the conference. Just being good isn't good enough.

Just now, Groin said:

This exactly.  I'm not saying that yesterday's game was a master stroke, but my god... 1984 and 1985 were a special brand of special.  Some need to get a grip!

It seems like you're of the "At least we're good/it could be a lot worse" mentality, which I don't subscribe to at all.

28 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The reason I say this about Vrabel is he clearly motivates that team to just come out and stomp people semi-regularly. They come up big in big games, and they just crush teams sometimes.

McDermott's Bills do not do this.

I hope you're right!

Vrabel's Titans also barely beat a lot of terrible teams (Jags, Texans, Vikings, Broncos) and lost by 11 to the Bengals. On the flipside, McDermott's Bills have not lost to a bad team since arguably the Browns last year and have beat four teams with seven wins or more. Yes, they lost to the Titans, but even you have to admit that the circumstances of that game were a little weird. Bills had to prepare for two different undefeated teams while the Titans got a bye week-plus. 

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It seems like you're of the "At least we're good/it could be a lot worse" mentality, which I don't subscribe to at all.

The majority of people here expected this to be a 10-6 or 11-5 team this season coupled with at least one playoff win.  That's a reasonable expectation and also means that this team has grown, and continues to grow.

What did you expect for this season?

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

ewww

I went there.  #sorrynotsorry 🙂

Edited by Groin

Everyone else is depressed because of fans like you. Just do us a favor and leave. Go root for one of your supposed "championship" coaches.

How many years did it take for Reid to win a superbowl? How many Superbowls has Vrabel won? This is just ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Again, 8-3/division means little if you're going nowhere in the conference. Just being good isn't good enough.

I subscribe to the "this 8-3 is a lot better than you think it is." We are not blowing teams out but we are beating good teams and doing it pretty consistently. Can we do it in the post season remains a question. Just don't think it is worth worrying about right now. If we fail in January there will be ample time for an autopsy in the dead months of the NFL calendar.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It seems you are of the "I know everything that will happen and my opinion is reality" mentality.

You are just plain wrong. The Bills are good enough right now to make a run in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

These are the best coaches in the NFL... They either have next-level smarts or an elite ability to motivate players to perform.

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

So you have played fantasy land in your own head before anything has happened ans determined this is going to be true. You live in fantasyland rather than reality at this point.

And you are depressed about something that hasn't even happened yet because you already have determined it will in the future? Have you consulted the precogs in Minority Report?

Unbelievable...sometimes I wish a board existed that we could go to that eliminated nonsense threads like this. It is depressing for me to have to come to thia board and read this type of content.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

What were any of these guys before they won a SB?  Many of them were fired at various times.

Yeah, it took Reid decades of coaching to win a Superbowl. He was actually criticized for his failure to perform in the playoffs and get to the big game until he finally did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Groin said:

The majority of people here expected this to be a 10-6 or 11-5 team this season coupled with at least one playoff win.  That's a reasonable expectation and also means that this team has grown, and continues to grow.

What did you expect for this season?

I went there.  #sorrynotsorry 🙂

I was hoping for 12-4 and to be a true contender, a juggernaut if you will. We MIGHT get to 12-4, but there's little hope of a deep playoff run. I wanted to go into next year talked about as a legitimate Super Bowl favorite, top 3 type of team. But we haven't shown the ability to crush teams and be elite.

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

So you have played fantasy land in your own head before anything has happened ans determined this is going to be true. You live in fantasyland rather than reality at this point.

And you are depressed about something that hasn't even happened yet because you already have determined it will in the future? Have you consulted the precogs in Minority Report?

Unbelievable...sometimes I wish a board existed that we could go to that eliminated nonsense threads like this. It is depressing for me to have to come to thia board and read this type of content.

ya gotta know I’m trying! They’re like midnight munchin’, shower taking gremlins. Kill one, 5 more pop up out of nowhere.

🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I was hoping for 12-4 and to be a true contender, a juggernaut if you will. We MIGHT get to 12-4, but there's little hope of a deep playoff run. I wanted to go into next year talked about as a legitimate Super Bowl favorite, top 3 type of team. But we haven't shown the ability to crush teams and be elite.

You’re depressed as a fan because the bills aren’t elite yet?  I get it, but you’re missing out on a lot of fun. Why let the possibility of losing ruin that for you?  The playoffs are an entirely different season. 

• Like (+1) 1