Figured out why I feel amazing as a fan currently... Sean McDermott is an elite head coach.

DollaBills

10 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

These are the best coaches in the NFL... They either have next-level smarts or an elite ability to motivate players to perform.

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

Bro, I'm not saying that McD is the best coach in the NFL but we have a really good head coach.

Vrabel and Shanahan haven't even won a SB yet. You have Reid on your list too. How long did it take him to win a SB?

Keep your head up, bro!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

These are the best coaches in the NFL... They either have next-level smarts or an elite ability to motivate players to perform.

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear...

What those other coaches have in common is they've done something of note in the playoffs...........4 of them have won SB's..........Shanahan advanced to one last season and Vrabel won playoff games against the defending champ and #1 seed in last year's playoffs.

Until McD actually does these things his legitimacy as one of the best will be suspect............people can be mad about it but that's how it goes............if you don't make a bunch of noise when it matters the league and it's observers don't hear you.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The reason I say this about Vrabel is he clearly motivates that team to just come out and stomp people semi-regularly. They come up big in big games, and they just crush teams sometimes.

McDermott's Bills do not do this.

I hope you're right!

Semi regularly haha thats the mark of an elite coach right there.  Its honestly pretty amazing what McDermott has been able to do with the team and cap situation he inherited.  The dude completely turned the roster over.  Even Andy Reid who had much more head coaching experience didn't make it past the divisional round of the playoffs until his 5th season in KC

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What those other coaches have in common is they've done something of note in the playoffs...........4 of them have won SB's..........Shanahan advanced to one last season and Vrabel won playoff games against the defending champ and #1 seed in last year's playoffs.

Until McD actually does these things his legitimacy as one of the best will be suspect............people can be mad about it but that's how it goes............if you don't make a bunch of noise when it matters the league and it's observers don't hear you.

I think the part of the op people are arguing is 'he won't ever be an elite coach' the jury is still very much out on that one but he is trending in that direction. He got a few coach of the year votes last season so obviously he's getting some national attention.  This season results wise could surpass last year against a much more difficult schedule 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And that is for sure a fair question. Especially if they go 1 and done in the post-season again. But putting a below .500 career Head Coach and Mike Vrabel in a list of "elite coaches" come on now. 

19 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

No John Harbaugh?  Come on man, putting Vrabel and Shanahan on that list right now is sort of silly.  I didn’t read through this whole thread but in general the level of “concern” about McD is ridiculous.  Now 35-26 in the regular season and has started beating winning teams as well.  Yeah, yeah, he needs to do it in the playoffs but Bills fans are some of the silliest around.  Better yet, McD is the first person to admit he needs to continue to evolve.

I’ve taken a back seat and stayed out of this forum for the past couple of weeks and I’ll tell you, my level of enjoyment in watching the team has grown.  Last Sunday was a perfect stage for an upset.  What did the Bills do?  They shut down Herbert’s deep passing game, were more than competent against the run, and pretty much controlled the entire game but for a 7-play totally weird stretch in the 4th quarter.  They are one play from 9-2, they control their own destiny, and it looks like the D is coming back into form.

When we stop worrying about winning and start worrying about margin of victory we’ve lost our way.

• Like (+1) 2

I think he is growing just like the team and is one of the most respected coaches in the NFL.

Notice how all those info leaks stopped as soon as this regime took over?

His players love him and so does the rest of his staff.

Edited by JMF2006
forgot a W

10 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Maybe I was suicidal in other seasons 😀

You have been conditioned to accept losing. ;) 

It may take a while to truly enjoy being at the top of the league now since this team was at the bottom for so long ;) 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

Horrible take. Like, godlike.

👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎

I try to avoid non sense like this but I'm replying on this occasion because I have seen a few of these. People undersell how mammoth a task McD & Beane had when they entered in 2017.

