Figured out why I feel amazing as a fan currently... Sean McDermott is an elite head coach.

DollaBills

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

Ugh, he is way overrated. I'm right there with you.

A buddy of mine had his kid in youth sports with his kid. He was exactly as you would imagine as a youth sports parent. Cursing out the refs, belittling the coaches. They said he was a complete Neanderthal. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm the only person on this board who's ever been wrong! ☺

I feel for ya. I made a similar and more negative thread after the opening day loss to the Ravens in 2018. 

it’s amazing the same coach/GM that had peterman as opening day starter and shelter for Josh Allen got us to this point. 

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

And if my Aunt.....

My aunt is bisexual 

12 minutes ago, london_bills said:

If we lost yesterday he would of been seen as not good enough by many. 0-3 in playoffs. Fine margins

And by not losing McD has now exonerated that no playoff win concern (thank god- it would have taken a whole year for another shot).

Now, there is undeniable year over year improvement.  Improved record, improved/dangerous offense, and playoff victory.  The future is bright.

• Like (+1) 2

McD is stubbornly loyal and resistant to making quick changes to his approach.

He values continuity over the chaos of reactive leadership. This sometimes is frustrating and reminds me of that comic picture of a captain saluting as his ship sinks and the waters cover him, but that is part of his concept of process; an organization that has a vision and will stay on course pursuing that vision and is not going to become reactionary.

That being said, he clearly believes there is a right time for internal discussions and self-scouting, as well as being open to philosophical/strategic coaching changes.  For example, they went out and found a new o-line coach, they went out and found a new special teams coach. Both of these moves have paid dividends over the longer term.

After a win you can get roasted here if you critique some of the ways our team could have played better. I do think this is misguided because I think it falls into that reactionary mindset of "this team sucks fire them all" after a loss and "this team is unstoppable" after a win. These are just fans being carried along by the emotion of the game - I get it and try not to take it personally when folks go nuts if I criticize a play.

But McD when told that Allen had said post-game (paraphrasing here) that he was happy that although the team started out slow they were able to find their groove and move the ball/score, and then McD was asked if he was happy about that ability the offense had to course-correct. His response, was to smile and comment that he would rather we did not fall behind to start out a game.

That is a fair response from a coach, and one that also shows that he is aware that our defense this year plays much better with a padded lead where they can focus on stopping the pass. He has done a good job with this team and is trying to build something sustainable. It has been fugly at times, but it is hard to argue with his track record to date.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/video/2020-nfl-on-fox-awards-sean-mcdermott-named-coach-of-the-year/vi-BB1cznsH

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

This has aged like fine curdled buttermilk. Carry on! :w00t:

It has but not nearly as much as "miami is going to win the division" "Bills will lose 12 straight"  "Dont look now but the Pats are making a comeback and dont be surprised if they keep the Bills from the wildcard" "Can't win with this point differential"  and the list goes on and on.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 1/10/2021 at 4:43 PM, YoloinOhio said:

A buddy of mine had his kid in youth sports with his kid. He was exactly as you would imagine as a youth sports parent. Cursing out the refs, belittling the coaches. They said he was a complete Neanderthal. 

Who you talking about Vrabel??

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

• Giuseppe Tognarelli changed the title to Figured out why I feel amazing as a fan currently... Sean McDermott is an elite head coach.