Figured out why I feel amazing as a fan currently... Sean McDermott is an elite head coach.

DollaBills

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I was hoping for 12-4 and to be a true contender, a juggernaut if you will. We MIGHT get to 12-4, but there's little hope of a deep playoff run. I wanted to go into next year talked about as a legitimate Super Bowl favorite, top 3 type of team. But we haven't shown the ability to crush teams and be elite.

Who says that there's little hope of a deep playoff run?

Had someone told me 3 weeks ago that the Saints weren't going deep this year I would've laughed.  Had someone told me that the 9ers would be bereft of healthy players, or that they might move on from Jimmy G, I would've been incredulous.  That's two coaches out of your master list.

KC is exceptional plain and simple, and the Steelers are blowing my mind with how they've hung in there (cue: cute cat hanging in there gif).  The Titans are wildcards like the Bills on some level.  Literally anything can happen over the next month, and given this wacky season -- probably will.

You do you, but my advice is to relax a bit.

59 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

These are the best coaches in the NFL... They either have next-level smarts or an elite ability to motivate players to perform.

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

Hey Jose.... you got me hooked up t the sentence: ¨I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked...¨either you are a relatively new fan to the Bills, or you are just depressed period. I am not a Doctor, so my pep talk ends right here... good luck with your well being man! ....

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Unbelievable...sometimes I wish a board existed that we could go to that eliminated nonsense threads like this. It is depressing for me to have to come to thia board and read this type of content.

I wonder if it would bother you if I posted a thread saying I think McDermott is an elite coach and will win multiple Super Bowls during his tenure. That is arguably much more unrealistic than what I'm saying, but I suspect it would be welcomed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

These are the best coaches in the NFL... They either have next-level smarts or an elite ability to motivate players to perform.

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

McDermott reminds me of Harbaugh - who has a super bowl under his belt.  Tomlin is 8-7 in the playoffs, so is Payton.  

Coaches i feel like should be in the conversation there are Harbaugh, Carroll, McVay.  

Edited by dneveu

After a nearly 20 year playoff drought, having a team that makes the playoffs just about every year is a nice change of pace! Have we forgotten watching 4-7 Bills teams playing out the string with a rotation of nobodies at QB and the hottest topic being firing the head coach in December? 

McDermott and Beane deserve a ton of credit for completely turning this franchise around. 

As far as post-season success, standards will be raised, but you have to be in the tournament to win a title. 

No coach is perfect, and "he can't win the big one!" is what everyone says... until you win the big one. 

It was the one "yeah, butt" about Andy Reid. Talk about a guy who coached forever but "couldn't win the Super Bowl." 

Edited by TheFunPolice

i'm going the other way....

mcdermott is a top 10 coach.....bills are 8-3 with so many holes to fill at TE, LB, CB, OL,  RB

it's beane who needs to step it up....he's good....but gets more credit than i think is deserved. 

i want beane to stay...i'm just sayin.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I wonder if it would bother you if I posted a thread saying I think McDermott is an elite coach and will win multiple Super Bowls during his tenure. That is arguably much more unrealistic than what I'm saying, but I suspect it would be welcomed.

I would tell you to pump the breaks and that McDermott is unproven in the playoffs.

I routinely criticize both extremes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Is it? Based on what? The fantasy land projections you are using 10 years out in your own mind? The multiple drafts of players not even in high school yet that you see all the teams engaging in? Have you also done all the trades in these drafts too even though you have no idea what draft position any of the teams will have? Have you already assigned free agents that haven't even made it to the NFL yet to the various teams after their rookie deals expire on teams that haven't even drafted them yet? Did you simply play Madden 10 years out in franchise mode to come to this conclusion?

On what rational logical data and evidence are you basing this on? I would like to know.

More than anything how good a coach is or isn't over a given period depends on how much talent they have at their disposal. Since this is impossible to know projecting into the future is pointless. Also at 68, Bellicheat won't be around much longer.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

I see the Bills as having a great chance to make a crazy run and win a Super Bowl (or maybe 2) sometime in the next few years, but I don't see a dynasty sort of team.

