Figured out why I feel amazing as a fan currently... Sean McDermott is an elite head coach.

DollaBills

he original poster that started this is suffering from "Imposter Syndrome by proxy"

As i'm sure you've been informed - it is WAY too early to tell what kind of HC McD is considering it's his 4th year and if you really really want to look at it fairly - it's only his second (year 1 was not "his" team and year 2 was "eat" cap dead space to actually rebuild).

Just a few more notes.... Vrabel? A guy who inherited a true playoff team and then got lucky that his bet on Tannehill worked out? He's some amazing coach to you? And you base this on 2 years of coaching (this being his third?).... really....

Also every other coach on that list is someone that is working with a future HOF QB - Minus Shanahan - who .... really? he has one good year and you think he's some coaching guru? Man... it's so great to have a coach that has records of:

6 - 10

4 - 12

13 - 3

5 - 9 (Currently and yes I'm aware of the injury bug for this year).

And lastly Belichick .... great coach ... will go down as probably the greatest. BUT - his entire coaching career will be tied to lucking into on of the greatest QBs to ever play that also frequently took pay cuts to allow for other players to get paid and stay. His entire HoF coaching career will forever be tied to a Mo Lewis hit.

What McD has done is nothing short of amazing and you can not compare him to half of your list due to longevity while the other half of your list is baseless trash. 

*Last not: ANDY REID was literally the #1 can't win it all coach prior to last year..... GTFOH

34 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

The better question to ask is why did someone post such a thread .   

Because everyone has, and is entitled to, their own opinion on things. Just because you may not agree with someones opinion does not mean they are not able to express something on their mind.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

Because everyone has, and is entitled to, their own opinion on things. Just because you may not agree with someones opinion does not mean they are not able to express something on their mind.

Sure everyone can have an opinion.  But if I say that I want to poop this morning , should I post it here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Sal is always peddling easy answers.

Yes,  by a lot of metrics the Bills look like a team that is lucky to be 8-3.

But that doesn't mean they need a "label" to explain that away.   

And being the worst second half defense in the NFL is not really the definition of resourceful...........struggling over and over in 3rd quarters is not being resourceful.........an inability to adapt is not resourcefulness.

The Bills are a good team with a difference making QB..........they have had some issues with discipline in assignments and focus and are probably one playmaker on either side of the ball from being able to finish lesser teams much earlier........but they have the potential to get better still this year too.

And the coaching staff has done just that.  McD and co have turned our 3rd quarter frowns upside down since you made this post.  3 games.  3 good 3rd qtr performances.  They’ve adapted 

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. 

0-2 in playoffs and 1-6 against the Pats ...

... in the first three years of a near-complete rebuild.

Being bad that early in a rebuild is and by anyone with any sense should be completely expected.

Nice necro-bump.

This. It's an old thread, but it was ridiculous the instant he posted it.

It was my opinion that they took a 10-6 level team into the preseason of 2017. 

You thought they were a 4-12 unit.

You were proven wrong.  

They weren't in some rebuild from the ground up.......they inherited a lot of very good players but they made a conscious decision to turn over the high-leverage-having young talent in Gilmore, Woods, Watkins and Darby and Dareus and Glenn(in that order).   All high draft picks.......all entering FA years or core young talent and recently paid.   That type of player is in position to dictate the terms of their employment and that wasn't congruent with new, unproven regime trying to preach a message of "trust our process".

In 2017 they returned an offensive line and starting QB, RB and TE that had lead the entire NFL in big plays and rushing in both 2015 and 2016..........the defense still had 3/4 of the DL that dominated under Schwartz.   It wasn't a junk team but the choices they were making were making them older so not replacing them wasn't an option.

But change like that is constant EVERYWHERE in the NFL......it's no miracle to do major re-work on a roster in a short period..........look at the Patriots rosters in 3 year increments from 2007-2019 and you will find "near-complete" roster turnover over and over and over. 

