Figured out why I feel amazing as a fan currently... Sean McDermott is an elite head coach.

DollaBills

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd rather keep Daboll but I agree he is likely gone. Definitely do not want Lynn. He has never coordinated an offense and his playcalling experience was for a run heavy team. 

We won't need to hire a DC. Leslie will still be here IMO.

Last nights game will look really good on Frazier's resume.

On 11/30/2020 at 12:19 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

***EDIT: Sean McDermott is an elite head coach. He can coach the Bills to a Super Bowl win; I have no doubt.***

Original god-awful post:

Figured out why I feel depressed as a fan currently... Sean McDermott is not good enough.

Belichick
Tomlin
Vrabel
Reid
Payton
Shanahan

These are the best coaches in the NFL... They either have next-level smarts or an elite ability to motivate players to perform.

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

One of the things that bothered me about this post right from the beginning hat nothing to do with whether McD was a great, good, or even a poor coach.   What bothered me was the list of "elite coaches" 

Kyle Shanahan???  He's had one winning season, other three seasons he's finished in 4th, 3rd, 4th place  Think the OP has confused his success as an OC with HC success.

Mike Tomlin  Personally I've never been all that impressed with him won a SB in his second season likely with much of Cowlers roster, lost another in his 4th season and made it to one other conference championship game.  Even with a franchise QB all those seasons, often struggled, last season with Big Ben out he finished 8-8.  Once Ben retires unless the Steelers get lucky and somehow find a comparable replacement, I'll be shocked if within 3 seasons he's not fired due to a losing record.  Seem to recall him making some dumb moves in games too over the years.  Maybe his problem is simply being in the same place too long and has gone stale.

Even Sean Peyton, like to see how he does without Drew Brees before calling him truly elite.

On the other hand the Detroit Lions even with a very good to elite QB, no coach has been able to win there.

McD elevated this year over last. Last year he was overly conservative. This year he allowed us to be more aggressive on offense. I won’t call him elite until we see what happens when he has to make tough decisions in the next 2 games. YES I SAID 2 GAMES. 

McD the past 4 years has proven he was a good if not very good regular season coach. 

2017 - He overachieves with a team that most likely was a 6-7 win team. Lucks into the playoffs but proves his process and game style works. 

2018- He somehow gets 6 wins out of a team boasting a bad ST unit and the second worst offense in the league. 

2019- 10 wins (could have been 11 if they didn't rest week 17) and development for Josh. Cements himself as not being a one hit wonder and gets a young team some playoff experience. 

2020- 13 wins and a division title and one hail Murray away from a 14th win. Excellent season where the team had some issues early but turned it into full gear the second half of the year. 

But the questions coming out of the 2020 regular season was can McD win in the playoffs? He won against Indy in a squeaker but he still needed to prove that he can win consistently against elite competition. Against the Ravens his team proved that. Now we can see where this team and Josh stands against elite competition next week.

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sure but I don't think teams hire on one game. Not even teams as dysfunctional as Houston.

What a train wreck they are and all it took was trading away an Icon.... Hopkins to get the avalanche started

I am SO PISSED ABOUT THIS GAME. 

I could have handled the loss, If we played our game. Instead we get a SCARED coaching display. What I saw today I saw from every other Bills coaching staff for 2 Decades against NE. 

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am SO PISSED ABOUT THIS GAME. 

I could have handled the loss, If we played our game. Instead we get a SCARED coaching display. What I saw today I saw from every other Bills coaching staff for 2 Decades against NE. 

This hit home. My sentiments exactly. We change what we do and who we are. That’s my biggest problem. We get blown out being aggressive I’ll live with that. 
The evidence is there- being aggressive pays off. 

• Like (+1) 1