I think McDermott and the Bills will most resemble the Steelers of the past 15 years. Seemingly always in it, but never really seen as THE team to beat. I mean, the Steelers are unbeaten but all you hear is "yeah, butt" from commentators. Nobody is saying they aren't a great team, but it doesn't seem like they are getting the hype or attention that an unbeaten team ought to. 

If the Bills have their type of run for 15 years, winning a SB or 2, I'll take it, though! 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

I think you forgot that McD took a garbage roster his first year and went 9-7 to end the playoff drought.

Plus his players seem to love him which means a lot - just look at the reaction from current and former Lions players to the firing of Fat Matt Pat in D-Town. 

39 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

I get the sentiment. McDermott inspires very little confidence when you hear him speak. He doesn't appear to be a guy who can match wits with a good coach, let alone outfox one. I'm also of the belief that Bills' ceiling is capped with him and that does lead to a certain apathy. But worse coaches than him have gotten lucky here and there. It really all rests on how good Allen can be and how much talent Beane can surround him with.

I'm sorry he doesn't inspire you. He's really bad at the whole pumping the media and the fans up, definitely a bad line on his resume...we all know the coaches that do this well tend to win more games. It's such a shame he connects with the players and motivates them. I hate when players love their coach and are winning footballs games. 

I watched him get outfoxed this year by so many great coaches, the likes of Sean McVay, Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll and Jon Gruden. I really wish he could have beat those guys this year, because if he had we'd be around 1st place in the division!

8 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I see the Bills as having a great chance to make a crazy run and win a Super Bowl (or maybe 2) sometime in the next few years, but I don't see a dynasty sort of team.

I think McDermott and the Bills will most resemble the Steelers of the past 15 years. Seemingly always in it, but never really seen as THE team to beat. I mean, the Steelers are unbeaten but all you hear is "yeah, butt" from commentators. Nobody is saying they aren't a great team, but it doesn't seem like they are getting the hype or attention that an unbeaten team ought to. 

If the Bills have their type of run for 15 years, winning a SB or 2, I'll take it, though! 

Yeah, I mean they've pretty openly said this is their goal. They want sustainable success... because the playoffs are a crapshoot... the more often you are there the better chance you have of winning it all.

• Like (+1) 1

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

OMG. Crawl back from whenst you came.

We FINALLY have a coach with a winning mindset, a man coaches, players respect who has transformed our culture and you are DEPRESSED? 

This thread ought be high on the list of dumbest posts of the year.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Bills were 8-3 this time last year: The Bills are 8-3 again having played a much tougher schedule, missing more players and can still get better going forward.

Can't some of you just enjoy this???

8-3 because we haven't beaten one team with a winning record.

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

8-3 because we haven't beaten one team with a winning record.

Is this a really good benchmark though (and I note that, for example, the Bills beat the Seahawks and the Rams and the Raiders)?  The vast majority of winning teams have bolstered their records by beating lesser opponents, then had enough talent and coaching to get them over the hump against better opponents in the playoffs.

48 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Unbelievable...sometimes I wish a board existed that we could go to that eliminated nonsense threads like this. It is depressing for me to have to come to thia board and read this type of content.

Actually, I'm hoping maybe someone can start a positivity thread after each win, where negative comments aren't allowed (they permeate most other threads).  I would seek that out.  After a win I like to rejoice with other like minded fans.  Those who don't like it could always just not read it and go to the other threads - yet I doubt some posters would be able to resist and the thread would need monitoring.

I really wished we had one after the New England win.  As a long time Bills fan, I was ecstatic.  Could be the signature and defining win for the Bills - a division winning, changing of the guard type historic win.  Yet most of the threads were depressed.  What a letdown.  And in retrospect that win continues to be significant - they beat the Ravens and AZ.

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

The other massively encouraging thing about McD is that he has shown time and time again the willingness to grow and change (ie. data analysis based game day decision making, cutting the chord early on a "mistake" player,  ). He is developing just like our QB is.

This.  McDermott is a growth-minded coach.  If he doesn't succeed, he will keep grinding and trying again and again until he does, including looking in the mirror to try to identify what he's doing wrong.

• Like (+1) 2

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

Maybe you would happier as fan as other team?  Try it out.

• Thank you (+1) 1