When they took over the team:

-17 year playoff drought which had turned into a major weight in itself on the team

-roster that had major cap issues

-reputation nationally as a franchise that couldn't get it right and players avoided

-QB in Taylor who was a bridge QB with no actual franchise QB in the wings

Within four years they've done the following:

-ended playoff drought

-made playoffs in 2 of 3 years and most likely 3 of 4 years

-will probably win first division title in 25 years

-found and developed franchise QB

-have become a franchise players will go to. No way Diggs comes to Buffalo prior to McD, maybe year 1 of Rex but I still doubt it without overpaying him the way they did McCoy

-Reputation league wide is the Bills are a strong organization that teams should model rebuilding

What has been done in the last 4 years is beyond commendable at this point. If 4 years from now they lack playoff success etc... sure start to say McD can't get it done. But the Bills literally just opened their window for winning and McD is the big reason for that.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I try to avoid non sense like this but I'm replying on this occasion because I have seen a few of these. People undersell how mammoth a task McD & Beane had when they entered in 2017.

When they took over the team:

-17 year playoff drought which had turned into a major weight in itself on the team

-roster that had major cap issues

-reputation nationally as a franchise that couldn't get it right and players avoided

-QB in Taylor who was a bridge QB with no actual franchise QB in the wings

Within four years they've done the following:

-ended playoff drought

-made playoffs in 2 of 3 years and most likely 3 of 4 years

-will probably win first division title in 25 years

-found and developed franchise QB

-have become a franchise players will go to. No way Diggs comes to Buffalo prior to McD, maybe year 1 of Rex but I still doubt it without overpaying him the way they did McCoy

-Reputation league wide is the Bills are a strong organization that teams should model rebuilding

What has been done in the last 4 years is beyond commendable at this point. If 4 years from now they lack playoff success etc... sure start to say McD can't get it done. But the Bills literally just opened their window for winning and McD is the big reason for that.

it's amazing how some people don't want to give any credit to this.  is this a finished product completely?  i don't think so yet, but this team is in such a better place than it was before this staff took over.  there such a feel with some posters that if buffalo isn't the best team in the nfl this second, it's a complete failure.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, nucci said:

if you're depressed about a first place 8-3 team, there is nothing I can say to help you

1984 and 1985 was depressing. I remember a good crowd (usually opening day) had 45,000 - 50,000. That was back when the capacity was 80,020. By the end of the year they had a Sabres like crowd at Rich Stadium. The people who are complaining about 8-3 and a 1st place team well I hope they weren't around back in 84-85 for their sakes.

19 minutes ago, teef said:

it's amazing how some people don't want to give any credit to this.  is this a finished product completely?  i don't think so yet, but this team is in such a better place than it was before this staff took over.  there such a feel with some posters that if buffalo isn't the best team in the nfl this second, it's a complete failure.  

The problem is people look at KC with Mahomes which was instant success or Payton in NOLA or even BB in NE. What they fail to recognize is Mahomes walked into a winning team with an amazing HC whose offensive mind is perhaps the best in the sport, Payton in NOLA got gifted Brees for free and their roster had talent, and BB got Brady and that was that (plus Pats had been relatively successful for years by that point). If the Detroit Lions did the exact same thing people would be worshipping their coach. That is how bad things were in Buffalo and irrelevant the team had become which people have now forgot. Like you said it isn't a finished product but in a sense thats the best part knowing the best is still to come.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Greg S said:

1984 and 1985 was depressing. I remember a good crowd (usually opening day) had 45,000 - 50,000. That was back when the capacity was 80,020. By the end of the year they had a Sabres like crowd at Rich Stadium. The people who are complaining about 8-3 and a 1st place team well I hope they weren't around back in 84-85 for their sakes.

I didn't miss a game those years...19K for last home game

You're not good enough until you are. Right? I mean I'm hard on Josh Allen and somewhat McDermott for clock management but these guys are both heading towards being greats in their field. Fans need to understand though that many times before players and coaches look like they're going to be great early on and then fall back.