The key is they got a QB.    For all the other work they have done they wouldn't be able to win against a "good teams" schedule if they didn't have a difference maker there.   

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/30/2020 at 12:19 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

We're 11-3!  Enjoy it!

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And the coaching staff has done just that.  McD and co have turned our 3rd quarter frowns upside down since you made this post.  3 games.  3 good 3rd qtr performances.  They’ve adapted 

I expected the defense to get better............what people were saying was a lack of bulk inside was just a lack of technique and want-to and those issues appear to be mostly resolved.    

Whether they have enough playmaking in them on defense to impact Mahomes and keep a KC offense under 30 points in Arrowhead is another story............but if John Brown comes back strong and they continue on this offensive trajectory they may actually be able to go toe-to-toe in shootouts with teams with solid defenses the likes of KC and Green Bay(or a healthy New Orleans).  

To me this Monday game is still important.    The Pats need to be put in their place.   They have like $70m-$80M in cap space in what should be a great buyers market for free agents and I don't want them going 1-1 against Buffalo and what's left of their current roster still thinking Belichick owns McDermott and that they'd be 8-0 against him but for a last second Cam fumble near the goal line.

• Like (+1) 1

We know McD is a good coach. We don't know if he is an elite coach. We will know that come playoff time. In order for me to feel that McD is an elite coach I want to see this team in the AFCCG. If he can win 2 playoff games and play KC in a tough game and lose that's fine and I really like where this team is headed. 

If he wins one playoff game and loses in the divisional round then I am still good with him but a bit disappointed. If he loses round one that is an abject failure and I will be questioning his ability to coach in the playoffs.

We aren't there yet. So let's just try to get that 2 seed locked down. 

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I expected the defense to get better............what people were saying was a lack of bulk inside was just a lack of technique and want-to and those issues appear to be mostly resolved.    

Whether they have enough playmaking in them on defense to impact Mahomes and keep a KC offense under 30 points in Arrowhead is another story............but if John Brown comes back strong and they continue on this offensive trajectory they may actually be able to go toe-to-toe in shootouts with teams with solid defenses the likes of KC and Green Bay(or a healthy New Orleans).  

To me this Monday game is still important.    The Pats need to be put in their place.   They have like $70m-$80M in cap space in what should be a great buyers market for free agents and I don't want them going 1-1 against Buffalo and what's left of their current roster still thinking Belichick owns McDermott and that they'd be 8-0 against him but for a last second Cam fumble near the goal line.

Agreed.  A win similar to our first meeting isn’t what I’m looking for.  Would love to beat them down and embarrass them on mnf.  Making a statement that this is our division now

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It was my opinion that they took a 10-6 level team into the preseason of 2017. 

You thought they were a 4-12 unit.

You were proven wrong.  

They weren't in some rebuild from the ground up.......they inherited a lot of very good players but they made a conscious decision to turn over the high-leverage-having young talent in Gilmore, Woods, Watkins and Darby and Dareus and Glenn(in that order).   All high draft picks.......all entering FA years or core young talent and recently paid.   That type of player is in position to dictate the terms of their employment and that wasn't congruent with new, unproven regime trying to preach a message of "trust our process".

In 2017 they returned an offensive line and starting QB, RB and TE that had lead the entire NFL in big plays and rushing in both 2015 and 2016..........the defense still had 3/4 of the DL that dominated under Schwartz.   It wasn't a junk team but the choices they were making were making them older so not replacing them wasn't an option.

But change like that is constant EVERYWHERE in the NFL......it's no miracle to do major re-work on a roster in a short period..........look at the Patriots rosters in 3 year increments from 2007-2019 and you will find "near-complete" roster turnover over and over and over. 

The key is they got a QB.    For all the other work they have done they wouldn't be able to win against a "good teams" schedule if they didn't have a difference maker there.   

