Figured out why I feel amazing as a fan currently... Sean McDermott is an elite head coach.

DollaBills

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Quibbling 101.

"Quibbling"? That's all you got? So, we should ONLY judge coaching excellence without regard to dozens of variables?

By your simplistic metric, Tomlin sucked last year; Belichick and Shannahan are bad coaches this year; if Vrabel doesn't go to the Super Bowl he has failed and Reid needs to repeat or be labeled a failure. There are no excuses. 

At least you are one more keyboard expert I can ignore. 

• Haha (+1) 1

As someone who believed McDermott was a dime a dozen defensive coach who serious doubts about him after 2 years, the guy has more than proven himself as a coach.  I was wondering about him being A-men conservative fueled position coach and the guy has continued to surprise. Much respect.

now, we just need someone to do the challenges for him. 

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep 

0-2 in playoffs

1-6 versus chief rival

I am looking forward to McD doing what it takes to engineer a second defeat of the Patriots and an extended playoff run.......but I'm not a Bills player who has to trust the process........and to those guys perception is reality.   

don't get me wrong...there's needs to be a step forward.  that being said, comparing what mcd has done vs those other coaches isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison.

11 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

"Quibbling"? That's all you got? So, we should ONLY judge coaching excellence without regard to dozens of variables?

By your simplistic metric, Tomlin sucked last year; Belichick and Shannahan are bad coaches this year; if Vrabel doesn't go to the Super Bowl he has failed and Reid needs to repeat or be labeled a failure. There are no excuses. 

At least you are one more keyboard expert I can ignore. 

Bill Belichick: 26 NFL seasons as HC. 6 SB wisn. 3 other appearances. 31-12 in playoffs. 

Mike Tomlin: 14 NFL seasons as HC. 1 SB win. 1 other appearance. 8-7 in playoffs. 

Kyle Shanahan: 3 NFL seasons as HC. 1 SB appearance. 2-1 in playoffs. 

Mike Vrabel: 2 NFL seasons as HC. 2-1 in playoffs. 

Sean McDermott: 3 NFL seasons as HC. 0-2 in playoffs.

Who needs to prove themselves? And who has done that/on the way before 2020?  Is that really hard to understand?  

35 minutes ago, teef said:

don't get me wrong...there's needs to be a step forward.  that being said, comparing what mcd has done vs those other coaches isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Correct......but name one situation where you can compare HC hires/setups/rebuilds etc.. as "apples to apples"?

No two are exactly alike.

It's a non-argument.

In the NFL most observers/critics/players/coaches fill in the unknown with absolutes to decide how much to invest on the field...........and that's how a guy like Belichick keeps finding dudes to run thru the wall for him.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Bill Belichick: 26 NFL seasons as HC. 6 SB wisn. 3 other appearances. 31-12 in playoffs. 

Mike Tomlin: 14 NFL seasons as HC. 1 SB win. 1 other appearance. 8-7 in playoffs. 

Kyle Shanahan: 3 NFL seasons as HC. 1 SB appearance. 2-1 in playoffs. 

Mike Vrabel: 2 NFL seasons as HC. 2-1 in playoffs. 

Sean McDermott: 3 NFL seasons as HC. 0-2 in playoffs.

Who needs to prove themselves? And who has done that/on the way before 2020?  Is that really hard to understand?  

You clearly don't have the capacity to understand context and variables.  Let's take just two easy examples to help you follow along.

Tomlin 2019 - If someone didn't understand context, they would believe Tomlin was a bad coach last season, but others would point to the circumstances that led to a great falloff in the Steeler record and overall play.  

Belichick 2020 - Under .500, lost to Buffalo Bills, probably won't make the playoffs. Maybe he's a bad coach this season, or just maybe, he lost his Hall-of-Fame QB and a lot of other good players.

McDermott -

- First year, takes a perennial loser with a terrible roster and takes them to the playoffs, but loses on the road in a nail biter.  Is that good or bad? - Second year, they blowup the roster with huge cap problems and start all over with a rookie QB who needs a ton of coaching and fall to 6-10. Bad coaching?  

- Third year, best record in forever, creates a very good defense and his QB/offense make improvements, but lose in the playoffs in a nail biter on the road. Bad or Good coaching?  

- Fourth year, lead the division, good offense, defense getting better, undefeated in the division (including beating chief rival) and THERE ARE STILL FIVE GAMES IN THE SEASON. 

Context and variables are not excuses but they help explain the world. When things don't have easy answers those who can't think logically gravitate to easy, simplistic explanations. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sal is always peddling easy answers.

Yes,  by a lot of metrics the Bills look like a team that is lucky to be 8-3.

But that doesn't mean they need a "label" to explain that away.   

And being the worst second half defense in the NFL is not really the definition of resourceful...........struggling over and over in 3rd quarters is not being resourceful.........an inability to adapt is not resourcefulness.

The Bills are a good team with a difference making QB..........they have had some issues with discipline in assignments and focus and are probably one playmaker on either side of the ball from being able to finish lesser teams much earlier........but they have the potential to get better still this year too.

• Haha (+1) 1

Hey, Giuseppe , ya might have a look at the “ Organizational success since 2017 “ thread, you will maybe realize you worry about made up stuff far to much. We got a really good organization here in the Buffalo Bills, like it or not.👍

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Hey, Giuseppe , ya might have a look at the “ Organizational success since 2017 “ thread, you will maybe realize you worry about made up stuff far to much. We got a really good organization here in the Buffalo Bills, like it or not.👍

Go Bills!!!

Please direct him to that thread, the responses have been far too positive. 

I need the glass half empty posters to come join me over there! 

• Haha (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 4:49 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep 

0-2 in playoffs

1-6 versus chief rival

I am looking forward to McD doing what it takes to engineer a second defeat of the Patriots and an extended playoff run.......but I'm not a Bills player who has to trust the process........and to those guys perception is reality.   

Yup. 

0-2 in playoffs and 1-6 against the Pats ...

... in the first three years of a near-complete rebuild.

Being bad that early in a rebuild is and by anyone with any sense should be completely expected.

11 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Who else is feeling depressed besides the OP.

Nice necro-bump.

This. It's an old thread, but it was ridiculous the instant he posted it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

Who else is feeling depressed besides the OP.

The future is so bright I have to wear...well, glasses, because my eyesight ain't so great.  But they are transitions, so they're dark and I'm ready!  😎

And (certain members of) TBD gonna TBD.  There's a reason the expert analysts here are not "in the industry"...

:beer:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I disagree. McDermott has assembled a SB caliber locker room.  At least,  when I look at this team I envision this is what a SB caliber locker room looks n sounds like. 

McDermott is up there with the best of em right now. 

He built a phenomenal locker room n players will run through a wall for him. His defensive schemes are excellent, he holds O and ST to extremely high standards and he completely changed the culture of an irrelevant team,  that is now considered a top 3 team in the game almost unanimously. 

Has a Legit shot at coach of the year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1