Lot of truth to that. We agreed at the time that even after the Sammy and Darby trades in 2017 this was a .500 team that with the bounce of a ball or two could scrape into the post season which is exactly what they did. 

That said, they chose to go the rebuild route. I said back then that even though there were alternatives I supported the plan. 

They deserve a lot of credit for where they are having done a tear down. Though you are right if they miss on Allen this does not look the same. But they didn't. 

From here though they get judged as a regime that has championship potential. And I suspect that is exactly how they want it.

• Like (+1) 2

Good lord...

Both McD and Beane were rookies coming to Buffalo three short seasons ago...First season playoffs with Tyrod Taylor at QB... 

McD in his first season righted a sinking ship torpedoed by Wrex Ryan, a 7-9 team in 2016. Ryan took the #4 overall defense with the very best D line, pass rush in the NFL and ruined it. McD rebuilt the defense the way he wanted it and one season later it became the #3 overall defense in 2018. #1 passing yards allowed. 

Kyle Williams, Lorax, Jerry Hughes were the only starters from 2016 for 2018. Now the only one left is Hughes in 2020. What offensive starters are still with Buffalo in 2020 from 2016, Dion Dawkins? That's almost a complete roster turnover for a new regime... to replace malcontents and guys who didn't buy into the new approach. 

First season 9-7 playoffs, year two 6-10 with a rookie QB... and lets not forget cash strapped because of the past regimes over paying for bums. Couldn't rebuild the O line or offense because of the cap issues. 2019 10-6. Playoffs again. 

At 11-3 the Buffalo Bills are already better than they have been in the last 20 years. It was 1999 that the Bills went 11-5 under Wade Phillips! This years team could finish with that record or 12-4, 13-3. the last time the Bills won 13 games was in 1990-1991 and super bowls. 

So far this regime has equaled what the Bills did under Marv Levy / Bill Polian in playoffs in three seasons. Actually better as this regime has already been to the playoffs 2x now.  If you think about it Jim Kelly went to the USFL before Buffalo so he had that playing experience behind him when he hit the NFL. Josh Allen was very, very raw as he didn't attend a big time college and only had two seasons starting there. 

From what I see, the sky is the limit for this regime and could get to a super bowl this season. One of the top offenses in the entire league (#5 overall) and a defense that looks to be getting better with each week. Josh Allen is looking like the hottest QB in the league. The Bills are hot right now and I doubt any team wants to play them.

A great GM, coaching staff, great owners, great players. It's an exciting time to be a Buffalo Bills fan! 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

Sure everyone can have an opinion.  But if I say that I want to poop this morning , should I post it here.

Have you read some of the replies here over the years? By saying you want to poop, would be a breath of fresh air (figuratively, not literally). 

Giuseppe, you really are questioning responses to a moronic thread you’re the one that started.  Have you even looked at the records?  Have you seen the Pellesaro poll by GM’s that named McD the coach of the year this year and btw, last year the best coaching job in the NFL, not to mention Beane the best GM.  

Thank god football people who know more than you feel absolutely opposite of you.  If you don’t want contentious responses, think for a minute before you post.  I really don’t care so have a Merry Xmas, and maybe you rethink making these kinds of posts before you hit send.  If you said, maybe he should challenge differently, clock management differently, those are all very reasonable posts, although I thought he has never fine.  But to have some of you’re guys above McD is kind of silly.

The Xmas wishes are sincere and have a nice night and morning with you’re family.  After this year, we all need it.  Anyway,  maybe in a couple of weeks you reconsider you’re position.  Just a thought.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 12/2/2020 at 3:10 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Correct......but name one situation where you can compare HC hires/setups/rebuilds etc.. as "apples to apples"?

No two are exactly alike.

It's a non-argument.

In the NFL most observers/critics/players/coaches fill in the unknown with absolutes to decide how much to invest on the field...........and that's how a guy like Belichick keeps finding dudes to run thru the wall for him.

Wonderful job Belichick did this year getting guys to run through a wall... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1